• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Strattera for depression?

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
So I know Strattera has only been approved for ADD/ADHD, but I have read about doctors prescribing it off-label for depression. It has me curious...

Here's the thing: I do not have ADD/ADHD and have never exhibited symptoms anything like those who who are diagnosed as such. I am currently on Wellbutrin 300mg daily, and have been for about four months. I felt in the beginning it had SOME effect. Made me more "peppy," less lethargic, more alert, and the depression got SLIGHTLY better. In the ensuing months, however, I feel it has done very little for me, outside raising my already high anxiety level up another level. I do have a benzo script and a very, very cool doctor who has never given me any indication she planned on cutting back or weaning off the benzos at any point in time.

My questions are:

With Wellbutrin not really helping, would Strattera be an option, despite my lack of any semblance of ADHD symptoms?

Would it cause even more anxiety than the Wellbutrin does?

Is there a chance my doctor would give this a shot?

The thing is, my depression is less deep sadness and terrible thoughts and more just a complete lack of ability to find joy in anything or motivation to do anything. Which is why I think Strattera might just help.

Due to bupropion's chemical similarities to amphetamines, I really thought this would help. I also refuse 100% to take SSRIs ever again. Zero chance. Maybe Strattera is just what I need, maybe not.

I feel that, even though they are very different drugs, their mechanism of action seems to be somewhat similar. I'm to the point of discontinuing the Wellbutrin, as all it seems to be doing is raising my anxiety level.

Anyone know how often Strattera is used for depression? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much.

I doubt it would be prescribed as the sole agent to battle your depression. It absolutely is used off label for this but usually when other options have failed. Have you tried anything else? Im a fan of Trintellix despite it being fairly new. Tricyclics? Anti-psychotic boost? Just throwing ideas out.

I doubt it would be prescribed as the sole agent to battle your depression. It absolutely is used off label for this but usually when other options have failed. Have you tried anything else? Im a fan of Trintellix despite it being fairly new. Tricyclics? Anti-psychotic boost? Just throwing ideas out.

Recenrly, no. In the past, I've been on close to two dozen different antidepressants, antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. I swore them off about a decade ago as I was being given medications I absolutely did not need. Wellbutrin was the first psychoactive/psychotropic medication I've taken in about ten years, aside from the benzos. I do not like the idea of antidepressants AT ALL, and only agreed to the Wellbutrin because it was one of a kind and produces very little side effects, no withdrawal, and does not zombify the individual.

It doesn't have many side effects and you might find it helps with motivation but I don't see what other benefits it could really have.

Wellbutrin is a really strange chemical for many reasons, but you're right it's a far shot from amphetamine. And that's good. You do realize that amphetamine can't adequately treat depression, right? It works for a month or two, and then the dose has to be upped for the antidepressant effect to stay. And so on. It's not a good medication for depression for 99.5% of people. So I'm not sure where you got that notion. It's been over three decades since it was actually indicated for depression.

Also, we're not the people you need to convince. But here's the thing though: you're already on a downer (whatever benzo you take). You also seem to report a depression that has to do with a lack of motivation. Would it make more sense to reduce that benzo and see if your motivation increases, or add a stimulating drug to counter-act it? I think you can see how this doesn't quite make sense to me.

Anxiety often goes hand in hand with depression so even though most anti anxiety meds are downers, they still help your symptoms.
If I'm anxious, I'm more likely to feel depressed. Treating the anxiety takes some of the stress off you to be able to treat the depression. At least in my experience.
Granted doseage and time of day play into it, taking a lot of benzos and crawling in bed in the middle of the day and sleeping is counterproductive, but taking thearuputic levels just to calm your nerves makes it a lot easier to face your problems head on.

Generally speaking, you can expect the side effects to go away in a matter of days or weeks. It sounds like you are having a good result with only 10 mg! The best thing to do is keep with it until you start feeling like you really can't continue. Then, talk to your doc and see what to do. Since you are at such a small dose, if the side effects turn out to be too intolerable for you, probably the only thing to do is quit, but your doc can help you decide.

Hey!!

Hi good morning! Whats up!? Hows it going!? From my experience, As someone who has both persistent depressive disorder (basically Major Depression) and Chronic Attention Disorder, Strattera was for me, very subtle. Basically what im trying to say is it didn't really do much of anything for me for either issues. But the fact is everyone's brain/body D.N.A. chemistry is a bit different. Look, obviously Drugs affect every individual differently. So what didn't work for me might actually work for you!! :) Yes it was first tested/researched in trials for Depression but from what ive read over and over it was found to be ineffective for Depression so thats why it was recommended for ADD/ADHD. The bottom line is its worth a shot to try it, its not hard at all to get prescribed Strattera. I Say Go for it man, it may make you feel incredible who knows. Its your personal choice, i sure as hell wont judge you for it! Just to be clear, just a heads up Strattera can cause permanent Liver damage in some people it has made their skin yellow (Jaudice) so be careful. Its a risky thing If you notice any signs of that quit it immediately, right away. It happened to my friend and he went to the Emergency room unfortunately. But the good news is once he discontinued it everything turned out okay. So with that being said I invite you to read these for better awareness & your own safety so you can decide for yourself if this is right for you. I suggest the following reputable websites http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-64629/strattera-oral/details & http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17208 & http://ahrp.org/recycled-drugs-fail...-marketed-for-adhd-cymbalta-for-incontinence/ with that being said i personally take 45mg of Remeron (Generic name Mirtazapine) its not a SSRI and has zero of the typical sexual side effects. So maybe consider trying that or Seroquel. Gabapentin is good too, i take that at the moment too. Also Fish oils are amazing. On a side note, 5htp and L-Tyrosine and & L-phenylanine supplements are decent too but can be expensive. I really hope we can talk in the future. If you have any more questions let me know. I am here to help buddy! We are all in this together. I am so grateful you brought this up. Its a very valid topic. Take care, Best of luck- Chad, 21 years old- California

Last edited: