⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Life

Shale

Bluelighter
LIFE
Movie Blurb by Shale
March 25, 2017

I really wanted to see this movie after watching the trailers. A sci-fi space story with two of my favorite actors, Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal really excited me. Braved rain clouds & 25 MPH wind gusts to bike to the Cinema today. Then I was disappointed. Seems all the good scenes were in the trailer except for the grown up Alien life form that was killing off the crew of the International Space Station. .

LIFE Poster
hou_art_2017-324_life_header.jpg

If you saw the trailers you know that there is a damaged capsule with samples from Mars coming at the ISS and the very capable crewman, Roy Adams (Ryan Reynolds) catches it with the arm in space and they bring it aboard where Biologist Hugh Derry (Ariyon Bakare) revives a life form from the soil sample. Then we see him playing with it with nothing but a gloved hand (I really hope there are protocols to deal with an entirely unknown, alien life form). Well the trailer also showed the obvious; the LIFE form clamps onto Hugh's hand and when Roy goes in to help him (Again, probably against protocol) he gets trapped with the Life form and the captain, Dr. Miranda North (Rebecca Ferguson) with Dr. David Jordan (Jake Gyllenhaal) lock him in isolation.

The Trailer also showed a mishap with the ISS being destroyed with a decaying orbit that may send it back to earth, killing any remaining crew but probably not the new Life form.

So, if you have seen the Trailer, you've seen all the best parts of the movie. You can save your money and Google Life Film 2017 on Wikipedia, which gives you the complete synopsis (without any Spoiler Warning BTW) so you will know the whole flawed story in detail.

When I saw this movie I was thinking that the aggregate critics at Rotten Tomatoes would tear it apart. Got home and discovered they gave it a 66% Fresh. WTF? (Remember when they gave "Passengers" 29%, a movie that I thot was really good? Is it just me?) Their consensus was: "Life is just thrilling, well-acted, and capably filmed enough to overcome an overall inability to add new wrinkles to the trapped-in-space genre."

Yeah, the actors were good and the filming was beautiful but the story itself was flawed, with all the violations of any sane protocols mentioned and a clichéd ending that I saw coming. It has been 38 years since we were first scared, thrilled and impressed by the movie Alien. I just watched it recently and it is still relevant after all these decades and a much better movie than this one.

Last edited: