Mental Health Trazadone and the opiate receptors

DoctorMolecule

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed 150-200mg trazadone for insomnia issues, been taking it for about 5 years (started at 50mg, been at 150mg for 3 years). I've noticed my pupils are very constricted during their therapeutic duration.
My question: I know trazadone is an SSRI, and medications like tramadol are SNRI but's main metabolite acts on the brains opiate receptors, does trazadone have or have the potential to act on these receptors as well? My only evidence is pupil constriction

Edit: does this need to be moved? Mods?

Last edited:
Trazodone has an interesting metabolite, mCCP. Not very recreational, a strange one. I'd expect more pupil dilation than constriction from trazodone, but then the metabolite is only most active the day after taking trazodone.

I think that in general when people are tired, their pupils tend to constrict.

Trazodone has an interesting metabolite, mCCP. Not very recreational, a strange one. I'd expect more pupil dilation than constriction from trazodone, but then the metabolite is only most active the day after taking trazodone.

I think that in general when people are tired, their pupils tend to constrict.
Yeah but I mean pin points that don't respond to changes in light stimuli

Hey, OP. I'm on trazadone for the same reason (same dose, too). I don't know a lot about trazadone's pharmacokinetics, but I can offer one piece of data... I take naltrexone (actually the once-a-month injected version, vivitrol) as part of my effort to stay off heroin. The naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, a very strong one, and yet the trazadone hits me like a ton of bricks. So my hunch is that traz doesn't bind to opioid receptors.

Also, fwiw, I think traz is an SARI, not an SSRI.