• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How LSD is compared to what you seen in movies

I think that the most accurate depiction I have seen in a film, if you could consider it accurate, was in Taking Woodstock with Demetri Martin. Some hippies dose him and it's the least caricatured version of someone tripping I have seen in film. Of course the movie van't always convey the personal sense of wonder, infinity, or becoming a fractal.

Every other movie I can recall just talks about how crazy acid makes you. Almost Famous and SLC Punk are two shining examples of this.

One thing the movies can't really show is the way that words and concepts become almost unbearably meaningful and significant. A word or figure of speech in your everyday vernacular might suddenly make you feel incredibly fake for even thinking of it, and prompt you to become extremely introspective. It can be downright terrifying, but also extremely valuable from a therapeutic perspective.

Then there's the thought loops, and losing your sense of time. If you're taking notes during your trip, you might suddenly come to the realization that a thought feels utterly foreign or like something from ages ago, even if it's only been 15 minutes since you wrote it down. Or you realize that 15 minutes ago you were planning on embarking on a grand expedition to the fridge to grab some iced tea, yet you haven't even gotten up from the couch because you've been going through the same thoughts and actions over and over and over again.

In general, LSD is probably one of the most difficult hallucinogens to accurately depict on film, as it is a very mindfuck-heavy substance. It's not some "haha, check out those crazy random Rick&Morty-style visuals"-thing, but something that affects your very thought processes.

Movies can't even begin to sketch it out.

Poetry does it better sometimes:

The clouds are really low,
And they overflow,
With cotton candy
And battle grounds,
Red and brown.

But it's all in your mind
(Hendrix, J.)

For me LSD is largely mental so no movie can fully grasp that effect. I do get some visual patterning but I can easily ignore the visuals if i am focused. As a previous poster mentioned typical sentences, especially if you are typing, can seem incorrect or somehow different then normal course of language. So basically if I didnt trust myself to communicate properly it would be easy for me to sit there reading the same text going "see you soon, bye" did I spell bye right is that the right word it doesnt seem right. That kind of thinking. Things take on a different significance and im more likely to notice the stuff I would consider mundane or trivial like the body language of the people talking across the street suddenly i can read that its a pleasant conversation, only because it drew my attention because I was on l

It's not some "haha, check out those crazy random Rick&Morty-style visuals"-thing, but something that affects your very thought processes.

^For that I mix it with ketamine that is serious portal into other dimension material, just dont be in public ;)

Movies mostly consider some relatively superficial effects like what it can do to your senses, or how it affects you and your life... but the more essential effects can't really be compared because they are the change in perspective, the immersion and the profundity.
This does to relate to what was said before about how meaningful, strange, alien or novel ordinary things can seem. It's hilarious to hear spoken words purely as the sounds without a grasp on the language. It can feel like a special privilege to be part of just the moment you're in. It can also play many tricks on your mind by the constant feedback and interaction of your mental conceptions being projected, which is then experienced powerfully and further influences the projections so that they flow and change constantly.

It's not like just seeing things that aren't there (like on deliriants) while just feeling like your regular self. It's not like completely losing your mind either, although at times people panic and fear that they have lost theirs... because of how altered they feel and how bizarre and impressive it can be.

It's easy to get very sensitive, impressionable and open to suggestion... although on mushrooms this tends to be more extreme, so much so that I lose a lot of control over myself.

Half of this story can make it seem like you are a child again, but the other half quite the opposite: like you can tap into some sage wisdom.

All of this exists within ourselves, but on acid our minds get so plastic that we can bend to these extremes and have it all meet. And there are more extremes, things in the depths of our mind that surface - for some shit that they have a hard time confronting. For others this is welcome because confronting this nonetheless, can be so therapeutic and unifying. Being open to the recesses of your mind and allowing all parts of yourself to be can be freeing and can give you a feeling of peace.

Maybe forget about the movies, the misconceptions that can come from them probably aren't worth the truthful impression they can give you.

When the character that Johnny Depp plays in The Rum Diaries takes LSD, the way it is depicted and acted out is somewhat similar to a real LSD trip imo.

