• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Recovering From An Opiate/Benzo Overdose

thatonechickk

Greenlighter
Two days ago I overdosed at a friend's house on heroin and subsequently probably adding to that taking my normal dosage of anxiety medication a couple of hours earlier. Due to the Good Samaritan's law in my state, my friend nor I had any legal reprocussions. Regardless this isn't what this thread is about.

I am not a regular user, I have been off and on for the last 3 years or so with stretches of clean time. I fell off and started using once and then a month later, then two weeks later, then a week.... you know how easy it is to fall off without knowing how you got there. I visited my friend to originally just get suboxone and ended up waking up to 5 emts pulling me up. My friend hit me with one of the tiny narcan things that release in your leg and didn't have time to use the one in the red package as he couldn't leave my side. He said he had never seen anyone fall out so fast. The emts told me I was out for 3-5 minutes and they had to admin 3 rounds of narcan for me to come back. I refused to go to the hospital and releasing me from the ambulance they told me I probably had a cracked sternum and a few broken ribs from the CPR.

I feel horrible for putting anyone through this, my boyfriend knows that I'm struggling, I'm dealing with a lot of PTSD from an ex almost physically killing me/kidnapping me/leaving one of my legs extremely damaged and dealing with court testimonies etc. and I'm more or less not making that a sob fest though it is real and I feel alone, *but* I want to know how long does it take for your body to recover from an overdose? What happens/the process to recover?

I'm still dizzy, obviously my chest is going to be in a lot of pain but sometimes it feels like I am having palpitations, is it still save to take a small dosage of suboxone? What damage at the least and at the worst could be going on? I sucked it up and posted as this site has been helpful to me many times before. I'm just trying to rest and any other good resources I will gladly take them. I feel very alone and like a complete letdown.

I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through. Are you getting any help (counseling) through the courts or any other social services? This is a lot to go through on your own. I know that you already know this but I want to further support the knowledge that you need to stop the drug use in order to heal. It is so tempting when you are in such psychological distress to try to self-medicate but it is rarely effective except in the very short run.

You should at least go to the ER and get an xray of your chest. You want to make sure that if your ribs are indeed cracked that they are in the right position for healing. What kept you from going to the ER--fear of medical bills or legal issues or both? I hate to see you deprive yourself of medical care. Call your county mental health services and find out if there are support groups for victims of abuse, addiction services etc.

Again, I am sorry for your suffering--both past and present. Take good care of yourself.<3

Two days ago I overdosed at a friend's house on heroin and subsequently probably adding to that taking my normal dosage of anxiety medication a couple of hours earlier. Due to the Good Samaritan's law in my state, my friend nor I had any legal reprocussions. Regardless this isn't what this thread is about.

I am not a regular user, I have been off and on for the last 3 years or so with stretches of clean time. I fell off and started using once and then a month later, then two weeks later, then a week.... you know how easy it is to fall off without knowing how you got there. I visited my friend to originally just get suboxone and ended up waking up to 5 emts pulling me up. My friend hit me with one of the tiny narcan things that release in your leg and didn't have time to use the one in the red package as he couldn't leave my side. He said he had never seen anyone fall out so fast. The emts told me I was out for 3-5 minutes and they had to admin 3 rounds of narcan for me to come back. I refused to go to the hospital and releasing me from the ambulance they told me I probably had a cracked sternum and a few broken ribs from the CPR.

I feel horrible for putting anyone through this, my boyfriend knows that I'm struggling, I'm dealing with a lot of PTSD from an ex almost physically killing me/kidnapping me/leaving one of my legs extremely damaged and dealing with court testimonies etc. and I'm more or less not making that a sob fest though it is real and I feel alone, *but* I want to know how long does it take for your body to recover from an overdose? What happens/the process to recover?

I'm still dizzy, obviously my chest is going to be in a lot of pain but sometimes it feels like I am having palpitations, is it still save to take a small dosage of suboxone? What damage at the least and at the worst could be going on? I sucked it up and posted as this site has been helpful to me many times before. I'm just trying to rest and any other good resources I will gladly take them. I feel very alone and like a complete letdown.

If you want to take suboxone, just make sure that you do not have any opiates in your system. This will throw you into a immediate withdraws. You may want to look into some benzos if you are experiencing withdraw effects, but if you do have any opiates in your system, be sure not to mix the 2.

Wish you luck! If you are feeling alone, try posting more on bl.