⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Ghost in the Shell

Shale

Bluelighter
Ghost in the Shell
Movie Blurb by Shale
April 5, 2017

This was definitely a must-see movie for me and it opened last Friday but due to healing from skin surgery on Thursday and dental appointments on Monday & Tuesday, this is the first chance to venture out on a long bike ride to the Cinema.

Of course I am in love with Natasha Romanov, Black Widow, Lucy, Scarlett Johansson who plays Major Mira Killian, the central figure in this movie adaptation of a Japanese Manga (comic book) and anime movie of the same name.

Set in the not too far future, but far enuf that most ppl in the world are obsessed with having their bodies enhanced with cybernetics, the movie opens with beautiful CGI scenes of Mira being assembled. She is unique as the only part of her body that survived a terrorist attack was her brain and it is the first to integrate with a cybernetic body.

Under Construction
ghost-in-the-shell-trailer-6.jpg

But there are intrigues in the Hanka Robotics company that makes these cybernetic enhancements real and within a year after Mira is put together she has become a Major in Section 9, a counterterrorism unit, chasing after an elusive villain who is attacking the company and killing off its key personnel.

Maybe Next Time You'll Make Me Better
ghost_shell_704_2_0.jpg

The movie got mixed reviews and there was criticism or "whitewashing" for casting Scarlett Johansson as the central character, even tho she fit quite well in the role and except for epicanthic eyelid folds would pass for Asian. BTW, her body is a cybernetic construction - racial features are optional.

What Are U
3A2815E900000578-3914476-image-m-156_1478551501853.jpg

I liked the movie, visuals of an Asian futuristic metropolis with holografic ad images everywhere sets the mood for all the action and mayhem that takes place in this movie.

So, how do you think this compares to GITS? GITS to me was probably one of the best anime ever made. And really doesn't need a live action remake.

I'm kind of intrigued but leaning more torwards it being total Hollywood tripe.

Hopefully wrong though. Can anyone confirm/deny?

So, how do you think this compares to GITS? GITS to me was probably one of the best anime ever made. And really doesn't need a live action remake.

I have no idea how it compares to anything, having never seen the comic books or seen the anime. That is just background on the history of the story.

I don't compare movies to books, plays, animations etc. They are a different medium.

you should see the original, Shale. i am not an anime fan and still consider a classic piece of cinema. better than The Matrix and rivals the harrison ford one. the original original, not the fucked up sepia 2.0 version.

plan on seeing this remake over the weekend. maybe. trying to quit green and not sure i can watch a movie without it.

Last edited:
Seen GITS 1, 2, parts of SAC.

Movie was decent, people will find anything to gripe about

I'm not much of an Anime fan but I thought the GITS anime was phenomenal.

I will check this out, perhaps if anything the movie will expose more people to the anime.

Bump.

I just finished watching this. I actually quite enjoyed it. They really did a good job at matching it scene for scene in some parts, surreal seeing it come to life in 3D.

They definitely cut down some dialogue and rushed some parts, but it didn't bother me.

I really enjoyed it. The thing is it's pretty hard to watch it and not compare it to GITS anime which will only lead to frustration and disappointment as it's not the same.

For those that have not seen the anime version then this will stand it's ground as a really good movie.

I was waiting for the part where a person with the super upgraded mechanical fingers showed up... and yup they included it!

Would make any sort of keyboard work a lot faster, and help those with RSI / carpal tunnel / tendonitis

I love the anime (movies and SAC series' and I'm just now getting to Arise), but I'll wait until it's on HBO or something before I see it. GITS is what got me interested in anime to begin with, so I'm concerned about the plot, not just 3D effects. I'm afraid it'll follow the standard Americanization of intelligent of foreign cinema and be robbed of plot, intelligence, and meaning which makes GITS so appealing to me to begin with.

Motoko is played by a white chick for fucks sake.

I'm afraid GITS lost it's soul in it's iterations following Solid State Society, but I'll withhold condemnation before I see it...

^
I thought that was so appealing about GITS was that characters would sort of rant about these intellectual questions that they had, which felt uniquely bizarre to a Western audience because, well...no one does that in a movie or a cartoon. Even taking it to greater lengths with Innocence. Maybe Waking Life, but thats more a conversation and probably something completely different.

Also in GITS you get the sense that Major was/is truly a badass and as a character she is completely refreshing.
(I'm not sure who could pull her off in a movie tbh, Linda Hamilton was good in T2 and I dont quite see ScarJo doing it)

Last edited:
The film was a completely different experience from the anime, but it was still good. It succeeded at communicating a complex idea in a way the general public could understand.