• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Augmenting NRI's with L-phenylalanine or L-Tyrosine

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I find this search engine "google patent" to be pretty good in contrast to "google scholar".

https://www.google.com/patents/CA2388377C?cl=en

Mentions the treatment of fatigue related to depression being treated with NRI's, in addition to NE precursors, L-phenylalanine or L-Tyrosine.

I'vec been taking 1000mg L-phenylalanine the last week.

I think it's made somewhat of an impression.

Does anyone have experience with these supplements?

L_Tyrosine is cheaper so, if it was something I was going to take long term, I was curious as to whether that would be as effective.

I find this search engine "google patent" to be pretty good in contrast to "google scholar".

https://www.google.com/patents/CA2388377C?cl=en

Mentions the treatment of fatigue related to depression being treated with NRI's, in addition to NE precursors, L-phenylalanine or L-Tyrosine.

I'vec been taking 1000mg L-phenylalanine the last week.

I think it's made somewhat of an impression.

Does anyone have experience with these supplements?

L_Tyrosine is cheaper so, if it was something I was going to take long term, I was curious as to whether that would be as effective.

These precursors have hardly any effect on extracellular dopa and NEP. SO i think it was a placebo response.

I've read some material that these supplements can increase the neurotransmitters excessively - which seems to have given rise to the situation I mentioned in the other thread - receptor saturation giving rise to fatigue - which has come upon me over the last day or two.

Gonna cut these out tomorrow.

I was taking 500mg L-phenylalanine for a week, and 1000mg for this last week.

I would avoid the patent literature if you are looking for ways to treat your depression. In the scientific literature, peer review manages to keep misinformation to a minimum (although some still manages to enter the literature). There is no such control over the patent literature, especially in foreign countries. Patents are not necessarily based on real or accurate information -- all the applicant has to do is convince the examiner that the invention described in the application is novel, that it is not obvious, and that it has a useful function. In the context of an idea that meets those requirements -- which may be theoretical, as the patent examiners usually do not require a working model or other actual evidence that the invention functions as described -- the patent examiners don't always carefully evaluate the supporting information. So it is very risky to read through the patent literature and use any of the treatments described.

Last edited:
I've read some material that these supplements can increase the neurotransmitters excessively - which seems to have given rise to the situation I mentioned in the other thread - receptor saturation giving rise to fatigue - which has come upon me over the last day or two.

The information you have been given is wrong, both phenylalanine and Tyrosine hydroxylase are pretty much saturated, so the increase certainly can't be neither excessive nor receptor saturating

I tried these and they are inactive imo relative to dl amphetamine

Last edited:
And this wasnt orally . What decarboxylate are they talking about

The decarboxylase inhibitor used is probably something like carbidopa, it's a drug that blocks conversion of L-DOPA to dopamine and 5HTP to serotonin.