• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Cannabis bud edible - First time use - Hell trip! Appreciate any/all advice ;-)

LurkingCrassZero

Greenlighter
Hi all, registered long time ago but only really ever been a lurker. I'd appreciate some advice to avoid this bad experience or at least help deal with it should it occur again.

I recently acquired some cannabis bud to try and self medicate for depression and anxiety. I'm hoping this experience is more down to my total lack of dosage knowledge. I dried a teaspoon of ground/dry bud in the oven, then proceeded to sandwich it in between two chocolate biscuits which I ate after 20 minutes of baking. Around 2 hours later later the effects came on very rapidly! Within 10 minutes I'd reached a point where I felt stuck in the moment, and that I had died and this was my punishment, to be stuck unable to think beyond this instance in time, while time progressed normally for everyone else. I thought I was in hell and even for a moment admired the sheer cleverness and simplicity of it. Every explanation that popped in my head was instantly explained away, and even threw up explanations for why people act mad for the entirety of their life, because they to are stuck in the moment, like me!

This lasted 4 hours, although it felt like days or even a week had passed, and I swore to never touch the stuff again The next day I was still questioning whether I was given this breather as a way of tormenting me to only then put me back in this hell. Today however I feel fine and logical.

I just wondered if this is a common experience, and also if using cannabis edibles makes this more likely to occur? I'm pretty certain I gave myself a mega-dose, as when I talked to a friend today about it, they said what I'd ate was a ridiculous amount, but especially so for my first dose. Also the bud I used is apparently causing a few folk locally to flip out, as it has a particularly high THC content, which I didn't know!

I would like to medicate in the future, but this bad first experience has put me off somewhat. Is there any way to avoid or reduce this? Is it purely down to chance this happened, a bad reaction unique to my brain chemistry or purely a dosage issue?

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_marijuana
substancecode_cannabis
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
..I dried a teaspoon of ground/dry bud in the oven, then proceeded to sandwich it in between two chocolate biscuits which I ate after 20 minutes of baking.
^^^Leary's biscuits... M-m-m...=D

..I just wondered if this is a common experience, and also if using cannabis edibles makes this more likely to occur?
^^^
Pretty common if you are not having huge tolerance to cannabis. Edibles are a lot more "inevitable" and persistent in their effects compared to smoked/vaporized, thus it could be scary and confusing, also it takes time for oral THCa to work, sometimes up to 2-3 hours, but could as little as 20-30 mins, depending on your stomach content (alcohol, certain juices and generally empty stomach will increase effects) and your metabolism, primarily fat metabolism as far as I know.

Please do not drive on edibles, especially if not familiar with effects!

..I would like to medicate in the future, but this bad first experience has put me off somewhat. Is there any way to avoid or reduce this? Is it purely down to chance this happened, a bad reaction unique to my brain chemistry or purely a dosage issue?
^^^
IMO, you ate too much and/or too quick. I'd recommend for the future to infuse your own oil (coconut is best IMO) with your bud, then cook something out of it (brownies are easiest way). When trying your batch first time, eat a small piece slowly, over the course of 20-30 minutes and wait for any alerts/effects, if feeling fine within a couple of hours, eat a little more and see where it takes you!

Also remember, that alcohol will definitely increase edible effects. Full stomach will delay the effects by hours and will diminish effects too.

Good luck! ;)

half or quarter the amount would have been better.
you have strong weed.
spread it more thinly and you will enjoy it more.
the moment can last a long time, and that does not have to be painful to be beautiful and insightful.
use less & get less pain more pleasure

Eating cannabis, at high doses, produces the strongest type of reaction. Sounds like you had a really high dose, it's hard to say because weed varies in potency so much these days. I have read many stories of people going to the emergency room thinking they were dying, but it's just anxiety. Personally I find it much more economical and controllable to smoke (or vape) it. Eating it is very nice but harder to dose right and it also lasts a lot longer and takes a while to come on.

Marijuana reduces anxiety for some people but I would say it's a rather anxiety-producing drug in general. It can help with depression in some too. I have also seen overuse of it transform some friends into depressed, miserable individuals who never leave home. I use it daily in small amounts, just because I enjoy it and it increases music appreciation/creation really well (I'm a musician).

Weed can act in a psychedelic way especially so if used in edibles. The experience you had is par for high dose oral cannabis experiences.

I used to be an advocate for eating cannabis and often got asked to make my flapjacks by many tokers - I gave out warning but they were mostly all heavy smokers so didn't take it that seriously - despite long term use none were prepared and hadn't seen anything like it once they went over the line and hit a psychotic wall of hash moving towards them a 300 miles per hour. I did work out how to get pretty much exactly the correct effects I desired from oral cannabis but it requires several things in trial and error - a fairly exact recipe (cooking with oil/fat is correct) with pretty consistent material (potency wise) and a consistent base; ie always taking it on a empty stomach produced effects more evenly over a easier to estimate time scale; 2hours is actually a very long wait the way I did it. It can last an incredible long time orally with high doses. My Girlfriend had a total hell ride first time wildly over dosed and felt awful for two days. Like lots I often quoted depression and the like as part of the motivation for use; for what it is worth I think that was self deluding, my use was problematic in someways and whatever it's virtues I don't consider it especially good medication on that front and sometimes detrimental - alluring though it may be as a easy fix there are much better things one can do on that front they just don't seem like fun. As I prefaced "for what it is worth" and it's my personal long term experience before people start defending it (just as I would have) or start list strains and all the rest of it.

Last edited: