• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

HELP!!! No clue what to do now...

nicvic83

Greenlighter
I had surgery on my hip about 2 years ago. Ever since the surgery, I have been dealing with severe pain in my lower back and both of my legs. During this time, I have had numerous tests, epidurals, nerve blocks, physical and massage therapy. Also during this time I have been on prescription pain killers. I was finally able to find a doctor who was willing to prescribe medical marijuana so I could get off of the pills and I couldn't have been happier! Granted, I would really love to be off all medications (I don't even like taking vitamins), but I am unable to tolerate the pain without something in my system. We (the doctors and I) have been trying to fr 2 years to figure out where the pain is coming from Once I started the medical marijuana, I noticed that my appetite was almost nonexistent. I thought this was a little strange considering everyone I have ever known to use marijuana always said it made them hungry. I never experienced any vomiting during this time so I figured, since I was ingesting my doses, it was just a bit too acidic for my stomach and started taking pepcid and tums to help with the burning. After 3 months of being on it, I realized that there was no way I could afford to keep taking it. So, I contacted my doctor who said she understood and proceeded to put me back on morphine. I started vomiting the same day I took my first morphine pill. After a couple days of severe pain in my stomach and constant vomiting, I went to a walk-in clinic who told me the cause of my problems was the morphine and to stop taking it. I let the doctor know that I was on morphine before and never had an issue so I couldn't understand why, all of a sudden, this was starting to happen. The doctor had no explanation to give, prescribed me Zofran, told me to follow-up with my doctor, get off the morphine and sent me on my way. Even on the Zofran, I was still constantly feeling sick to my stomach but the vomiting had stopped. I contacted my pain management doctor who said they would not bring me in for another appointment to change my medication because I wasn't having a reaction to the medicine and told me to contact my PCP. I contacted my PCP who in turn said it was the morphine and to contact my pain management doctor to be placed on something different. A few days later my husband had to take me to the emergency room because I was out of Zofran and couldn't stop vomiting again. The ER doctor agreed with the clinic and PCP doctors, gave me more Zofran and the name of a GI doctor. This doctor is also saying that she believes the cause is from the morphine but I could have an underlying case of Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS). I am not disagreeing that I am having issues because of the morphine but it has been extremely frustrating that each doctor is looking at me like I am a druggie (I would give anything to get off all of this stupid crap).

I was doing research on CHS and it says that the people who experience this have a long history of cannabis use. Is it possible to get CHS from such a short-term usage after being on pills for so long? Is there anything that I can ask the doctor to try to help me manage my pain while allowing my stomach to heal from CHS (goes away after cessation of use of marijuana)? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi and welcome to Bluelight! I want to make sure that I understand your situation: You experienced lack of appetite from the cannabis and did not begin vomiting until you took morphine right? It's likely that your stomach issues are caused by the morphine because it's known to contribute to nausea and vomiting.

I don't think that Hyperemesis Syndrome would occur after you've stopped using cannabis but I could be wrong. Is your pain management doctor willing to prescribe something other than morphine for your pain?

perhaps try adding cyclizine to your meds? its an antihistamine
your vomiting def is due to the morphine - my sister had the same issue but cyclizine cleared up almost all of the nausea for her