• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery How To Repair Your Body, Mind, Soul - A Guide

Best part of this guide IME is the advice regarding being true to one's self. So many times myself and people around me said we wanted sobriety, but the reality is we only wanted it in an abstract, fantasy-sense. We didn't want actual sobriety, and consequently failed.

Hello Bluelight!

Okay - finally some time off!
I apologize for the delay, as work and home life has become
troublesome lately. Before I post the supplement schedule, I have to vent.

The rehab industry has become a get-rich-quick scheme for the sketchy, sociopathic,
business-minded people such as those that are usually our heroin, crack, or meth dealers.
Think of the most sociopathic, evil, duplicitous, envious, power-hungry, conniving, manipulative,
and insensitive people you've met - I bet some of them were drug dealers? Or pimps? Or both?

Well. Check this out.
Those monsters have discovered a new hustle,
and that is the rehab industry. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met
and even worked for, who were once your average street corner dealer, or drug smuggler, or
even arms-trader or pimp. It totally makes sense, considering the assertiveness and effort
that goes into doing those jobs on the street or black market. It's a natural fit for them!

These people have basically infiltrated the recovery scene, and have
switched from selling you drugs,
to selling you drugs and then treating you for it,
before selling you drugs again when you relapse. WHEN you relapse, not IF.
Even relapses are manufactured and triggered by these.....things.

It is dis-gus-ting. It is so, so wrong.
And I just so happen to live in a sober house that is run by one of these pieces of living shit. I just uncovered
the truth and so many past instances suddenly made sense.. I didn't see it before because she is very
good at hiding it. I've been here for 10 months, and only saw her maybe twice a month.

So, long story short, I'm moving! I've had a desire to move, but I have become good friends
with the other guy that lives here, and that alone has deterred me from leaving so quickly.

Okay - I feel a little better. (sigh)

It sounds like you have had a really rough time as of late!

I find the mainstream abstinent-only recovery movement, which prescribes what recovery "should" look like (the idea that recovery is self-evident and looks the same for everyone or something), very distasteful and ironically counter productive.

TPD - I have, but I am used to dealing with shysters. So I managed to go over the head of the supposed director, and spoke to the owner - and totally undid all the director's bullshit.
I bought myself some more time, and as a result, landed a better job in OC and found several nice potential places to live.
I can't wait to get back to the beach!

I made a couple of quick updates to the Kratom section. I will be updating more tonight, and adding the suggestions proposed by other BLers.

Best part of this guide IME is the advice regarding being true to one's self. So many times myself and people around me said we wanted sobriety, but the reality is we only wanted it in an abstract, fantasy-sense. We didn't want actual sobriety, and consequently failed.

I agree.. Fundamentally, that is precisely the core of it all. None of us will ever manage to stay sober if we don't actually want to be.

I have gone over this in my mind, over and over and over and I, a very problem-solving-oriented person, cannot figure out
how to put this across to a newly sober person, in such a way that will make sense to them if they can't even see it
for themselves. I look back and keep asking, "would I have changed my perception if I had known this? Could I even have
learned to be absolutely truthful with myself in order to keep track of myself and what I'm doing?"

My own answer, to myself, is a consistent NO. I don't think anything - even my own realization of the underlying causes - would have stopped me. Because of the way my willpower works, I could never have changed without massive personal consequences precipitating it, such as the absurd amount of arrests and horribly miserable homelessness I most recently experienced. So I keep reaching this sort of helpless feeling, whenever I am presented with a newly sober person.. I try to offer advice, very specific advice that may perhaps trigger
some kind of understanding in them, to feel like they can relate to me, as I do to them.. And I leave it at that.
At this point, it would be more suitable for me to be wearing a black tshirt that says DAMAGE CONTROL in big white letters,
because I think that's my most effective method of helping others. lol.

D A M A G E C O N T R O L

I really like that DAMAGE CONTROL idea of your Breathe! Great name for a band too =D

Thanks Breathe for your well thought out and very thorough advice. I'm on day 20 of long term methadone withdrawals and had to return to work.
This is exhausting in the extreme. Thankfully I'm the boss so I am able to 'disappear' and reappear when necessary.
Anyway I really liked your thoughts on 'Mental Hygiene' this really made sense with me after a week of driving around playing loud shouty Rock music & being short tempered and irritable with everyone I interacted with!
Also been taking 5-HTP for 3 days now although I have heard it has withdrawal symptoms of it's own...
I will be checking out some of the other supplements you've recommended. I really appreciate the thorough research.

Ahh OC Main... you don't know misery until you've spent two days kicking cold turkey, on the dirty ass floor because there's no room on the equally dirty ass benches, with 15 other people crowded together in the Loop. And then to add insult to injury, they force you to go into the cold ass shower and wet your entire head (which sucks even more when you're a chick with hella long hair)... and we all know showers might as well be torture chambers for the kicking junkie before day 3-4. Fuuuuck that place. Seriously. It's the absolute WORST. But I digress.

I mostly just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make this thread... I'm going on day 5 (again) and got a lot of helpful info out of it... and I'm sure it will help plenty of others as well. You rock dude :)

Seems to me one would have to be on a very nice salary indeed to afford all those supplements Breathe. I think if I'm committing criminal acts to support an H habit I'd still have to to support that suggested supplement regime?!?
Also there is much info stating that supplements are a con. Why so?
I appreciate youve put a lot of energy into this so please don't take this any other way than as an honest enquiry.

You raise very good point Eddieteetree. The issue is two fold in my mind. First, there is the issue of advertising and misinformation - supplements being portrayed as doing things that they aren't effective at doing. The second issue is related to quality control, as the supplement market is largely unregulated and definitely attracts some shady characters.

[mention]Breathe[/mention] perhaps you could edit your thread a bit to reflect these nuances?

Supplements are like food--everyone has different needs and unique reactions to dietary intake, whether it is a mineral, a vitamin or calories. The best way to approach supplements (because there truly is a lack of research) is to experiment yourself. If it makes you feel better it is worth the expenditure; if not, discontinue use. This approach requires a time commitment just like experimenting with your diet does.

Sometimes the fixation with supplements is nothing more than a continuation of the behavior that led to the addiction in the first place - looking for an outside substance to solve a problem. At least that's how it was for me for a long time.

Sometimes the fixation with supplements is nothing more than a continuation of the behavior that led to the addiction in the first place - looking for an outside substance to solve a problem. At least that's how it was for me for a long time.

This is me right now, sadly. I keep popping capsules of whatever like they're candy. Should something work, I'll have no idea what it even is!

Though I think Theanine combined with Trytophan may have helped me get 4-5 hours sleep last night.

I have been having good luck with Melatonin lately while jumping off daily but low dose alprazolam. It seems to get along well with sporadic gabapentin as well, although I'm still curious about why it's a prescription drug in the rest of the first world countries. Priest They Called Him had a good article awhile back but it got shut down due to a small advertisement contained within. Okay mission accomplished, Bump.

September 26, 2016- PTCH's post stuck with me, the link was an article about how a small group of people were using melatonin to try and cure cancer, aids, etc, because it's a strong anti oxidant capable of protecting organisms from ionizing radiation and free radicals along with some abusing it for it'd depressant effects. Both seem lacking for a ban but maybe there's more to it, who knows these days. I think the link was dealing with Canada /UK specifically as it's also banned OTC in Greece, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Brazil, Germany, Austria, Belgium, South Africa, Iceland, and France. Personally I think Aspartame is worse..

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ada-Banned?p=13795531&viewfull=1#post13795531