• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mexico opens up its heroin fight to U.S., U.N. observers

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
r

For the first time in at least a decade, Mexico's army is allowing the United States and the United Nations to observe opium poppy eradication, a step toward deeper cooperation to fight heroin traffickers, three sources in Mexico said.

The opening could bring Mexico more in line with other drug producing countries like Afghanistan, Colombia and Peru that have been heavily involved with the United Nations in cultivation studies and eradication efforts.

The Mexican army hopes to gain more credit at home and abroad for its work and address doubts in Washington about the quality of its data and the success of the eradication program, the officials said.

Last week, the army flew U.S. military, U.N. and embassy officials into the heart of Mexico's heroin country to witness the destruction of fields of opium poppies, according to two of the officials with knowledge of the operation.

The ride-along marked the first time Mexico's army has allowed U.S. and U.N. officials to observe its efforts since it took over most drug eradication activities in 2007, and three more site visits are in the works, according to one of the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, owing to the sensitivity of the matter.

The army is also preparing to implement by this summer hardware and software developed by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) to allow soldiers to file data to headquarters on destroyed fields in real time, two of the officials said.

The information could be used to create a real-time registry of eradication efforts that would give a better idea of how much of the crop is being destroyed.

The shift by the army coincides with high-level bilateral talks between Mexico and the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump about how to stem the flow of heroin north into the United States and guns and money south into Mexico.

However, U.S efforts to improve relations with the Mexican army and support eradication date back to at least last year, when U.S. assistant secretary of state for narcotics William Brownfield told the U.S. Congress that more needed to be done to destroy fields of opium, the raw material used to make heroin.

Two of the sources said the army arranged the trip to gain more credibility with the U.S. government as Mexico steps up eradication efforts. The army is also trying to win the trust of the Mexican public, given concerns about human rights abuses since it was deployed to fight drug gangs in the last decade.

GOLDEN TRIANGLE

The visit to Mexico's Golden Triangle of narco-states coincided with Trump's unveiling of a task force to tackle the U.S. heroin epidemic in which use of the drug has risen five-fold in the past decade, according to researchers.

The army took the U.S. military officials on helicopter tours of half a dozen sites in Sinaloa and Chihuahua, two of the three states that along with Durango make up the Golden Triangle where most Mexican opium is produced, one of the sources said.

Adam Isacson, an expert on the Mexican military at the Washington Office on Latin America, said the United States had been trying for more than two decades to gain the confidence of Mexican generals and interpreted the new opening as a step toward closer collaboration.

"It's a big development," he said. "Is the U.S. now going to fund an increased pace of eradication operations?"

The U.S. embassy in Mexico declined to comment for this story, as did the Mexican army and Mexico's foreign ministry.

In a written response to questions, the UNODC said it was looking forward to strengthening cooperation with Mexico but did not comment on the specifics of talks with Mexico or the tour.

The Mexican army's distrust of the United States goes back generations owing to the institution's deeply held nationalism. While the Mexican navy has worked closely with U.S. agents to take down drug lords, and the United States has provided millions of dollars of equipment and training for police in Mexico, the army has until now recoiled from close collaboration.

Roberta Jacobson, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico, was seen as key in pushing forward talks with the army since late last year, the sources said.

Mexican poppy cultivation has more than doubled since 2013 to around 28,000 hectares in 2015, according to U.S. estimates. That is enough to produce around 70 tons of heroin, compared with estimates of U.S. demand in recent years that range from 24 tons to 50 tons.

The Mexican army destroyed 25,960 hectares of opium fields in 2015, up 77 percent from 14,662 hectares in 2013, according to army data.

That would suggest Mexico destroyed most of the 2015 crop. But estimates of Mexican cultivation are based on satellite images, unlike census-based U.N. programs that can confidently map cultivation and eradication data.

Mexico partnered with UNODC in 2013 and issued a first cultivation report last year, about a decade after the U.N. began to work with Colombia, Peru and Bolivia.

(Additional reporting by Alexandra Alper and Lizbeth Diaz; Editing by Frank Jack Daniel and Andrew Hay)

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-mexico-heroin-idUSKBN1792WE

Good, all that heroin is making the fentanyl too weak. Now we can have pure fentanyl instead of that fent cut with heroin weakening it.

I was just about to say something similar. Do they not know that the draw (at least here in NH) is fentanyl? No one wants Heroin anymore...

^ i was being cynical. I think heroin is way better, better high, lasts 5X longer, less lethal.

although i know ppl with fent tolerances probably think heroin is a joke

I don't understand the point of destroying these fields, when they can harvest them for big pharma and save tons for the production of opioid pharms and poppy products.

Why destroy?

I don't understand the point of destroying these fields, when they can harvest them for big pharma and save tons for the production of opioid pharms and poppy products.

Why destroy?

Because it makes it seem like something is being done to curb illicit use. Since heroin is the scourge that is always linked to fent and ODs, even tho unadulterated heroin is fairly safe, the addition of fent or analogues indeed makes it deadly. So when reporting on the opiate of crisis the two drugs go hand in hand even tho fent is the real culprit. It would be good to save them and use them to make pharmas but they have to put on the show.

And since the us is changing its stance on mmj the cartels know there's more money in smack, thus the increase in production. It's more time and money to invest( need lots of land and collecting is laborious) but the payoff is huge compared to weed. The farmers make more money too. I'm sure none of those fields belonged to any jefes..Shit they prob have the gov protecting certain field just like in Afghanistan.

Also Mexican production methods have improved so you see more brown powder and even occasionally light tan powder that tests out in the high 80s. There will always be tar of course.

But this thing of letting the us gov in is just a show. It has to seem like something is being done to curb opiates when really they are focusing on the wrong country. Sure the cartels traffic in Chinese fent and fent analogues, but the shit is being made in China. For quite some time if you had the money you could buy carfentanil shipped from HK easy peasy. And iirc there is some town in eastern china that is nothing but drug factories. Illegal and legal. Self contained and like everyone in this town is in the trade to some degree.

Heroin is always going to be here. In fact heroin purity today is higher than it has ever been. Over 3 decades of interdiction efforts and it has only gotten stronger and cheaper.

Pissing in the wind.

Why destroy?

I thought they also grew different strains of poppy for medical production. Like they'd been bred to produce more thebaine for oxycodone/hydrocodone synthesis... But I could be wrong.

But also what medicine cabinet said for sure--to make it seem like they're doing SOMETHING

I would be very hesitant to say heroin is safe by any means. there are several studies that link diacetylmorphine to many diseases (not talking about HIV), but for short term use, obviously Fentanyl is the culprit.

And damn, government saving the world by burning poppy fields lmfao.

That's an interesting theory. I don't know tbh. But I'm sure some of the fields they burn would have been suitable for pharma. Seems like they just fuckin' burn everything. And yeah that makes sense. All about appealing to us without having to actually do anything to better us lol.
I thought they also grew different strains of poppy for medical production. Like they'd been bred to produce more thebaine for oxycodone/hydrocodone synthesis... But I could be wrong.

But also what medicine cabinet said for sure--to make it seem like they're doing SOMETHING

I remember reading an interesting article a while back about how most of the poppies destined for medical uses are grown in Tasmania

The Tasmanian opium poppy farming industry was established in Tasmania in 1966.[1][2]

Farms in Tasmania produce about 50%[3] of the world's licit poppy straw that is later refined into opiates such as morphine and codeine.[4]

Tasmanian Alkaloids is Tasmania's largest corporate grower of opium poppies.[5]

A downy mildew outbreak in the 2014 poppy-growing season led to one Tasmanian company to look into growing poppies in the Northern Territory and Victoria of Australia.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_opium_poppy_farming_industry

Shangri La

Actually living in a Chinese drug factory town probably sucks, lol

Why destroy?
Because there is enough grown legally to provide all the needs of the pharmaceutical industry.

I think it's good they destroy the poppy fields, heroin is a fuckin horrible drug to most people.
I think they should execute the people operating the fields, not the poor farmer who probably being forced to grow but the next level up. Shoot the cunts in the face and burn them aling with the poppies.

Shangri La

Actually living in a Chinese drug factory town probably sucks, lol

Also found an article on the town of Boshne. paints a picture of squalid villages ridden in chemical waste and meth addicts but with nice 4 story villas and BMWs parked in driveways.

Also found an article on the town of Boshne. paints a picture of squalid villages ridden in chemical waste and meth addicts but with nice 4 story villas and BMWs parked in driveways.

Can't remember the name but that's he way it sounded...Squalor with some BMWs lol

You come off as emotional, angry, and worst of all, uneducated.

The poppy plant is used to synthesize many pharmaceuticals that treat chronic pain patients every day. Most poppy farmers are not forced to grow. They are paid. The people operating the fields are doing what they can to make their living.

Drugs need not be romanticized. There is no such thing as a bad drug. If a rock climber freeclimbs a mountain with no safety or protection equipment and falls to their death, no one blames the mountain. If a heroin user overdoses, all of the media and therefore most of the population blames the drug instead of the person's irresponsible use leading to addiction.

Anyways, the point of my post was to say they should not burn the plants, but rather use them to produce the pharms that require such plant to be produced anyways.

I think it's good they destroy the poppy fields, heroin is a fuckin horrible drug to most people.
I think they should execute the people operating the fields, not the poor farmer who probably being forced to grow but the next level up. Shoot the cunts in the face and burn them aling with the poppies.

The poppy is used to synthesise many pharmaceuticals?
No they are no, not the poppies that are being burnt. They are only used to produce heroin.
The farmers are paid barely anything and the cartels get all the money. The same cartels that rape and murder kidnap torture behead and dismember men women and children.
When I used first used heroin I was a 16 year old kid. Kids are irresponsible so not sure what your getting at about the mountain thing, there's not a mountain on every street corner.

The point of your post was to say they should use the poppies to produce pharms? Why do they need to do that? Is there a shortage of pharms?