• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcohol withdrawal? Help needed.

Thehor

Greenlighter
I recently stoped drinking after 2 good weeks of drinking 10 beers a day. I had done worst in the past where I would binge 1 full month of drinking and this has happened 3 times now but this time the withdraw was so shiitty I couldnt sleep do to waves of depression and cold sweats and a feel of dying type of feeling. its been 10 days since I stopped drinking and I feel much better now almost 100% but this sunday is a special day and I wanted to drinkink some beers. Is it possible I would withdraw from just that one day of drinking after that?

Hi and welcome to Bluelight! If you're a binge drinker, I wouldn't suggest drinking this weekend. You may experience withdrawals but everyone is different. You've been sober for ten days, why take that chance? I would be afraid that it would send me on another extended binge. I'm going to move this to Sober Living.

Hello and thank you for answering. Yes Ive been a binge drinker on and off, the longest binge I did was 3 months straight and the withdrawal wasnt as bad as this third time I quit drinking after a 2 week binge. Today is day 11, I dont have any bad symtoms anymore besides depression and slepness nights.

Hello, It sounds like you have been going through the cycle for a long time now and have found that it doesn't get better no matter how long the binge. There is a syndrome that seems to go with alcohol when it is used for a long time and goes against what most people would consider the norm. Without going into medical reasons it is common that eventually the binge hangovers will get more severe and the symptoms change over time. It has to do with how the body processes both the alcohol and it's metabolites. If you are depressed and can't sleep it might be more than just an hangover. I am not here to tell anyone what to do with there life all I know is when the symptoms you have along with others came over me I had to take a good look into what was happening. Good Luck

If you ever are interested in looking into your options in terms of support maintaining sobriety from alcohol, you might want to look into baclofen. It can be quite effective at controlling cravings for alcohol (and as a gabaergic substance makes one feel pretty good, although for individuals like us this means something more like "normal" than anything like "fucked up").

I don't mean to push you into any direction. As the above poster pointed out, tolerance and dependency, especially with gabaergic substance, can be very tricky (and dangerous). I wouldn't imagine you'd go into withdrawal from having one or two drinks ten days sober, but what is the real likelihood of your just having a couple drinks and this not turning into another binge? And as you are probably aware, the withdrawal will only become more and more severe the more you go back to a state of dependency, even if they're only short periods of binging.

And if you are going to continue to drink, do keep in mind what KrinkleKutt2 posted. It is really important info to understand as someone who has struggled with their alcohol consumption and has legitimate concerns for their health vis a vis their alcohol use. Along the lines of thinking about your health, are their any other perhaps less harmful substance like cannabis you might be able to replace the alcohol with?

Whatever you choose, wishing you the best of luck OP! Let us know how it goes/went and what you are thinking.