• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug Policy Discussion, Research Papers, New Laws, Misc.

Yeah I definitely agree, but I don't think I quite get what you're trying to say. Mdma isn't a replacement for cocaine, other than just being a party drug, and it's also not an RC. And they're both already schedule I

Cocaine use is definitely not as common as it used to be, like I said, it's not the 80s anymore, but my point was that RCs (which is what I thought you meant by synthetic stimulants such as 4-fa) still aren't more popular than cocaine.

AH-7921 placed in DEA Schedule I

[Federal Register Volume 81, Number 72 (Thursday, April 14, 2016)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Pages 22023-22025]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2016-08566]
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Drug Enforcement Administration
21 CFR Part 1308
[Docket No. DEA-432]
Schedules of Controlled Substances: Placement of AH-7921 Into Schedule I
AGENCY: Drug Enforcement Administration, Department of Justice.
ACTION: Final order.

SUMMARY: With the issuance of this final order, the Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration places the substance AH-7921 (Systematic IUPAC Name: 3,4-dichloro-N-[(1dimethylamino)cyclohexylmethyl]benzamide), including its isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, esters and ethers, into schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act. This scheduling action is pursuant to the Controlled Substances Act and is required in order for the United States to discharge its obligations under the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961. This action imposes the regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal sanctions applicable to schedule I controlled substances on persons who handle (manufacture, distribute, import, export, engage in research or conduct instructional activities with, or possess), or propose to handle, AH-7921.

DATES: Effective May 16, 2016.

http://deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2016/fr0414_4.htm

This means that U-47700 is also likely to be controlled, as it's a simple isomer of AH7921 - which is now schedule I.
AH7921-U47700.tif

DEA come to ruin everyone's fun again.

Last edited:
U47700 is pretty strong right? Are doses like single digit mgs like fent? I saw on edata a few submissions one was purported oxy but was u47700. Plus since a few ppl od'd off these rcs its no wonder they are CI now....I've heard IV u47700 is pretty good, very heroin like. But as we all know it's subjective to the user.

U47700 is pretty strong right? Are doses like single digit mgs like fent? I saw on edata a few submissions one was purported oxy but was u47700. Plus since a few ppl od'd off these rcs its no wonder they are CI now....I've heard IV u47700 is pretty good, very heroin like. But as we all know it's subjective to the user.

yeah i think it was higher than fent but maybe single digits, it wasn't totally unreasonable though. i think it was one of the better legal opis prob but never tried it. def better than fent and mt 45 and stuff like that.

Banning of all nbomes and 2c-X in Canada on October 13th 2016

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2016/2016-05-04/html/sor-dors73-eng.php

That's a downer. Canadian vendors have sold 2c-x materials since there was Canadian RC vendors. 2c-B was banned in 1994 and it never left the streets, got a bit more rare than in the late 90's early '00s where every weed dealer had "Nexus" also to sell.

No vendor has made any communiqué about this. Anybody good enough can figure out if this includes mescaline analogues (proscaline, escaline, allylescaline, methallylescaline) ?

I am sad face upon learning about this, this rainy sunday morning. I wonder why now. Harper didn't give a shit about RC's, he was focused on already illegal drugs (kinda, you know they don't care really). Fucking Trudeau, the NDP as opposition and Layton heir Mulcair made one one hell of a job making Harper look like a dipshit in parliament (hence why he would prorogue it as often as possible). NDP and Libs often work with each other, like when an NDP MP lays down a bill, Libs will go with it most of the time, as they consider the fact they were illegally prevented from making a coaliation government in a previous election where Harper was going insane and doing a bunch of unconstitutional manoeuvres to prevent it from happening. We never had a Coalition government, unlike pretty much all other Commonwealth country, but we can, it's in the Constitution/Law. I can't believe they bother with banning 2c-x. Maybe they were targetting nbomes most of all, and I think that's kind of fair game since that series was misrepresented as LSD all the time and people who would take multiple hits of L and who got a linear reaction to it, did not with nbome, those things are exponential when dosed heavily. But 2c?s most people never heard of em. This is bullshit. I bet if somebody wants some from another country they will be able to, easily. But for Canadian vendors, 2cs are some of their largest sellers, classics like 2c-E, 2c-c, 2c-I have all proven to be pretty much harmless, people don't go on toxic psychosis on these unless they take ridiculous amounts.

