• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

April Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread vs. Spring is in the Air

Yo guys what do we think about letting loved ones know when we lapse (NOT relapse fully - have slip ups.) I've had one or two but have kept it on the low because I don't want to create unnecessary anxiety for those around me. It's almost like I had to lapse to remind myself why I quit in the first place. I seemed to slip into some older way of thinking and found myself justifying using only to get "high" and say to myself "wow this sucks, I'm happy I don't do this shit anymore." Thoughts?
Great question! I personally wouldn't mention it to my really close loved ones who don't have chemical dependency issues (might do more harm than good/ cause further emotional pain/ lead to another slip) but getting honest with a close friend who will keep it private is a good idea. The worst thing in my opinion is to not tell anyone and struggle alone. I had a slip about a week ago for a day, and I haven't told my wife, but I did tell a close friend and I'm glad I did because hiding my use is the 'old' me. Someday in the future I will tell my wife but not until the dust settles and I have some perspective on the matter. Best of luck to you!

That makes two of us CH ;) The farmer's market is sooooooooo good. You'd have some serious fun for sure :)

Great question! I personally wouldn't mention it to my really close loved ones who don't have chemical dependency issues (might do more harm than good/ cause further emotional pain/ lead to another slip) but getting honest with a close friend who will keep it private is a good idea. The worst thing in my opinion is to not tell anyone and struggle alone. I had a slip about a week ago for a day, and I haven't told my wife, but I did tell a close friend and I'm glad I did because hiding my use is the 'old' me. Someday in the future I will tell my wife but not until the dust settles and I have some perspective on the matter. Best of luck to you!

I second this advice.

Well relapsed on pot and had two lines of coke. Grateful that's all it was, need to check in with you guys, honesty has saved my life before and it will again God willing. Good day to walk my dog, spring is in the air! I'll check in let you guys know how I'm doing

21 days today, fuck yes. Hope everyone is doing well, and to those struggling sending positive vibes out to you.

Quit the cigs 9 days ago cold turkey after starting back a yr ago..... Not the same as kicking a hard drug, but its definitely a habit that needs to go through 'the breaking' part....learned behavior.

21 days today, fuck yes. Hope everyone is doing well, and to those struggling sending positive vibes out to you.
Quit the cigs 9 days ago cold turkey after starting back a yr ago..... Not the same as kicking a hard drug, but its definitely a habit that needs to go through 'the breaking' part....learned behavior.
Harm reduction is about positive growth, and to each person that growth in leading your harm reduction is painful. Addiction doesn't discriminate, and a chemical is just a chemical. Positive vibrations your way to quit smoking

I'm a little over a week out from the most horrifying relapse I've ever had and man, it is truly incredible how they can come out of nowhere. in terms of desiring sobriety, I think it was probably the best thing I've done in two years. In every other way, just a real shitshow. So many people have told me their relapses spurred incredible personal growth, well I definitely see it now.

I'm a little over a week out from the most horrifying relapse I've ever had and man, it is truly incredible how they can come out of nowhere. in terms of desiring sobriety, I think it was probably the best thing I've done in two years. In every other way, just a real shitshow. So many people have told me their relapses spurred incredible personal growth, well I definitely see it now.
That's the essence of practicing self harm reduction. Keep moving in that less harm direction

I got high this morning. Had a feeling that was coming though

221 days or 7 months and 28 days

They say you can feel a relapse coming, and I think that is what happened to me

Due to a particular set of circumstances, I was able to drive a car around for this week

First thing I did was drive to Kensington. Saw this article in the paper (https://www.google.com/amp/philadel...racks-to-highlight-nations-drug-epidemic/amp/. It's crazy because I used to go there. Closest thing to a safe injection thing you will find in Philly though.

The train company (Conrail) is supposed to keep it's property in good condition but it's currently being used as an unofficial hazardous waste site right now. Conrail is getting bitched at by the city like it's their fault a bunch of junkies congregate to use drugs there

the amount of trash is quite ridiculous though, even for Philly's standards

So yeah, I'm back to zero with the clean time. Can't even say I have today yet. Could be worse I guess

What is it like to "lose" all that "clean time" you accrued? I mean in terms of the feels? IME it was like, "Oh, fuck me. Did I really just do that" kinda thing.