• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are humans beautiful animals?

i think the ultimate meaning of beauty is perfectly objective...
how would you go about objectively measuring beauty?

things have to look a certain way and be weighted and balanced in curves and lines to specific degree and angles that make a person or thing beautiful..
not necessarily at all.

you're equating beauty with 'well-balanced', etc. there can be beauty in imperfection too.

alasdair

Last edited:
I was walking to work the other day ago and I was looking at the ducks going down the river and others sitting along the bank and realised they were a handsome lot with lovely diverse colour running through them. Brought a smile to my face. Also at my moms place she has feeders out for the birds and a various diverse bunch of birds flock to it. The colour running through them was amazing. Took a few minutes to watch them eat and squabble with each other. Hilarious but they were all beatuiful. Lovely creatures plus they are smart

we're a very physically diverse species, appearance-wise.
it's almost like asking if dogs are beautiful.

i'd say physically - sometimes.
and culturally - sometimes, but infrequently.

i think dolphins are very beautiful.

great question.

The key word was "infrequently". I think it is sad where we have gone as a culture. This topic reminds me of a great quote by Richard Pryor. I tried to attach it here but I don't know how.

[h=1]“You can't talk about fucking in America, people say you're dirty. But if you talk about killing somebody, that's cool.”
[/h]I think that really says a lot. :(

I think beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, you can only claim a measure of objectivity in beauty for yourself because it's entirely subjective. It's possible to see beauty in anything. Most of the time I think just about anything I look at is beautiful... I find it beautiful because of many possible reasons, and if nothing else, because I realize it's composed of an infinity of complexity, billions of particles that are themselves composed of countless particles, mostly empty space, the macroscopic universe repeated on a microscopic level, which dissolves all sense of scale and brushes infinity.