They say the ban is after 180 days starting the day after this was published. So april 16 + 180 days = 13 october 2016.

edit: I was thinking that maybe this would be more appropriate for another forum, if so, other mods, move it. To me it would be a front page worthy even. But I don't make those decisions.

I'll be stocking as much 2c-E as I can for sure. Maybe 2c-t-7 if I can even find it, I know nobody up here sells it, well I know, more like afaik. It's a shame 2c-x are blanketed by this attack that's mostly on nbomes. I wonder if this affect bk-2c-b, 2c-B-FLY and bromodragonfly (if that's something different from 2C-B-FLY, I'm not sure, I was in a no more psychedelics mindset when those showed up, I had enough LSD that it wasn't showing me anything anymore. It was pretty much like : You were shown the path to get out of your negative patterns in life and was filled with joy for life...you guys know how psychedelics often give you hindsights that are so seemingly obvious and that the change you looked for was possible...until you forgot about it/got lazy again and going back into negative patterns and constant anger and anxiety,that I was only expressing through anger for most of my life, not always, but I guess it was a defense mechanism). Benzo therapy (Bipolar I here, can't take SSRI's/SNRI's, the only antidepressant I can take is Manerix (moclobemide), it's only in Canada, UK and Australia, it's a reversible MAOI so you do not need any diet where eating cheese and eating a bowl of cereal could kill you like the first synthetic antidepressant MAOI's). But the happiness it makes you feel, feels so fake, I mean, I was like a pure child, walking in the sunset was a wonderful experience, I would think about my problems and it would not start to give me anxiety (moclobemide makes benzos stronger for sure). But this isn't about me, so in small character this goes.

Last edited:
This is very unfortunate, but not surprising - these drugs were recently scheduled by the UNODC, so all member states are required to schedule them as well. On the bright side, all of the mescaline analogues you mentioned are not affected, as they are not substituted at the 2' position.

25D-NBOMe was the first drug that I was for banning.

But perhaps the way to do it is to not ban the ones that don't hurt us in the first place.

This just passed the House of Representatives and has yet to go through the Senate. Bye bye 4 sub tryptamines. I think a lot of people forgot about this bill or weren't even aware of it. It sure has been a hard month for cognitive liberty and self determination in the U.S.! Just wanted to make you guys aware.

Did anybody notice that the bill that just passed the House is MUCH different than the original bill that was proposed last year? The bill that just passed only adds a few synthetic cannabinoids, three fentanyl analogs, and 7 psychedelic RCs that are pretty well-known in the RC world (bromo-dragonfly, DOC, MDAI, etc) to Schedule 1. It's much different from the original bill that would have added dozens and dozens of substances to Schedule 1. So it's still bad, but not quite as bad as the original proposal.

Yes, I noticed thanks to a different forum.

This is the bill as it was passed into NOT BY the senate: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3537/text . It is in a senate committee at the moment. But it's in a high level committee (Justice) one not known as a bill killer.

I do not know law that well, but I believe lobbyists and others will try to change some of the text and pass a "senate" version, if it gets out of the committees (by vote - or no vote, etc...). Then a reckoning of the two passed bills will be needed, then another round of passage by both chambers of the rectified bill will be needed to get the exact same language onto the president's desk. Could be Obama's last veto, but I feel this is not likely to get passed until early next year. IF AT ALL.

A lot depends on continued media attention to opioid ODs and the Bedford-Stuyvesant / Bushwickorder area in Brooklyn (synth cannabinoid OD alley). Plus social media accounts of kids getting harmed or dying from bad mixtures, misinformation, mislabeled substances, cuts, etc... you all know what I mean here. All those types of coverage help drive these bills past lobbyists best attempts to kill them.

The media attention, as usual, I think is unbalanced and unfair to users, but in general is warranted. With the epidemics in progress to not cover it in the news would be simply wrong. That stated, the coverage could be more balanced, truthful and suggest better treatment and demand reduction techniques. MAT/ORT and other medical interventions get shorted by the AA / 12-step recovery mega industrial complex. Methadone doesn't have nearly the allies on K street like those in the abstinent treatment industry, bupe more so. I feel both modalities should be equally available, abusers wanting help need better info on the options w/o local and national health personnel continuing to push one over the other.

I do not believe that the pill mills and Purdue Pharma are as responsible for the opioid epidemic as the press makes it out to have been, but I became a IV coke user first, then started with IV heroin for "comedowns", then speedballs and when my veins got shot to hell I went straight dope. So I never was big on pharma opioids. I'm not alone, but probably more in the minority than I believe myself to be.

There appears to be no threat to RC benzos (or any CV - CIII analogs) in the house bill, those were stripped out b/f House passage, in my understanding and others analyses.

My asshole puckered up so loud my cat jumped out the window when I first read someone's misinterpretation - "No more RC Benzos!" - it was in an initial draft. My guess - big pharma fought to keep this law focused on substances that they likely will not try to further develop. Things like ambien and lunesta could maybe have been affected by the benzo prohibition proposed initially and so it got struck. Just my conjecture. Or maybe benzos are believed to be benign enough on the "hill" to not warrant inclusion, but the treatment industry knows otherwise and cynically is trying to ensure a new stream of people needing serious treatment.

All conjecture / my interpretations except the link I provided.

EDIT: FWIW, I strongly believe and have since I was underage that all drugs should be legal. Then we'd have a lot of Shulgin's (sp?) stuff and the traditional drugs that we had in 1900. Those were safer, more tested and better candidates for those who wish to partake. Look at the shit we have now... When for many it is easier to get fent analogs than real dope we have a problem. This does nothing to help! Cat's out of the bag. Fent analogs are not going to go away any more than heroin. It does bother me that kids can get this stuff easily on the 'Net, another reason to legalize. Cannabis legal states have seen a drop in teenage usage of marijuana (at least CO has...)

Last edited:
It's actually on Halloween, October 31st.

I'm getting the 2c-E and 2c-b-fly I can right now. I don't know about 2c-c or 2c-D, people never really raved about them, but I'm sad I can't find 2c-t-2 anywhere. But yeah, fucking nbomes caused this, or rather, people selling nbomes as LSD. I don't know if the law touches bk-2cb, but I can't source this one at all when I used to see it everywhere. I took for granted that 2c-x's would be available forever, they've been there since the very beginning and unlike nbomes, barely ever directly killed some, 2c-t-7 did, because its a VERY strong psychedelic and also a MAOI...and snorting it quadruples its potency. And then there is DOx...DOM and DOB already being banned, again, I don't care for DOB, which is the most common "fake acid" or "bad acid", or at least was for a long time in the 90's and up to the mid 00's up here, cops were warning about this fake acid causing 30 hour trips that were not very pleasant at all, they turned out to be right when sold one hit of what I expected to be LSD, but was definitely DOB, 27 hours of hell. But I'm against the banning of the others, DOC and DOI, just on principle, criminal organizations do not peddle them. They do peddle 2c-B though, which was banned in 1994 and is still readily available in most of Canada.

Canada - New fentanyl precursor regulations

Regulations Amending the Precursor Control Regulations (Fentanyl Precursors)

P.C. 2016-982 November 18, 2016

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to subsection 55(1) (see footnote a) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (see footnote b), makes the annexed Regulations Amending the Precursor Control Regulations (Fentanyl Precursors).

Amendment

1 The schedule to the Precursor Control Regulations (see footnote 1) is amended by adding the following after item 25:

Item / Precursor set out in Part 1 of Schedule VI to the Act / Maximum Quantity (expressed as an absolute amount or per package)

26 / Propionyl chloride / 0

27 / 1-Phenethyl-4-piperidone and its salts / 0

28 / 4-Piperidone and its salts / 0

29 / Norfentanyl (N-phenyl-N-piperidin-4-ylpropanamide) and its salts / 0

30 / 1-Phenethylpiperidin-4-ylidenephenylamine and its salts / 0

31 / N-Phenyl-4-piperidinamine and its salts / 0

Coming into Force

2 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.

REGULATORY IMPACT ANALYSIS STATEMENT
(This statement is not part of the Regulations or the Order.)

Issues

Canada is experiencing an increasing number of opioid overdoses and deaths across the country. Fentanyl is being implicated in a growing number of these deaths. According to the Canadian Community Epidemiology Network on Drug Use, between 2009 and 2014 there were at least 655 deaths in Canada where the opioid fentanyl was determined to be the cause or a contributing cause. (see footnote 2) In April 2016, British Columbia declared a public health emergency because of over 200 overdose deaths in the first three months of the year, one third of which were associated with fentanyl. Furthermore, for the period from January through July 2016, there were 264 illicit drug overdose deaths with fentanyl detected in British Columbia. (see footnote 3) In addition, deaths involving fentanyl in a number of other provinces have also increased markedly. For example, in Alberta there were 274 fentanyl-related overdose deaths in 2015 compared to 120 in 2014, (see footnote 4) and in Ontario, there were 154 fentanyl-implicated deaths in 2014 and 120 in 2013. (see footnote 5)

Law enforcement agencies have noted the presence of illicit fentanyl production in Canada. Yet, many of the chemicals required to produce fentanyl are not controlled in Canada. This means that the ingredients used to make fentanyl can be legally imported into Canada in any amount. This results in Canadian border services officers and law enforcement officials not being able to stop these shipments; they can only take action after the illicit fentanyl is produced.

Background

Fentanyl and its misuse in Canada

Fentanyl, a potent synthetic opioid analgesic, is a controlled substance listed in Schedule I of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) and regulated under the Narcotic Control Regulations. Therapeutic products containing fentanyl are approved in Canada as analgesics for the treatment of severe pain. As an opioid, fentanyl’s euphoric effects and addictive properties make it prone to misuse. Licit fentanyl for pharmaceuticals is produced in other countries and imported into Canada in its finished form.

Due to fentanyl’s potency, it is very toxic and dangerous when misused. Use of fentanyl in the illicit drug market poses significant risks to public health as it is often mixed in an unknown quantity with other drugs, such as oxycodone and heroin, and users are not always aware that they are taking fentanyl. As a result, drug overdoses and deaths in Canada involving fentanyl have increased markedly.

According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), fentanyl is finding its way to Canada’s illicit drug market in three ways: diversion of pharmaceutical fentanyl products, mainly skin patches; smuggling from abroad; and, more recently, from production in clandestine laboratories in Canada using precursor chemicals. For example, between 2011 and 2015, six clandestine labs were identified in Canada where illicit fentanyl production occurred or was intended to occur. The illicit fentanyl is used to prepare products for distribution and sale by being pressed into pills and marketed as fentanyl or another substance (e.g. oxycodone), or mixed into other illicit drugs such as heroin.

Senate public bill S-225

In June 2016, a Senate public bill, S-225, An Act to Amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (substances used in the production of fentanyl), was passed by the Senate with amendments. The bill proposes to address the growing fentanyl crisis by adding the following six precursor chemicals used to produce fentanyl to Schedule VI to the CDSA:

Propionyl chloride;
1-Phenethyl-4-piperidone and its salts;
4-Piperidone and its salts;
Norfentanyl (N-phenyl-N-piperidin-4-ylpropanamide) and its salts;
1-Phenethylpiperidin-4-ylidenephenylamine and its salts; and
N-Phenyl-4-piperidinamine and its salts.

Bill S-225 is currently awaiting introduction in the House of Commons.

Legitimate use and international controls

Of the six chemicals proposed in Bill S-225, four have no known legitimate industrial or commercial uses in Canada. Propionyl chloride is used by pharmaceutical companies and the research community as a solvent in the synthesis of chemicals and 4-piperidone is used for research and development purposes.

Of the six chemicals proposed, only one (1-phenethyl-4-piperidone) is controlled in other countries, specifically the United States and Australia.

Legislative framework for controlled substances and precursors

The CDSA provides for the control of substances that can alter mental processes and that may produce harm to health and the society when diverted or misused, as well as precursors that can be used in the production of controlled substances. Except as authorized by regulations or exempted in accordance with the CDSA, activities (i.e. possession, production, trafficking, importation and exportation) with controlled substances and precursors are prohibited. The CDSA also specifies the offences and penalties associated with the conduct of illegal activities with controlled substances and precursors. Furthermore, the Act authorizes the Governor in Council to make regulations and to amend the schedules to the CDSA by order. Substances listed in Schedules I to V to the CDSA are defined as controlled substances, while substances listed in Schedule VI to the CDSA are defined as precursors.

Developed under the CDSA in 2002, the Precursor Control Regulations (PCR) set out a framework within which activities with precursors are regulated. Under the PCR, a licence is required for any person to produce, package, sell, provide, import, export, and possess for the purpose of exporting Class A precursors, and a registration is required for any person to produce for the purpose of sale, import and export Class B precursors. The PCR also specify requirements for record-keeping, security and reporting that licensed or registered dealers must comply with.

The schedule to the PCR includes specified thresholds in absolute quantities or package size for each Class A precursor. More specifically, the PCR allow retailers who meet the criteria specified in section 5 to sell or provide Class A precursors without a licence. For example, retailers must sell more than just chemicals or chemicals and equipment used in the chemical industry. In addition, they can only sell Class A precursors in amounts not exceeding those set out in the schedule. In addition, particular record-keeping requirements must be met if a licensed dealer, a pharmacist, a practitioner or a person in charge of a hospital sells or provides a Class A precursor above the maximum quantity set out in the schedule. Furthermore, additional documentation must be attached to any shipment of Class A precursors that exceeds the maximum quantity set out in the schedule.

Objective

The objective of this scheduling amendment is to help protect the health and safety of Canadians and to address the growing opioid crisis by adding regulatory controls on six chemicals used in the illicit production of fentanyl while still permitting access to the chemicals for legitimate purposes.

Description

The Order amends Schedule VI to the CDSA by adding the following six chemicals that can be used in the production of fentanyl to the list of Class A precursors:

Propionyl chloride;
1-Phenethyl-4-piperidone and its salts;
4-Piperidone and its salts;
Norfentanyl (N-phenyl-N-piperidin-4-ylpropanamide) and its salts;
1-Phenethylpiperidin-4-ylidenephenylamine and its salts; and
N-Phenyl-4-piperidinamine and its salts.

The regulatory amendment adds these chemicals to Column 1 of the schedule to the PCR and sets out in column 2 a maximum quantity of “0” for these chemicals. This means that an end-use declaration must be obtained by the licensed dealer for all transactions of any of these precursor chemicals to a person who is not a licensed dealer and that shipments of any of these precursor chemicals must be accompanied by additional documentation as required by the PCR.

With these amendments, any person who is not authorized to import, export or possess for the purpose of exporting these precursor chemicals will be subject to the offences and penalties set out in section 6 of the CDSA. Any person who produces, sells, provides, imports, exports, and possesses for the purpose of export these precursor chemicals will have to be in compliance with the PCR.

“One-for-One” Rule

These amendments will result in administrative burden costs to eight Canadian businesses should they wish to continue selling, importing and/or exporting any of these precursor chemicals. Six of these companies are already licensed under the PCR and would need to apply for an amendment to their existing licence (one hour to complete); two of these companies are unlicensed and would need to apply for a licence (approximately three hours to complete). All eight businesses may also incur additional administrative costs associated with submitting permit applications (30 minutes per application) if they decide to import or export these chemicals. For the purposes of this analysis, it is assumed that businesses may require up to as many as 10 permits per year. The administrative costs for all of these activities are calculated using an average cost of $41.60 per hour, based on the assumption that an employee in the natural and applied sciences field would be completing these forms.

In accordance with the Red Tape Reduction Regulations, the administrative burden to businesses, assuming they will have activities with these chemicals, was calculated over 10 years and discounted using a rate of 7%. The present value (2012) of the total annualized incremental administrative costs to these businesses is estimated to be $3,675 or approximately $460 per business.

Since these amendments will result in administrative burden, the “One-for-One” Rule applies and it is considered an “IN” under the Rule. The estimated cost will be offset by an equivalent reduction in the administrative credits available within the health portfolio.

Small business lens

Eight Canadian companies have been identified as selling, importing and/or exporting one or more of these precursor chemicals, none of which is a small business. Therefore, the small business lens does not apply to these amendments.

Consultation

On September 3, 2016, Health Canada published a notice to interested parties in the Canada Gazette, Part I, to notify stakeholders and the general public about this regulatory amendment. The consultation closed on October 2, 2016. Three comments were received in response to the notice, all of which were from pharmaceutical companies with operations in Canada. The first had questions regarding end-user requirements under the PCR. The second had questions about the legitimate and illegitimate uses of the proposed chemicals and whether they were controlled in other countries. The third comment included a statement that these amendments would impact them and other pharmaceutical companies should they need to access these chemicals for manufacturing and/or for research and development purposes. No comments of opposition were received.

A World Trade Organization Technical Barriers to Trade notification was also posted in September 2016. The consultation closed on October 8, 2016. No comments were received as a result of this notification.

Rationale

Fentanyl is very toxic and dangerous when misused. Exposure to fentanyl both from voluntary misuse of fentanyl products or from involuntary misuse of products laced with the substance has led to increasing numbers of drug overdoses and deaths being reported nationwide with an unprecedented number of cases in British Columbia in 2016. Placing controls on the production, sale, provision, import, export and possession for the purpose of exporting of fentanyl precursor chemicals will help to curb the illicit manufacture of fentanyl in Canada. This action is intended to result in a reduction in the availability of illicit fentanyl products.

Scheduling these six precursor chemicals to the schedule to the PCR means that they are controlled like other Class A precursors under the CDSA and provides law enforcement agencies with the authority to take action against activities with these chemicals that are not in accordance with the CDSA.

These amendments achieve the objectives of Senate Public Bill S-225 in an expeditious fashion. They also complement Health Canada’s Action Plan on Opioid Misuse, announced by the Minister of Health in June 2016, by enhancing law enforcement’s ability to address the supply side of illicit opioids.

Costs

These regulatory amendments will result in cost to businesses. Companies supplying, importing or exporting any of these six precursor chemicals will incur costs to comply with this amendment. Eight businesses were identified as dealing with at least one of the six scheduled precursor chemicals. Six of these businesses are already licensed dealers under the PCR and will incur costs to have their licences amended should they want to continue to conduct business with the scheduled precursor chemicals. The two unlicensed companies would have to apply to become licensed dealers and renew their licences and incur associated costs to continue to conduct activities with any of these precursor chemicals. There will also be additional on-going administrative costs to all businesses to prepare and submit import and/or export permit applications if they intend to import and/or export any of these chemicals, as well as costs associated with record-keeping activities. The present value of the total cost to businesses over a 10-year period, using a 7% discount rate, is estimated to be $58,760, or an annualized cost of $8,365.

Researchers in Canada will incur a negligible administrative cost, as they will need to complete an end-use declaration in order to purchase any of these chemicals from a licensed dealer. Should a researcher wish to import any of these precursor chemicals for research purposes, they can request that Health Canada import the precursor chemicals on their behalf. Again, the researcher would incur a negligible administrative cost, as they would need to complete a form. Being negligible, these costs are not accounted for in the estimates.

