• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is god right about promiscuous sex?

Blaming it on "satan" just lets you justify your lack of self-control.

Sex is sinful according to Christianity

When you say things so factually inaccurate, its either the result of great ignorance, or dogmatic bias..

There is a context in which sex is sinful, rape, for example, or sex with another mans wife, or sex outside of wedlock, but sex is actually something we cherish, something that God Himself tells us to do, "go forth and multiply".

In the NT we are told not to defraud our marital partner of sex. This directly refutes and puts to bed your claim that sex in Christianity is sinful, its simply not rational to say something like that.

1Co 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
1Co 7:3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1Co 7:4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
1Co 7:5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

As you can see, the correct context for sex is not only biblical, but encouraged.

Meh this is like asking why are the consequences with sex. The consequences are usually a million fold worse than say, hiking. It would make sense to build a society that keeps to the doctrine. Lest we succumb to breeding more violence than we cure. This is why they're truly against abortion, you failed to understand the gravity of the effect, and don't want consequences. A society who has figured out how to rob Peter to pay Paul will be morally bankrupt. In terms of what is godly; theologians look to how life and nature "work" to derive laws. Scientists describe the same thing only without a sense of morality. One isn't better than the other but one is definitely harder to master of the body and in the society. *shrug*

Sex can be many things, it can be lustful. I think it can be what you're talking about too. I find your analysis of human sexual behaviour a bit on the nihilistic side though. Like for me personally, sex is powerful, I can't separate love from sex. I can only sleep with partners who I am in love with, who I want to form committed bonds with. I'm also homosexual, which many Christians believe is an evil sin. (I think they're wrong and that they've misinterpreted some very old stuff.) I have friends who have enormous sex drives and sleep around regularly, and I can concretely say they are happy with their lives. Yes, some people with that lifestyle get fucked up, but a lot of people don't. They do what they do until they no longer do it.

I'm not Christian but I have a healthy respect for the Bible. I think its proscriptions are less dire than some literalists are claiming. Not everyone who pursues lust is going to end up in Hell. And didn't God grant us free will so that, even if we end up in our own self-made Hell, we could learn our way out of it? We all suffer from one thing or another. Most of our suffering is by virtue of being human, but a lot of it is self-created. A lot of people hit that wall in their lives where they have to surrender. Everyone is here to learn what being alive is about, are we not?

When I was younger I was a lot more sexually active than I am now. Tastes and proclivities change. Different priorities take shape. Sex drives are strong and they manifest in many different ways, some healthy some not. It's neither here nor there to typecast the whole thing. Too much of anything can be harmful, maybe that's the main lesson we can take away from all this. I can only speak for myself as a young man that sex can sometimes be a big priority. I feel that more men should take responsibility. At the same time, I feel that a lot of our moralistic institutions have caged men from experiencing their primal fire and learning how to channel it into powerful lives. Despite the hypersexual depictions of manhood in our society, it's a narrow channel and most men are not living up to their full potential. Maybe that's because empowered men may not adhere to the status quo of religious and political rulers.

If all sexuality is good for is procreation then we are all reduced to mere livestock. I'll never procreate -- I don't want children. Too many people on the planet. My sexual energy is for my life and my enlightenment. It doesn't mean I don't care about other humans and I have always worked to better society in the ways I know how... but it doesn't mean that I'm going to save my semen for fertilization. I'll do what I want with the energy of my creative centre, thank you very much!

Last edited:
I have a spiritual belief of my own which is that God is a higher energy of sorts, and it can act as a sort of force of self preservation. The only reason why the Biblical God was against promiscuous sex with relatively unfamiliar people was due to the fact that one could potentially get an STD..... just the higher energy's way of looking out for its own "creation" of sorts. So, yeah, it's right in a sense but not right in the sense that God just "condemns" and judges behaviors that are not intentionally harmful to others. That is what humans do, and it is one of humanity's greatest flaws in my opinion. Pretty much the main thing that has caused my more deeply rooted psychological issues, having a family who thinks strongly in that mindset created a pretty shitty way of growing up for me to be honest.

The whole no sex before "marriage" thing doesn't really add up in my mind to be honest. For much of human history, there was no such thing as marriage because there was no organized governments. Perhaps in the future when our society collapses, there will be no such thing as marriage yet again. Therefore, it was a mere metaphor for setting up a framework of love and trust before sex happens, which really is ideal IMO..... though I've never connected with anyone much, due to the fact that I spent my childhood around shitty people and it is very difficult for me to form emotional connections. I have had plenty of friends but forming strong emotional connections with others is difficult for me because there was never anyone I was really able to trust in my life.

Last edited:
When you say things so factually inaccurate, its either the result of great ignorance, or dogmatic bias...

I'm sure you see the humour in going on to demonstrate my ignorant and dogmatic ways by quoting scripture ;)

I can't tell who is more dogmatic.

I'm sure you see the humour in going on to demonstrate my ignorant and dogmatic ways by quoting scripture ;)

I can't tell who is more dogmatic.

Being biased is one thing, we all are biased in one way or another, but being dogmatic is another thing entirely.. Dogmatic bias can lead one to assume things that simply are not true, case in point, the statement you made, which was factually inaccurate.

. . . just the higher energy's way of looking out for its own "creation" of sorts.

Since you admitted to believing in a higher power of sorts, and that He in fact preserves your life, wouldn't it stand to reason that you would respect his arrangement-no sex before marriage. Period.

In certain cases Yahweh does allow kidnap and rape of virgin women, but only in certain circumstances so be careful interpreting that too loosely. There are strict rules regulating booty of war so best to read up. 8)

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Numbers 31:17-18 )

In certain cases Yahweh does allow kidnap and rape of virgin women, but only in certain circumstances

When the ancient Jews, made a habit of disobeying Yahweh, He would failed to protect them from their enemies and yes, bad things did happen. They should have listened!