• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Are Psychedelics linked with psychosis? (LSD)

kived

Greenlighter
Now before everyone burns me on the stake, i know this question has been asked a million times, but i'm asking for certain reasons. I'm 23 and in the past i have had two psychotic breakdowns (Including shizophrenia,paranoia,dillusions) and so on, the usual. These periods lasted for about a week each, with therapy helping me recover fully for a few months. I'm not completely sure weather the psychosis was drug induced or genetically triggered randomly. (Although i am sure my "heavy use" of both weed and psychedelics over a period of 2-3 years had helped trigger it. My question being, will a small dose of LSD(about 50-75 Mg's) combined with some weed trigger this kind of psychotic break again? I havent smoked any weed or done psychedelics in a year now, but some friends will be tripping this weekend, and i'm kind of moving towards joining them. I constantly remember the eye opening experiences i had, and i can't seem to resist. I don't plan on taking it again any time soon after this weekend İ(a couple years at least), but ı'm kind of scared given my past. I know for a fact that psychosis can be triggered when seratonin levels get inbalanced, but I'm pretty sure iv'e stocked up on my seratonin seeing i dont smoke or drink anymore and haven't done so in a year. Now i'm aware this sounds fishy and everyone may blast me telling me not to do it and warning me, but some constructive advice would be well appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, I think you want someone telling you it is ok, just do it. But unfortunately psychedelics can trigger psychotic breaks on people prone to them, especially those who have already suffer it.
That said, you are probably your best doctor. So if you think you can manage you might be right. Still it sounds to me like a lot to lose and not much to gain, but easier said than done. And you writing the post shows already some insecurity. Completely normal insecurity though.
In your case if you decide to risk it... I would have a neuroleptic in my pocket just in case. That is not magic pill to revert a psychosis, but it is the medication you'll get handed if things go wrong, so I suppose the quicker the better.

If I were you I would probably wait around 3 or 4 years of sanity to put my neck on the line. And forget about mixing with weed.
Try to be honest with yourself and weight the consequences of your acts. We can say a lot of different opinions around here but at the end of the day, you'll get whatever it is and it will be only your responsability.

Take care.

Well, I think you want someone telling you it is ok, just do it. But unfortunately psychedelics can trigger psychotic breaks on people prone to them, especially those who have already suffer it.
That said, you are probably your best doctor. So if you think you can manage you might be right. Still it sounds to me like a lot to lose and not much to gain, but easier said than done. And you writing the post shows already some insecurity. Completely normal insecurity though.
In your case if you decide to risk it... I would have a neuroleptic in my pocket just in case. That is not magic pill to revert a psychosis, but it is the medication you'll get handed if things go wrong, so I suppose the quicker the better.

If I were you I would probably wait around 3 or 4 years of sanity to put my neck on the line. And forget about mixing with weed.
Try to be honest with yourself and weight the consequences of your acts. We can say a lot of different opinions around here but at the end of the day, you'll get whatever it is and it will be only your responsability.

Take care.

Thank you very much for your reply. Iv'e asked around on a few other forums including reddit, and everyone seems to jump the gun and shit on me for even asking. All i wanted was some advice from experienced users, as i used to be one myself. And if i'm being completely honest, whilst having insecurities about doing this, i also just want someone to be able to tell me to just go ahead and enjoy myself. I love the feeling of loosing my ego, finding magic in such a bland enviroment, releasing my creativity and just being in love with everything, but i'm aware it's not that easy. And it feels like such a shame i'm not allowed to do this due to my past problems iv'e suffered. But your advice has been helpful. I think i will skip this weekend, and also stop for as many years as it takes that i'm confident enough to do it without a doubt on my mind. Although that day may never come.

Your decision sounds like the right one to me. We have been dealt different cards all of us. There is not much point in regretting our luck, just try to play them to the best of your abilities.
Drugs are powerful things, and not many get a favourable outcome from their use. Even seasoned users wonder if the advantages outweight the disadvantages.
There are other paths to release creativity, potenciate your capacity for loving and imagination, etc...i would try meditation, it is hard work but can be really satisfactory in the long term and no contraindications.

Your decision sounds like the right one to me. We have been dealt different cards all of us. There is not much point in regretting our luck, just try to play them to the best of your abilities.
Drugs are powerful things, and not many get a favourable outcome from their use. Even seasoned users wonder if the advantages outweight the disadvantages.
There are other paths to release creativity, potenciate your capacity for loving and imagination, etc...i would try meditation, it is hard work but can be really satisfactory in the long term and no contraindications.

Iv'e actually contemplated doing meditation for a while now, but have been so busy, and just lazy enough to continuously postpone it. I hear once mastered it's basically a natural high, to what extent i'm not sure but iv'e heard of its many benefits to health and the psyche. Maybe i'll focus on doing it right..

Where are you getting that psychosis would be triggered by serotonin imbalance of the minor ways psychedelics produce?
___

I think the first question for you to answer is: would it be worth it to you if say there is a 50% chance that you would get a decent trip and the other 50% that you would go psychotic. Is the eye-opening aspect just interesting, recreational and/or attractive to you by the way, or vitally therapeutic?

Normally IMO this is a negligible trade-off for most people, so much that it is better to just call it some sort of incident if it would trigger an episode... but nevertheless worth considering whether this is due to a (previously) latent mental illness.

But for someone with a predisposition this seems much like a serious trade-off. For some people remotely in your position it can be related to impulsivity / lack of self-control that skews this trade-off, this can make it seem like the yield is worth the sacrifice even if rationally or experientially this is far from true.

I don't think it is for anyone here to judge for you necessarily that you are unfit to trip, but rather that any such impulsive tendency is revealed. If this can actually be done and your considerations of this trade-off are truthful and rational, I guess it is up to you just like it is up to anyone else.

At the same time I am skeptical that if the risk is significant, weighing this could rationally result in the decision to trip... so I would be pretty cricical of these considerations.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/03/truth-about-psychedelics-and-mental-illness.html

Studies have revealed that populations of people who self-report lifetime use of psychedelic drugs ("psychedelic drugs" here refers only to LSD, psychedelic mushrooms, and mescaline, specifically,) actually have better mental health and a decreased risk for mental illness and psychosis compared to people who self-reported not using psychedelic drugs..

They elaborate on the shortcomings of using self-reported data, and the fact that certain definitively psychedelic drugs (DMT, ketamine, et.al.,) weren't included in the study because they "work differently on a biochemical and neurological level," but the findings specifically for LSD, psychedelic mushrooms, and mescaline, are sound, and it would seem from the data that not only do psychedelics not cause psychosis, but they appear to decrease the risk for psychosis in lifetime users.

Scientific literature aside, the problem is two, or perhaps three-fold. Firstly, the media loves bloody, terrifying, nightmare-fuel horseshit hype. Secondly, psychedelics DO have the ability to cause perfectly naturally occurring, but still latent, mental illness, to surface earlier than they would've if they were to surface naturally in their own time. Mental illnesses most often surface in the late-teen and early-adult years, and teenaged people are the most likely age group to begin experimentation with psychedelic drugs. These two things overlap in such a way, and (thanks to prohibition and the drug war) people are uninformed to such an extent, that it's all too common for the perfectly natural, latent mental illness brought out early by the psychedelic drug to be wholly and wrongfully blamed on the psychedelic drug itself, instead of the nature. The media gets ahold of the story, labels it a "tragedy", thus furthering their own confirmation bias about entheogens, and they spread their uninformed, misinformed, fear-story and hit-piece on psychedelics like they're primates smearing feces as far and wide as they possibly can. This becomes the perfect "think-of-the-children!"-style "manufactured outcry" excuse for our dominator culture to ban the category of drug that just so happens to also be the drug category that most commonly causes people to question the rules--and indeed the very most fundamental real-ness--of this made-up culture game that the dominator culture requires for it to remain in place.

Last edited: