• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can over doing exercise cause panic attacks?

noone1

Bluelighter
I decided to exercise today after a couple of weeks off due to being sick. Did some light weight training, some push ups, sit ups maybe all in all a 90 reps all together from different exercises through out the day separated by hours, nothing heavier than 50 pounds. Also I have been limiting my caloric intake for the last couple of days because I feel like I'm getting fat from too much beer.

I was also running around and on my feet all day because of work and I walk everywhere. As the day ends I had some opiates felt really good for a few hours then have some more opiates and two cocktails. My face all of a sudden starts feeling really flushed and hot and I start panicking, I suddenly went from euphoric to dysphoric arm feels numb. I didn't take anything to stop it I just rode it out and it lasted about an hour of thinking I'm having a medical problem.

Can this feeling come from over training and not eating enough? I wasn't doing or thinking anything stressful nor have I had any caffeine or DXM to trigger it.

I have never gotten full blown panic attacks from working out but yes overexertion tends to leave me anxious as opposed to the natural weight lifting high.

My theory about this is that over-exercising depletes the body in such a way that it can't perform its basic functions optimally, which triggers a low level feeling that survival is threatened. Then the fear comes in.

Also it's just a fact that bodies need extra resource to recover from exercise and if there's a deficit then it's going to affect everything, including your mind. I find that the day after intense exercise I sometimes have brain fog, if I went too hard. My cognitive function isn't the same. A day later I'm normal. A day after that I feel even better than normal because of the gains that finally kick in. The turnaround time depends on the person.

Exercise encourages muscle building, and muscle building increases the body's need for protein, so unless you increase your intake of protein accordingly, you are at increased risk of protein deficiency.
The brain also needs protein (amino acids) for neurotransmitters for it's day to day running, and this is why brain fog and similar are listed as symptoms.
And, while it's rarely listed, I can speak from personal experience that protein deficiency can cause seriously stupid levels of anxiety.

Also from personal experience, it does have some effect on sleep, but it's more subtle, and as so many other things also affect sleep, it's hard (impossible) to untangle what causes what precisely.

Pretty sure it's not the exercise. If anything exercise releases stress. Rather it's either the opiates/alcohol or maybe ask yourself if something is bothering you subconsciously.