• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health New to anxiety meds

Dxplora07

Greenlighter
So recently I was diagnosed with post partum depression and prescribed 20 mg citalopram and .5 mg klonopin to take 1 pill twice daily. The depression gives me severe anxiety to where all day long my chest is tight and I can't catch my breath. Day one I took the klonopin and felt nothing so I took a second and it was like finally o could breathe and I was in a great happy mood. But that was it. It's been 5 days I've tried taking more in a dose but nothing these are supposed to get me through until the citalopram works but I'm not sure if the feeling I had was just a high or what but it's what I would like. To breathe and feel happy l. Should I ask to increase dosage, change meds or just stick with it?

Welcome to Bluelight.

As you can see I have moved your post over to our Mental Health section where I feel it is more suited. TBH I was considering other drugs but due to the cause of the trouble you may get some better answers and/or advice in here.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

My advice to you is be very very careful with anxiety meds. I was on them for years and got addicted, they are some unforgiving things when you dont take them the way you are suppose to, believe me I should know. I was arrested 3 times in less than a year and everytime i was arrested i was on either klonopins or xanax. They messed up my life and are still messing up my life. I took them because I started having anxiety after being raped and they did help but then I took more and noticed I felt good, then alittle more and blacked out. Its like you are asleep but your not and you dont know it. Its crazy for sure.

Sorry for babbling lol. Just thought i would let you know since your new to them. Not saying you would take them like I did but I started off innocently enough. :)

Thanks for the tip..my doc has me on what I think to be a low dosage, .5 twice a day? I spoke with her earlier and she said I could up to to two .5's twice a day. I definitely don't want to be blacking out or getting addicted. I guess what I'm asking it what am I SUPPOSED to be feeling so I know I'm not abusing? In my mind I thought taking these would make me feel very relaxed but so far it's just like instead of not being able to breathe all the time I still feel like I'm short of breath but I can catch it. I have two very sweet babies that I want to care for but they get me so spun up I thought the klonopins were supposed to relax me so maybe I wouldn't get so revved up. So far all I've notice is that I can catch my breath. Is that right?

Thanks for directing me to the right spot. I wasn't sure where to go with this question lol

i was on mirtazapine 45mg for 2 years then changed to venlafaxine XL (effox) extended release 75MG ,similar to Prozac,they really are a clever tablet they change your mood and give you a lift big time,

Me dr prescribed me celexa to start with and then the klonopin to help with anxiety until the celexa starts working. We tried it a few years ago when I had ppd with my first daughter, but I had to stop taking it after 2 months because I got pregnant again. I've been unknowingly dealing with ppd for the past year and a half, attributing the symptoms to life stressors. We tried the celexa again to pick up where we left off so hopefully that works. In the mean time she increased me to 1 mg twice daily, and I can breathe but I still have meltdowns just not as frequently. I don't know if that's normal and if I just need to wait until the celexa starts working (it's only been 1 week and a half) or if it's something I should bring up to doc. I tend to be impatient with everything and want everything to be fixed right now so I'm just not sure if this is one of those "give it time" things or if it's should be addressed