No cost is expected for the Government. Given that Health Canada already has a licensing system in place for precursor chemicals, the provision of licences, authorizations, and permits would be conducted as part of normal activity and no additional resources would be required. Costs associated with compliance and enforcement activities would also be absorbed by existing programs.

Benefits

These regulatory amendments are expected to result in benefits to Canadians. The misuse of fentanyl has led to an increasing number of drug overdoses and deaths. Controlling activities with the precursor chemicals used to produce fentanyl will help mitigate the risk of their availability and subsequent use in the illicit production of fentanyl, thereby protecting the health and safety of Canadians.

Implementation, enforcement and service standards

Due to the urgent nature of the growing opioid crisis in Canada, these regulatory amendments come into force on the day of publication in the Canada Gazette, Part II. As part of the implementation of these amendments, Health Canada will notify stakeholders of the changes and provide additional information on the Department’s website.

Health Canada is responsible for authorizing activities (through licences, permits, and exemptions) with substances scheduled under the CDSA and its regulations and for monitoring compliance with regulatory requirements. Law enforcement agencies and the Canada Border Services Agency are responsible for taking enforcement action in response to contraventions of the CDSA. Under the CDSA, a range of penalties applies to the offences associated with the precursor chemicals covered by these regulatory amendments. The maximum penalty for indictable offences with respect to substances in Schedule VI to the CDSA is imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years.

There are no additional service standards other than those that already exist for issuing licences and permits under the CDSA.

Contact

Anna Wheeler
Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch
Health Canada
Main Statistics Canada Building
150 Tunney’s Pasture Driveway
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0T6
Email: OCS_regulatorypolicy-BSC_ [email protected]

Footnote a
S.C. 2015, c. 22, s. 4(1)

Footnote b
S.C. 1996, c. 19

Footnote 1
SOR/2002-359

Footnote 2
Canadian Community Epidemiology Network on Drug Use (CCENDU) Bulletin: Deaths Involving Fentanyl in Canada, 2009-2014. August 2015. (http://www.ccsa.ca/Resource Library/CCSA-CCENDU-Fentanyl-Deaths-Canada-Bulletin-2015-en.pdf)

Footnote 3
British Columbia Coroners Service. Fentanyl-Detected Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths January 1, 2012 to July 31, 2016. August 13, 2016. (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/pu...on/statistical/fentanyl-detected-overdose.pdf)

Footnote 4
Alberta Health. Fentanyl and the take-home naloxone program. (http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-info/AMH-Naloxone-Take-home.html)

Footnote 5
Office of the Chief Coroner of Ontario. Report for the Years 2012 – 2015. (http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engl...r/Publicationsreports/OCCAnualReport2014.html)

Order Amending Schedule VI to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Fentanyl Precursors)

P.C. 2016-983 November 18, 2016

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to section 60 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (see footnote a), deeming that it is necessary in the public interest, makes the annexed Order Amending Schedule VI to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Fentanyl Precursors).

Order Amending Schedule VI to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Fentanyl Precursors)

Amendment

1 Part 1 of Schedule VI to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (see footnote 1) is amended by adding the following after item 24:

25 Propionyl chloride
26 1-Phenethyl-4-piperidone and its salts
27 4-Piperidone and its salts
28 Norfentanyl (N-phenyl-N-piperidin-4-ylpropanamide) and its salts
29 1-Phenethylpiperidin-4-ylidenephenylamine and its salts
30 N-Phenyl-4-piperidinamine and its salts

Coming into Force

2 This Order comes into force on the day on which it is published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.

N.B. The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement for this Order appears following SOR/2016-294, Regulations Amending the Precursor Control Regulations (Fentanyl Precursors).

Footnote a
S.C. 1996, c. 19

Footnote 1
S.C. 1996, c. 19

Original source:

Canada - Methylphenidate analogues banned

Order Amending Schedule III to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Methylphenidate)

P.C. 2017-255 March 24, 2017

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to section 60 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (see footnote a), deeming that it is necessary in the public interest, makes the annexed Order Amending Schedule III to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Methylphenidate).

