• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the new "gateway drug?"—A quandry based on a recent encounter.

SKL

Bluelight Crew
Now that marijuana is legalized or tolerated in many places, and the whole culture around procuring it is getting a whole lot more organized, one might even say corporate, even in places where it is not legal, what is the "gateway drug?"

Marijuana is now considered socially unexpected to the coming general adults by surprising margins. So obviously these two factors will combine and create more and more pot-smoking and toleration thereof and from thence, legalization—a polcitial certainty, eventually—there is no doubt.

But, as we know, most people who casually smoke marijuana don't get that much into drugs these days, that is to say, if we knew that someone else smoked marijuana, we'd be less likely to think that he other drugs than we were however many years. This dynamic means that people who do and supply harder drugs are less likely to bump into potheads as they now longer really share the same level of social overlap. So people who smoke marijuana nowadays often look down at hard drug use and a lot of them have no connection to it at all.

Despite not "officially" taking drugs anymore, I wanted some coke a little while ago, but none of my casual acquaintances like people in my building or even the bars I went to, I either didn't really think it was a good idea to ask or none of them had a good coke connect for just an eightball or so. I had to go on a ride with somebody who goes to cop some dope in Paterson (dope city in NJ) and get some crack in those stupid little tiny bags that always rip and make you spill the crack, for the obvious low price at a time, even though I bought a decent amount?

I'm not bitching about my crack connect, it's nothing that I'm going to do again in the future (although I just recently smoked pot, too, which was something I was very much not about for a good period of time, and even bought a bit) but if I did, I'd go through people who I know who are junkies. But I'd feel comfortable among them asking about it but not at all among random people who I might encounter and smoke a joint with, if I start up doing marijuana seriously anyway. It would be looked down up on.

But back growing up and what not if someone smoked pot they were more likely in circles where they could get other shit. This was unlike kids who just drank alcohol or whatever, they knew nothing about marijuana. Now, they certainly know someone who smokes it an probably smoke it themselves and could at least tell you what to smoke.

So, marijuana's kind of taken a step up in terms of credibility. You don't have to be a "druggie" to smoke pot or even "smoke pot," in terms of these rough social groupings.

What goes in it's stead? The mildest of what we might consider as "druggies," which was exactly what a pot-smoker was when I was growing up?

Cocaine? MDMA? MA? Weird Internet Drugs? Pharmaceuticals?

And how long will it take that to be thoroughly socially acceptable. Pharmaceuticals are pretty socially acceptable though probably just because there are so many of them, Valium or Xanax, sometimes not legit, people can get all the time, but often get out of their own prescription bottles, and sharing with friends amphetamines or Ritalin or whatever to study and Xanax or Valium to chill with and enhance alcohol or whatever.

Nah, I'd consider them pretty socially acceptable.

Heroin, which has no chance, is less socially acceptable than MA, I think, but I really have no knowledge of what it's out West where MA is just as common as dope (sometimes even y'all call it "dope" lol), I think has too much stigma.

Will Weird Internet Drugs just simply be the most easily available and the much socially accepted?

Worst of all possible outcomes. People, as you've seen many everyone on this site do, have gone to experiment with weird drugs and no other real intention, wind up all fucked up and on needle drugs or addicted to an absurd amount of powerful obscure shit a day, just a few years later quite often, as happens already....

...and then presumably just drugs are OK, eventually, by societal pressures, and I mean socially, not legally, well, I think most of us can I agree that that would not be a good thing,

so, I guess what I'm saying, is that the next thing that is socially acceptable, it better be cocaine or MDMA or maybe just ketamine or Acid and a few random E pills, but not just like, troves of shit. I worry seriously for my son about the troves of shit that are out there and will be in 3 or 4 years which is the age in which I got very, very, seriously into this stuff, although I was always reading the newsgroups and the websites and stuff in the '90s and then read mostly Erowid before then, those were the years when I just immersed myself in it, which eventually lead me, by the most part, to where I am presently in life, with a lot of involvement from the community of Bluelight.

It's not a fate that I think I'd wish on most people. Involved with drugs as much as we are, as yet as involved as to write about it online (I don't even really "do" drugs anymore btw), and all that.