Actually the scene in fear and loathing in Las Vegas when they arrive in Vegas tripping on LSD, the carpet is swirling all over. That is very similar to the kind of visuals that can be produced. But it's a 1000x more beautiful than actually depicted. Don't take LSD lightly. That's about the most accurate depiction but he is high as hell on a lot of other shit too.

I think The Holy Mountain comes closest to the mental effects of acid. I do feel however that it's even closer to mushrooms.

Seriously, that film is a shamanic experience in itself.

It basically isn't anything at all like how it's portrayed in the movies. It's not about seeing things that aren't there, or dancing pink elephants or what have you. There are visuals for sure, it's mainly patterning and morphing of objects, changes in size, breathing, etc. But, the visuals are not at all the main part of the experience. What is not portrayed in movies is the change in the way you think. It profoundly alters your consciousness. This can lead to all kinds of experiences. It's difficult to describe what psychedelics are like to experience.

The most important thing to remember is that it will powerfully alter the way you think, which can be either wonderful or terrifying, depending on various factors including the setting you're in when you take it, and how well you deal with things being out of control. The visuals are sort of just the eye candy, I don't really even care about visuals (although they can be really cool), it's all about the head change.

Imagine a deaf person who want to know what music is like, and he ask you if its like what he see in films when there is actors listening music.

It basically isn't anything at all like how it's portrayed in the movies. It's not about seeing things that aren't there, or dancing pink elephants or what have you.

I'm not sure you have any idea of the kind of balls Dumbo tripped ;p

An episode of Family Guy entertained the question of what happens when you take mushrooms as Brian ate what looked like an eighth ounce and began to trip hard. It shows him entering a black space where he starts to fall down a staircase as monsters pop out from nowhere and he is suddenly swimming underwater. It's nothing like that. It is for more sensual.

Ketamine has been a bit like that falling in blackness and underwater stuff for me. But something like mushrooms does things to me like
- make me feel like i have lost my mind
- make everything seem fairytale like and caricaturesque
- give me a closed eyed vision of white teletubby like beings just frolicking around retardedly
- give me a closed eyed vision of a clown behind bars, zooming out rapidly seeing him locked away in some strange world, with the vision ending with some looney tunes like jingle, like a jolly 'you're fucked'
- with psilohuasca i had a vision of sitting on a chair in some nowhere space with a clone of me walking around me, inspecting me. There was just pure confusion on both our faces, and inability to communicate or recognize in any way.
- making people look like they have bellybuttons instead of faces.

I don't really want to talk about when reality gets completely blown off the hinges right now, that is so hard to depict anyway. Ineffable even.

I remember on synthetic psilocin my hands turning into (really tasty and elaborately looking) spaghetti bolognese, being really amazed by the guy on youtube who reconstructed a skrillex track purely a capella (yeah i know - i have no love for the guy but seeing that video while tripping was bizarre!!)... and then lying down with actual good music and facing my ultimate mortality, but at that point it had gotten almost a routine part of any real trip, being used to much more than deep confrontation (like rebirth, ego death, or cycling through ego deaths at high frequency). My roommate walked by like "you forgot about that being part of the package deal?", and it was beautiful.

Now I am not used to that kind of ego death stuff anymore at all and I am anxious about going far with that again.

Last edited:
I like the bit in Mad Men where Roger Sterling takes acid. He thinks it's a load of bunk as everyone else is saying how far out they are. Then he uncorks a bottle of whisky and hears a symphony playing. He then realised that he's been deceiving himself for years.
Probably closer to the real thing than many other movies!

I agree with what is stated above but that short vid is getting close enough

[video]https://youtu.be/Mzi90VLTszI[/video]

Enjoy! Preferably Under the influence...

How about this though, a video of a zoo whilst having visuals of a supermarket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPaCWJL7XI
lol
exhibit A: check the top rated comment
(maybe there was some DMT or DMT analogue involved on top of this acid trip though - not the same style)

If you're interested in more, check out Google Deep Dream, and the info in the intro of this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb423QBQDk
Oh haha what follows is the vid you posted, coincidentally.

Last edited: