• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

So I'm​ really gonna quit and need some experts from both sides.

H

Haytenit

The quickie: First, this is some tough stuff to even post but here goes...45 yr old 20 years on cocaine/freebase and the dreaded word to type, crack. Don't stop reading yet please. Been completely off that nightmare near 6 years, but adding for complete disclosure (please leave judgement out) thanks.

About 4 years ago I went from dealing with everyday pain to chronic can't button clothes or brush my hair OMG that hurts like hell all day forget sleep for more than 2 hr int, severe pain. Started PM and opiate Tx about 3 yrs ago and at 50mcg fent + oxycodone prn, finally agreed to ACDF for severe pain and debilitating pins/needles exactly 1 yr ago this month. No Rx abuse or even thoughts of, until after surgery. The pins/needles gone same day as surgery but it was traded for an ice pick in my neck just below fusion and pain so bad it draws tears when I turn my head far right.

About 6 months ago I started smoking pot and my pain doc cut me cold turkey on Rx same day I had first post UA. Nice guy huh. I have continued with him for Epidurals only and at first sign of WD my fellow pian pt friend offered to sell me her Rx as she doesn't use them at all and desperately needs the money. Problem solved, nope just created. I finally have a new MRI scheduled next week but really sick of the whole deal.

The surgery alleviated the pins but made it all (new/old pain) much worse. My Dr is obviously a jerk and my trust level zero but he does a very effective epi. I'm going to self ween with Tramadol, yes that's right, but my troubles are two fold. One, I do very physical work and quitting my profession is NOT an option so I need some opiate alternative for pain relief and two ENERGY.

So, what's the best option in herbals for both and weening (although the tramadol has helped in the past but not to complete abstinence) ANY OTHER GOOD advice is very VERY welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, man...absolutely no judgment from us about what you're up against, why, etc. If you've got a problem, we're here to help.

I'm not 100% *exactly* what questions you need to help with, but here are a few ideas. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm no pain doc.

One non-narcotic pain med that is seeing a fair amount of use, especially in US ER's is Ketorolac (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a693001.html). Ketorolac is sometimes descried as ibuprofen on steroids. i.e. It is an very strong non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. From what I understand, it can be very effective, though it's use is typically limited to short-term stuff. (I have heard anecdotes of longer-term use too, though).

Did you say what kind of pain you have? If you did, sorry...I'm still drinking my morning coffee. If it's neuropathic pain, there's always neurontin (gabapentin). It's effectiveness for pain varies. But for some people it can be quite helpful. Also, gabapentin does have the possibility of abuse and dependence. I can't speak to that very well except to say that I was Rx'ed it for two years as a mood stabilizer (very large amounts). At the time I had no idea of these other sides of the drug...but I never found it particularly useful recreationally, and I had very little trouble coming off of it (with a Dr.-supervised taper).

As far as your energy goes, am I right that a lot of the drag-ass is due to cutting out the narcotics? If so, there's the double-edged sword of kratom. Many, many people use kratom as a too for stepping down from an opioid habit and report excellent effects on their energy level. However, again, kratom definitely brings the risk of dependency.

Maybe these ideas can help get things started. I'm sure others will have more thoughts.
Sim

Suboxone. But only for short term. Doc's get people under this drug with thoughts of no wds or any side effects. I went from battling opiates battling suboxone. People do stay on long term for the pain relief. Good job on wanting a alternative. Salute.