• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2017 Bluelight NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge [Register before March 16!]

Tough loss for Kentucky, was a good game though.

I really thought they would have won in OT as well. Malik Monk is one of those guys who will always shoot himself out of a slump when you really need him to though. If the Sixers don't have the opportunity to draft Markelle Fultz or Josh Jackson, I would have Monk as my 3rd option. With Dennis Smith Jr a close 4th.

I was never really a big fan of Lonzo Ball, but he will go in the top 3 if the lakers retain their pick (which is the only way that happens, if their pick falls outside the top 3 it goes to the Sixers

I'm almost over it now. Looking into the new recruits. Hope springs eternal and all that.

all I got to say is though #cocknation #letsgococks

I really should have entered this year.

Oh well, grats to whoever gets it and go heels!

Gonzaga isn't pretty but they finally get their moment. I was born and raised in Spokane so it's been cool watching the program go from nothing to something over the years.

Zach Collins is an awesome player. I hope he has a big night tomorrow.

Sorry about the Zags losing thelung... nice no call on that meeks out of bounds play, am i right?

I'll just leave this here...

iCKi6cL.jpg

Think they will take away this title too, or just the one from 09? That is if the NCAA ever decides to actually do ANYthing

The NCAA was a leading power in the fight for LGBTQ player equality until the boycott was lifted today. It's a shame really. As far as stripping titles, no I don't think that's in the cards.

Seriously? What do you think will happen then? Slap on the wrist for 15 years of widespread academic fraud?

UNC getting put on probation in 2015 by the accrediting agency was punishment enough

The basketball program is not to blame and should not be punished as the university has already been.

The vast majority of people disagree with you. The university itself shouldn't be able to shield the team like that.

USA TODAY said:
“We did nothing wrong, OK? That's just the best way to put it,” Williams said. “Were there some mistakes made? You're darned right there were. Were there some things I wish hadn't happened? You're darned right. But there were no allegations against men's basketball.”

Williams can spin just about anything with his folksy charm and golly-gee-whiz self-deprecation. But not this. Not when the independent investigator appointed by North Carolina found that, for 18 years, more than 3,000 students, almost half of whom were athletes, got bogus grades for classes that didn’t exist.

Some of those grades allowed athletes to stay eligible. Some helped them graduate. All of them cheated young men and women out of their education — you know, the reason they were supposed to be at North Carolina in the first place.

This was largely the work of two former employees, but it was hardly a covert operation. Academic advisers steered athletes to the fraudulent classes, and “this steering was most prevalent among the counselors for the revenue sports of football and men’s basketball.”

The emphasis is mine, but the words are those of Kenneth Wainstein, the former U.S. assistant attorney general asked by North Carolina to investigate the fraud. While some of the players involved surely preceded Williams’ time — the fraud dated to 1993 and Williams didn’t arrive until 2003 — Rashad McCants told ESPN’s Outside the Lines that he never wrote his own papers.

“For some of the premier players, we didn’t write our papers,” McCants, a member of the North Carolina team that won the national title in 2005, told Outside the Lines in June 2014, three years after the Raleigh News & Observer began reporting on the academic irregularities.

“It was very simple,” McCants said. “When it was time to turn in our papers for our `paper classes,’ we would get a call from our tutors, we would all pack up in one big car, or pack up in two cars, and ride over to the tutor’s house, pick up our papers and go about our business.”

Last edited:
Every major school does this

Notre Dame football had a cheating scandal not that long ago

the smart schools just figure out a way to get these guys into Basket Weaving 101 so there isn't much effort required anyway

people like to huff and puff about proper education but I'm pretty sure you didn't turn on CBS to watch UNC face Gonzaga in a geography bee

Non-issue, UNC just got caught. They'll get some bogus punishment and be content with a championship parade

I'm agree with subotai.

These cheating tactics are available to everyone. It's not even an athletes issue. It's a rich person and/or deceiving persons issue. It's something that will exist with or without athletes. Since UNC got caught, they got rid of the "Basket Weaving 101" classes and washed their hands clean of it.

People will always find ways to cheat, in or out of the classroom.

Example: Grayson Allen

1667959_630x354.jpg

^ The whole Grayson Allen deal was disgraceful. I often wonder why and how the ACC is so revered when it is constantly knee deep in shit. Louisville. Syracuse. Carolina. Duke. Etc.

I guess the NCAA doesn't care as much about mentally unstable spoiled children assaulting others on the court (over and over again) as they do their entire "academic model" being undermined for 18 years at one of its "premiere" universities.