But are we going to make it acceptable to the next generation of young people, to our kids? Or does it matter? I'd certainly rather have my kid's 2nd drug be coke or acid or mushrooms or maybe mdma, but I hope he doesn't take a 2nd drug, and I'm certain he'll take marijuana.

But I definitely wouldn't want him to take any Weird Internet Drugs, or opiates or MA or whatever. But Weird Internet Drugs are pretty high up there in what I would like not to become the next "gateway drug," the next thing that integrates people into a "druggy" scene in general. It is just tremendous disaster for all involved with similar products and for the little tiny of the fragments that the much more intimate organizations, in favor of major commercial operations. And it will be enormously bad for the people who get involved with, because, scene-wise—and all the "gateway-drug" stuff is all about what scene you're in, and that starts with, like, maybe even whether you drank beer in high school, your crowd, you know—now it's going to be something else.

(As for my kid, he'll be lucky anyway because between me and baby moms—who he lives with and I never see—the dude has the worst genetic loading for being a junkie fuckup. At least he has being raised in a reasonably homogenous and peaceful household his parents(1) provide for him. But still. A lot of us did have all that. I wasn't quite there but I did have some family support and stuff.)

I don't agree with the gateway drug theory. But a lot of kids got into phychedelics and roll through dub step then jam bands. I don't know any heroine users under 25 so I think the opiate crackdown impacted kids getting into opiates or I'm just old

if weed's no longer the gateway drug i'd argue it has to be something just as harmless yet still with that "illicit" or "danger" factor. so IMO it would default to something like LSD, psilocybin mushrooms or MDMA. yea I know MDMA is bad when abused, however it's not very dangerous when unadulterated and used sparingly as intended.

for the non-psychedelically inclined the obvious go-tos would be Rx stims like methylphenidate or light pain pills like percocet or vicodin.

The other gateway drugs: MDMA, Methylphenidate, Mixed Amphetamine Salts, Vicodin, Oxycodone, Xanax.

All those drugs are considered relatively harmless by a lot of people I have met who are drug naive. They could also potentially lead you down a path to stimulant/painkiller/tranquilizer addiction.

Note that I do not believe the gateway drug theory either, even though I started on grass and moved up to meth/heroin addiction later in life

I'll add that in some sense I don't believe it, you could say that I believe in the "weak" version of the theory that states it just lets people cross the vale of illegality and make new friends who do new things; as opposed to a "strong" version of the theory that says that there is some drive to do harder drugs once you smoke do totally different ones.

As others have mentioned, absconding with some Xanax or Percocet from mommy's medicine cabinet is the new "gateway". The classic gateway analysis in today's era is one that's applied to pharmaceutical opiates in particular, though...I see it all the time in news reports on the so-called "opioid epidemic". They lead the story with some anecdote about Joe Averageguy from Anywhere USA who wiped out on his dirtbike one day, got prescribed Vicodin (which made him feel like superman), and now he has to deal with a raging IV smack habit.

Also, on the subject of meth...I come from a region in which methamphetamine is fairly popular/widespread, at least as far as illegal drugs go, and even there it has a large stigma. It's partly because of unfair media portrayals of meth & meth users, but also because chronic methamphetamine abusers exhibit some of the worst public behavior of any drug scene IMO/IME. It depends on what part of the country you're in though...in the northeast USA, where meth doesn't have a large presence, people are more curious about it, having only seen its cultural impact through hysterical journalism and shows like "Breaking Bad" etc. At least that's been my experience.

I read that cigarette smoking in adolescence is the biggest indicator of being at significant risk of experimenting with hard drugs in later life. In my experience with hearing about/bumping into the people I went to high school with who are now addicted to cocaine, meth, and heroin, it's an absolutely valid correlation: literally all of them smoked cigarettes during high school.

I read the OP a bit more thoroughly, and, upon a second reading, I wouldn't imagine that "weird internet drugs" become the "new marijuana"...it seems to me that the only real selling point for many of those drugs was that they were legal (or at least existed in some kind of legal grey area)...now that many of them have become banned I think that a lot of people will go back to the "classics".

People are very wary of 'weird internet drugs'. Honestly I'm one of the only people I know IRL who is into them.

I'd agree that scripts are likely the 'new gateway drug'. I never would have liked opioids or cared to try them, but when I had my wisdom teeth out, I hit my first nod, and ever since have broadened my pallet. Not that I think they should be less prescribed (dear God don't leave us opioids!) but rather relating to the concept of prescribed medications being gateway drugs. Even my mom squirrels away opioids, I've stumbled upon her stash a few times, and it is indeed a stash, last stuff I found had my sister's name on the bottle, clearly wasn't hers but they were hidden there so... Anyways!

Pot was still a gateway drug when I was in high school 6 years ago. My interest in psychedelics stemmed from that, more and more these days potheads end up trying LSD, or mushrooms if they're the 'I only use "natural" drugs' crowd. Pot has an inherently psychedelic quality to it that I think steers people in that direction. In fact, some teenagers on break came up to my friends and I on the beach the other day and asked us if we'd ever tried LSD (where the fuck it came from, IDK) and proceeded to tell us what 'tripping' was like, whilst we were all on LSD, so that was a hoot... I'd venture to say that mushrooms or L are indeed next on the legalization/normalization train, the media attention is becoming more and more mixed rather than completely negative. I've tripped acid with a number of people who would never move on from just pot and acid.

Scripted drugs, especially opioids, are finally moving into hard drugs themselves; I know a lot of people who look at me funny if I ask where to get some codeine or anything like that. Amps are normalized, especially in regards to studying, but we see more and more vyvanse over adderal scripts. Know lots of people with a lisdex script but only one with an amp script still. I'm not sure why but I've only met one person who was ever a xanax dealer, but bars are certainly normalizing... I guess really, it's just the opioids that are moving into the 'hard' category, while most everything is moving away from that.

I know a few people who like cocaine but look down on being a pothead; cocaine is probably at its most normalized since the 1980s. I know way more people and places to find it than ever before, at least in the early 20s crowd. I don't think there's any good sourcing though, the coke I've tried recently has been majorly stepped on and feels more like amps (maybe it is amps lol) and doesn't meet with the description I hear of good, clean coke. Anyways...

So yeah, I think that L/mushies are the next 'gateway drug'. I think there's a lot of evidence to support that, and I'll stand by it. Scripts are becoming less normalized while psychs are becoming moreso. I would say that MDMA is next, but I really know more people who seek out L than I do MDMA (never even tried it myself) and I think that outside the EDM scene it's really not a high priority drug; even then, lots of those people I know are all about L when it comes to raving, which I have a distaste for because the EDM acid scene is silly bullshit, more so than the Head acid scene. Anyways, I've rambled enough. This is your local PD mod, telling you all the kids are gonna try acid next, signing off.

I think prescription pills are probably the new gateway drug. I have pre-teen age kids and I'm starting to lock up my scripts especially around some of their friends. After spending years in methadone clinics the people you see seem to be getting younger and more main stream for lack of a better way to say it.

It's alcohol and always has been. Here since I was already 6 feet tall at 15, I could go buy beer as much as I wanted, but I'd get carded until I stopped smoking for a pack of cigs, not always when past 28, but it still happened, coming back from a show sweaty cranked up with a band shirt on will get you carded for cigarettes here, although anybody will get away with buying beer in the gas stations/grocery stores/convenience stores. Was obsessed with getting drunk from 15 to 17 year old, I almost died one night and while I was recuperating, I picked up the old heavy laptop my uncle brought me while I stayed in the hospital and discovered Erowid, circa 99, yeah, every bed in my hometown has a ethernet port. Nothing I have discovered on Erowid and tried has made me so ill as alcohol. Good going Ireland and the UK, only booze, fags and prescriptions are cool with you guys now. Likely was passed to increase the sale of local amphetamine paste like they have in the UK and cocaine, which politicians profit from.

Most drug users I've met don't really know much about RCs, they might know about "bath salts" and "synthetic weed", ect... but that's pretty much it and I'm pretty sure only somewhat educated drug users know they can be bought online as a 99% pure unadulterated substance.
I could be wrong but that's just my experience, I don't really see them becoming the new "gateway drug". On the other hand, pharmaceuticals are becoming more readily available and they're generally considered safe because you get them from a doctor.