• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Inhaling oil contaminants in nitrous oxide chargers?

Cotcha Yankinov

Bluelight Crew
It seems many people are having issues with machine oil contamination of nitrous oxide chargers. We wonder how much of this is actually inhaled when inhaling with various means, what the significance of this may be, and how to reduce inhalation of oil.

Perhaps transferring the gas from a whip cream dispenser to a balloon before inhaling may cut down on inhaled contaminants/oil?

How much of the oil is effectively "suspended" in the air, and thus may need to be filtered rather than just transferred to a balloon?

https://erowid.org/chemicals/nitrous/nitrous_info5.shtml

nitrous_contaminant1.jpg

Fill your canister with cotton balls.

Ooh I really like this idea.... probably better even than activated carbon?

How about cotton balls drenched in ether :>

Also: how much sooty oils etc precipitate compared to say the crap from smoking cigarettes?

As far as mass, its nothing, but its got a really chemically/dirty feel to it, like its gotta be horrible for you.

Thanks guys.

Perhaps a fine enough filter in the dispenser nozzle should give some visual of how much oil joe average would actually be inhaling?

Assuming the oil is pigmented anyways, and doesn't somehow sneak through the filter.

In theory, if you wait long enough after emptying the charger into the canister, the oil will stick to the walls rather than being present as any sort of inhalable aerosol. Putting cotton filters in the nozzle is also a good idea.

Obviously small percentages of the oil must be acceptable for oral administration otherwise I'd expect the FDA up in arms over this.

Yeah I used coffee filters too! They soak up and collect a lot of the machine oil they use in production to fill the canisters.

I wonder if this could easily be solved by simply cleaning the nitrous canisters before loading them. A quick dunk in warm soapy water or a wipe down with ethanol should remove any residual oils. My guess is that the oil comes from the outside, rather than the inside of the canister.

If you've ever bought a box of nangs you'd know they aren't oily. The oil comes from the inside of the canister, it's present from the compression process.

Neither paintballs nor airpumps for tires or balloons etc are for consumption, whipped cream on the other hand is... so they would only be held to the same standard if there is no effort made to keep the machine oils in the whipped cream chargers as they are.

You also wouldn't consume as many nangs as you would use those chargers to eat the actual whipped cream; and inhaling and ingesting these oils really aren't the same thing.

I have no idea why you would load that many cartridges, it should be quite bad for the nozzles / vents etc as it's more pressure than they are designed for.

The residual oils shouldn't be the problem by the way, they should stick alright once they are not semi-vapor like anymore from the charging... so cleaning them probably wouldn't do that much, and having an adsorbent coating in your cylinder should help encourage the oils to precipitate..
We also don't really know how quickly this happens and if a significant quantity of oils even stays as vapor in the gas or just mostly precipitates on the inside right away, though the fact that the oils are observed on the inside of balloons shows otherwise to some extent.

Last edited:
Holding a filter over the end of the nozzle (cotton fabric) while inhaling will catch the contaminants while passing the pure nitrous.

I am doing some science here along with getting rid of the oil. I have an "absolute" filter (0.3 microns) hooked to my cracker and I am going to weigh it, compared to a new one and then cut it open just to see how much oil is in 600 Leland "Creamers". I am wearing my white coat so this isn''t getting high, it is science dammit!
I will say I am not tasting any oil. I just started fooling around with these whippets. For years I had a 20lb cylinder and an account at the welding store. I am trying to get that going again as we speak but they are being pricks about it. I used a regulator, solenoid valves and several hoses. Push the button, take a hit. Sex is fantastic with it. This was also medical grade that has nothing but a sweet taste. That oil thing bummed me out. G

Last edited:
Guessing this would be similar to the "mystery oil" found in butane and propane, typically by cannabis extractors. This is butane rated for food grade, and the standard practice(for legit companies) is to redistill the butane at a more precise temp.

I imagine most industrially produced gasses are produced in a similar way, through means of separation by heat(distillation), many of which are hydrocarbons and byproducts of gasoline production. Not sure how nitrous oxide is sourced, but not all brands/sources are equal. Some will be more/less refined. I'm not a nitros fan, but I'm sure there is a way to redistill the nitros similar to how one would butane.

allowing the container to sit undisturbed will probably allow a majority to settle, but once agitated by say letting pressure in/out, it will be in suspension again/floating around. Cotton ball and cloth will remove some, but it appears to be really fine particles, something more suited for repirator or dust mask....if I used it all the time I'd try to find a way to redistill or something.

The best guess is this is compressor oil from the liquefaction process. I don't think there is any petroleum in the manufacturing the process (breaking down Ammonium Nitrate with an acid). A 0.3 micron filter seems to get it out but I am not sure how long the filter is going to last.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this research from Erowid:

"Perhaps our most interesting conclusion is that a simple piece of cotton cloth, such as a t-shirt or kitchen towel, placed over the output nozzle at the time of inhalation, is an easy and effective method of filtering out nearly all of the residue discharged from whipped cream chargers."

Since the dangers of ingesting petroleum are so great and the ease of doing a good job of filtering it out so trivial, why would you screw with a rag? If nothing else, buy a fuel filter but I would still put some oil absorber in there. I am a heavy user so maybe I get more worried about it than a guy with a balloon or two at a party. This is my filter.
Oil%20Filter.JPG

Since the dangers of ingesting petroleum are so great and the ease of doing a good job of filtering it out so trivial, why would you screw with a rag? If nothing else, buy a fuel filter but I would still put some oil absorber in there. I am a heavy user so maybe I get more worried about it than a guy with a balloon or two at a party. This is my filter.
Oil%20Filter.JPG

It would great harm reduction help if people who have filters like this shared their methods and explained how they made them. Like Sekio said if LE or FDA sees that kind of harm reduction of making Nitrous Oxide filters information on bluelight it might lead to more restrictions or some bad.

Last edited:
It is fairly simple. Any canister filter with some breathing room in the can for some unscented oil absorber (not kitty litter) seems to do a great job. I have never seen a hint of oil in the output hose. The input hose is pretty funky. (literally thousands of carts.)
possible candidates, oil filter housing, fuel filter, water filter, whatever with a replaceable element. Open the can. Put the filter ele4nent in the can, held hole up. Spoon in the oil absorber until it is pretty full (outside the element) Screy w the top on and use the the other way (base down) That is usually where the mounting screws are so you can screrw it to a block of wood, or your cracker.
If you don't work on cars , find someome who does and buy tyhem a $5 bag of absorber and give it to them after you fill a coffe can that will last years. Get a beer or two ;)

Cart%20Loader%20open.JPG

The filter part seems simple but it's after that the instructions get a bit confusing. I know people that work on cars and more but they would never do something like this for me.

Idk maybe it's me and I'm just not very smart when it comes to this type of thing if that's the case... I'm sure other people will give their opinion and especially their thanx for the information if they can make a filter like that using those instructions.

Last edited: