Using pseudoephedrine as mild-stimulant for night shifts

Ne0

Bluelighter
So I'm doing night-shifts every now and then and then chancing to after noon and morning shifts, so I constantly need to change my sleep routines and I need some kind of stimulant to keep me awake and energized on nights. I don't want to take any kind on amphetamines, even in low doses, because it keeps my awake too long (12 h after ingestion), and its easy to take little more just to be sure then I'm all euphoric and can't really get shit done, also there is addiction potential, its expensive and further more it would be shown in drug test screening (I can't get legally amphetamines), and I don't want to use them any way I don't like them just too strong. Methylphenidate/ethyphenidate and other analogs, and any rc-stimulant is also out of question. I need something legal and that is not too strong, I can't get ephedrine prescription, which I know they give to people who suffer Chronic fatigue syndrome, which I think I might even have. I can't get any noon tropic stimulants, like modafinil which I've heard is great for night shifts, because it's illegal to import and buy here and no doctor would give you that even that the law allows it. And you don't have to mention caffeine, it doesn't help much with energy and if used too much gives you bad headache and stomach problems, its just not strong enough and generally just feels jittery, anxious and cranky. Only legal stimulant I can get is pseudo-ephedrine. It has always worked for me as mild stimulant that gives energy and even makes my mood little better and even makes me more sociable especially when combined with lot of coffee, so why not to use it, it keeps my awake only 6 hours so sleeping isn't a problem, I don't get anxious or any other nasty stimulant side-effects? I mean I do only 5 shifts a month, so would it be too hard for my body if I take around 400-600 mg pseudo-ephedrine with strong energy drink a night (the dose that works for me) 5 days a month. I really can't do night shifts with just caffeine, so I need something stronger and legal to use. I know the recommended most high dose for pseudo-ephedrine is around 240 mg/day, but well I'm not going to take it every day.

Any thoughts or tips? I can't think out any other legal stimulants that are stronger than caffeine, Kath would be ok I think but it's illegal here and I can't get it anywhere.

Last edited:
It does work as a mild stimulant in my opinion, but I'd think that 400-600mg of pseudoephedrine would give unpleasant side-effects. Shame you can't get modafinil, it is basically custom designed for such purposes. Might be worth at least asking a doctor about, better than taking way too much pseudoephedrine.

It does work as a mild stimulant in my opinion, but I'd think that 400-600mg of pseudoephedrine would give unpleasant side-effects. Shame you can't get modafinil, it is basically custom designed for such purposes. Might be worth at least asking a doctor about, better than taking way too much pseudoephedrine.

Yeah I know, but I dont get much side-effects, only higher pulse. I just got energy for exercise and it wasnt a problem. Its good for sport too. I think I have add and pseudoephedrine seems to help with that. I get more shit done. Im really sure doctors here wont give you modafinil, they will think its drug seeking(even that it dont get any kind of high). Its too bad that there is very limited otc stimulants. But im fine with pseudo-ephedrine, just worried about the dosage. I hope my tolreance will not rise.

Actually I feel little bit tweaked, because of the dose, I did 420mg about 2 hours ago, it takes around 1-2h to come up, but caffeine will make it even stronger and it makes you want to smoke. maybe should try 250-300mg for the work, actually I feel little bit euphoria even, music sounds very good and Im little bit horny, for sure this is too high dose for work, so 300mg should be more then enough, Just need to keep focused, having energy and dont fall asleep during night shifts.