Order Amending Schedule III to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Methylphenidate)

Amendment

1 Item 2 of Schedule III to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (see footnote 1) is replaced by the following:

2 Methylphenidate (methyl 2-phenyl-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate), its salts, derivatives, isomers and analogues and salts of derivatives, isomers and analogues, including
(1) Ethylphenidate (ethyl 2-phenyl-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)
(2) Isopropylphenidate (isopropyl 2-phenyl-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)
(3) Propylphenidate (propyl 2-phenyl-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)
(4) 3,4-Dichloromethylphenidate (methyl 2-(3,4-dichlorophenyl)-2-(piperidin2-yl)acetate)
(5) 4-Methylmethylphenidate (methyl 2-(4-methylphenyl)-2-(piperidin2-yl)acetate)
(6) 4-Fluoromethylphenidate (methyl 2-(4-fluorophenyl)-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)
(7) Methylnaphthidate (methyl 2-(naphthalen-2-yl)-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)
(8 ) Ethylnaphthidate (ethyl 2-(naphthalen-2-yl)-2-(piperidin-2-yl)acetate)

Coming into Force

2 This Order comes into force on the 30th day after the day on which it is published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.

N.B. The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement for this Order appears following SOR/2017-43, Regulations Amending the Food and Drug Regulations (Part G — Methylphenidate).

Footnote a
S.C. 1996, c. 19

Footnote 1
S.C. 1996, c. 19

Originally published here. Follow the link in the quote above for Health Canada's rationale and other details.

Canada - Menthol cigarettes banned

Order Amending the Schedule to the Tobacco Act (Menthol)

P.C. 2017-256 March 24, 2017

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to subsection 7.1(1) (see footnote a) of the Tobacco Act (see footnote b), makes the annexed Order Amending the Schedule to the Tobacco Act (Menthol).

Order Amending the Schedule to the Tobacco Act (Menthol)

Amendment

1 The portion of item 1 of the schedule to the Tobacco Act (see footnote 1) in column 1 is replaced by the following:

Additives that have flavouring properties or that enhance flavour, including

— additives identified as flavouring agents by the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives in the Committee’s evaluations, as published from time to time in the WHO Technical Report Series

— additives identified as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) flavouring substances by the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) Expert Panel in its lists of GRAS substances referred to as "GRAS 3" to "GRAS 24" and subsequent lists of GRAS substances, as published from time to time, if any

The following additives are excluded:

— benzoic acid (CAS 65-85-0) and its salts

— butylated hydroxytoluene (CAS 128-37-0)

— carboxymethyl cellulose (CAS 9000-11-7)

— citric acid (CAS 77-92-9) and its salts

— ethanol (CAS 64-17-5)

— polyoxyethylene sorbitan monolaurate (CAS 9005-64-5)

— fumaric acid (CAS 110-17-8 )

— glycerol (CAS 56-81-5)

— guar gum (CAS 9000-30-0)

— n-propyl acetate (CAS 109-60-4)

— paraffin wax (CAS 8002-74-2)

— propylene glycol (CAS 57-55-6)

— glycerol esters of wood rosin (CAS 8050-31-5)

— sodium acetate anhydrous (CAS 127-09-3)

— sodium alginate (CAS 9005-38-3)

— sorbic acid (CAS 110-44-1) and its salts

— triacetin (CAS 102-76-1)

— tributyl acetylcitrate (CAS 77-90-7)

Coming into Force

2 This Order comes into force on the 180th day after the day on which it is published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.

Footnote a
S.C. 2009, c. 27, s. 9

Footnote b
S.C. 1997, c. 13

Footnote 1
S.C. 1997, c. 13

Read the full details here.

In brief, they are banning menthol flavouring in cigarettes, small cigars, and blunt wraps.

lol this is just going to force people to order their menthol cigs off the internet.. this is so stupid