• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

help understanding thc/cbd levels in relation to anxiety

the_void

Bluelighter
I'e used a lot of drugs , but over the last 10 years pot was the only drug I could not consume without freaking out. I experimented with cannabis in various forms (edibles, hash smoked & swallowed, sativas, indicas, shwag, kush, hash oil) maybe 100 times over that ten years, and many of the times I smoked were the most unpleasant, uncomfortable experiences of my life.

Since the dispsaries opened however, I was shocked that there were strains that I, a cannabis sensitive person , could get baked as hell on with no Ill effects. Diamond kush (high cbd) was the first , Purple Candy (,very low 0.34 cbd,)was the second. How is that? I was under the impression that high cbc strains were the best for incredibly anxious individuals such as myself. I know it varies from person to person, but I saw the dispensaries recommending the PuRple candy to rookie smokers and anxiety prone individuals. When I take a break from smoking , the Purple candy is one of the only strains I can tolerate.

I apologize If my question is not appropriate to this board , I searched and did not find anything .

Totally appropriate place for your Q&A, brutha.

Now, I'm no expert on this shit (but we've got a handful of 'em lurking around here, hope they speak up on this soon for ya) but my understanding-- my incredibly general understanding-- is that THC is the trippy, anxiety-causing psychoactive and CBD and CBN are the more medicinal, stoney, relaxing psychoactives. Strains high in THC can easily trigger panic or anxiety attacks in susceptible individuals. Strains high in CBD, on the other hand, tend to help calm the mental processes down and have a physical, pain/ache-relieving effect on the body. Note the word "tend;" with all the hybrids these days, it's going to be difficult to guarantee an effect from any particular strain for any particular user. Weed's getting crazy these days. If it were Pokemon it'd probably be at it's second evolution, and I'm kind of stoked to see where it goes from here.

How much of it did you smoke?

IME any strain, with too much, can induce anxiety.

There are some of us who simply can't handle marijuana. I'm one of them. I used to smoke for maybe 15 years or so, but I'm naturally anxiety-ridden, specifically general anxiety and social anxiety. Even though I used to smoke daily, I couldn't ever be high in public without feeling super uncomfortable, and I have always had a really strange psychedelic like effect from pot. Also I get this weird de-personalization effect, thats hard to explain. I get the physical symptoms of anxiety too - rapid heart beat, shaky/weak muscles, fight or flight mode, etc. I never understood how some people can 'relax' on weed. To me, its like a stimulant, which I hate.

As I got older, the 'good' effects from weed because less pronounced, and the 'bad' effects became more pronounced. Once I got into my mid 20s, I could no longer tolerate it in any fashion. The "only" way I could smoke without feeling like I was in absolute HELL is if I was on a high dose of stimulants, or benzos, or something else that produces a flood of euphoria to block out the negative effects of the pot.

It is weird, but throughout the years I've actually met quite a few people who have the EXACT same reactions to pot that I have. It seems to be a fairly high percentage of people that weed effects like this, if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 1-2% of people have this reaction to it.

occasional smoking of cannabis is less comfortable than a daily hit or two.

if you have not been smoking for a while, take half or less what your dopey friends take, you should be ok. after a week of one or two tokes per day you will wonder what the fuss was, but still, if you smoke way too much you will probably strobe yourself in loops.

I think the dispensary benefit mentioned above was amazing, but I am not familiar with the strain or with CBD x THC ratios as relates to anxiety.