But yeah, pseudo-ephedrine definitely works as mild-stimulant, yesterdays I took 600mg and spoke with people about 5 hours straight and felt like done small amount of amphetamine. I've done over 15 different CNS stimulants, so I notice very easily if something gives me real stimulation. I've heard that for many people it doesnt give any effect, so they say that other people must feel placebo, but I know this isnt placebo, it feels like ephedrine but little weaker and "dirtier", but its perfect for work. I think people whome pseudoephedrine dont work they might not have some entzyme or something that makes it psychoactive, same like with codeine. But thats good, less people know about this the better they will keep it otc.

here is some medical information:
suggesting that the action of pseudoephedrine is mediated via dopamine release
and results in the activation of D1 dopamine receptors. With the exception of the higher doses required, the actions of
pseudoephedrine were similar to those previously described for the psychostimulant amphetamine.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...60e0c14f25b000000.pdf?origin=publication_list

its just about the dosage.

I'd say if caffeine is 1 in stimulant effects and amphetamine 15, then pseudo-ephedrine is around 6 (at 400+ mg). Its not for everyone but I do enjoy it.

Last edited:
It is a stimulant, and has been used by athletes and people on night shifts. It's cardiovascular properties aren't healthy at all though. Modafinil would be better if you could get hold of some.

I have had great success in the past, combining medium-large doses caffeine (coffee, just Folgers brand nothing fancy even as a pre-workout supplement i found this works best), small amounts nicotine (whether through cigs or preferably a vape), and smallish amounts of modafinil (it mostly prolongs and boosts the wakefulness aspect of the caffeine). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armodafinil This one is really good. But the thing is, most of what you can get online is going to be racemic or a different one entirely sold as modafinil. So try to get it thru your doctor just dont look all tweaked out on pseudo/underslept and be sure to tell him you have night shift, use it for work, etc. Shouldnt be too difficult. The racemic modafinil "Provigil" is now generic so that may be the more cost effective option. Both Provigil/Nuvigil basically very similar just I have had bad experiences ordering provigil tablets online.

edit: a small dose would be 50-100mg, or perhaps 100-200mg. When taking a new supplement in such a manner, its paramount to figure out what works for your body, so I would start at 50mg and then you would at least know how a 50mg dose with no tolerance affects you, and can titrate as needed. Modafinil is pretty benign

Last edited:
I have had great success in the past, combining medium-large doses caffeine (coffee, just Folgers brand nothing fancy even as a pre-workout supplement i found this works best), small amounts nicotine (whether through cigs or preferably a vape), and smallish amounts of modafinil (it mostly prolongs and boosts the wakefulness aspect of the caffeine). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armodafinil This one is really good. But the thing is, most of what you can get online is going to be racemic or a different one entirely sold as modafinil. So try to get it thru your doctor just dont look all tweaked out on pseudo/underslept and be sure to tell him you have night shift, use it for work, etc. Shouldnt be too difficult. The racemic modafinil "Provigil" is now generic so that may be the more cost effective option. Both Provigil/Nuvigil basically very similar just I have had bad experiences ordering provigil tablets online.

edit: a small dose would be 50-100mg, or perhaps 100-200mg. When taking a new supplement in such a manner, its paramount to figure out what works for your body, so I would start at 50mg and then you would at least know how a 50mg dose with no tolerance affects you, and can titrate as needed. Modafinil is pretty benign

I live in Norther Europe, its still very hard to get any kind of noon tropics, like modafinil. They think that you can abuse them, so they don't give it to you. Even pseudoephdrine here is not OTC, I still need to go doctor and he will give it to you for congested nose, I'm afraid to say that I actually use it for night shifts, because they might think I'm drug abuser then, tho in pharmacy she told me that dont take before bedtime because it keeps you awake, I said no problem I do night shifts and she seemed to understand and said oh you use it for that, like she knows its good for that, so maybe doctors will give it you for night shifts if you ask. Tho I have nasal congestion too, so it's good anyway.

It seems best dose for usual boosted energy, motivation and awak-state is around 180mg, too bad we dont have extended release here, only ir.

I seems to have some kind of oversensitivity to pseudo and normal ephedrine because I cant get quite tweaked out on them. For me pseudo and norma ephedrine are pretty much same, real ephedrine just need lower dosage.

Thanks for tips anyway, going to exercise now thanks to pseudo ->