• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting Amphetamines; A Mistake?

dAmphetamine

Greenlighter
Have been using amphetamines for work now the past 2 years. I usually just dose dexedrine from 30 - 60 mgs, and if I use dexter meth I usually dose 10 - 40mgs a day. Always early AM, potential redose at the second half of day. Now when I stop, I never get any intense withdrawals at all. Heck I hardly notice it. Outside having a great appreciation for food. Not that I'm desiring to eat it anymore than usual (I made sure to eat, drink, sleep with my habit).

Now ultimately I want to live amphetamine free for every aspect of life; but notice whenever I take that moment to, things progressively go downhill from there. Usually losing my job by either me quitting out of some frustration, or because I appear a lot more careless at work. I've even had employers ask me if I'm on drugs at work, when I'm not on amphetamines... suspecting that I am on stimulants! WTF?! Then to top it off, it's not like within the first couple of days or weeks. It's like, 3 - 6 months after I've been completely off that it peaks to those consequences.

Am I retarded..? At this point I'm thinking I gotta be on this crap the rest of my life.. Ugh, bluelighters.. any suggestions? Is this is even normal? I'd think it's the opposite that a person on drugs keeps themselves together.. and if they do, it's never forever.. or at least that's all I hear about it.

(Also I quit amphetamines because I met a person who had a rather frightening tale of his relationship with amphetamines; as well the stigma lurking on me, and just personally seeing it as not truly necessary at this period in my life; it'd be a waste)

Do you have a good doctor you can work with on this? Significant stim/amphetamine use can really mess up our brain chemistry, and it may be the case you need some kind of anti-depressant medication (or something - I really have no idea, I don't know much about pharmacotherapy when it comes to recovery from stimulant use disorder) or something would help you out.

When did you quit taking amphetamines? Are you still taking anything else regularly?

Hey man,
'going through the same just but on 4 years , dose 10-30, very sensitive to tolerance and reduce to decrease , very rarely spontaneosly binge. Weed as a downer. Am trying everything to get off , used benzo too, tiny productive doses at times. I produce better but live a life I don't think is necessary. It's roller coaster. Tried therapy , too generic and none understood me. I know it's me who decides yet .....damn me , I don't want to believe this is the way , there must be another . Found a couple but stopped and got back to same old habits. Been better than before "feeling" but still .. I know I should quit. Adult ADHD diagnosis gave an unlimited access . One thing I know , it's not easy and the longer I wait, the harder it will be to go another way without feeling sadistic, assumed on drugs when reality is the opposite .... every pseudoscience doctor or shrink fucking gave it a name. I can get them to do anything, I amaze myself at what would happen if I was more susceptible and less controlled. Or am I, everyone seems to think so. I just call it crazy me . I like it deep inside, it's easier than the other ways. Hence back to the dilemma, should I get off, yes, maybe , yes, no then yes. Good journey and if you find a shortcut. Please share