• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Controlling Methadone Doses

TheGlenn

Greenlighter
I seem to have this awful problem of sometimes taking an extra dose or 2 within my schedule and then end up sick for 1-2 days before I go back to the clinic. Currently on 260mg a day. But just somehow cannot break out of this habit of wanting to double dose for maybe a day or 2 out of the month. I always seen to think that the 1 or 2 extra doses I take can be offset by skimming a tiny bit of methadone off my existing doses and refil what I took. But it never seems to work out.

Does anyone else have this issue and what do you usually do about it. Ive been thinking of keeping other meds on hand in the future of this happens. But I don't want to screw up my UA's. Are there any tips or tricks any MMT patients use?

Last edited:
I'm on 50ml a day unsupervised I take 100ml every 2 days to get a bus and nod for like 12 hours 100ml holds me 2 days 260ml is a ridiculous amount

I used to do this, or occasionally sell a take home, but I was able to control it...

I would get 6 bottles of 120 mgs in 100 mls of tang (1.2 mg/ml.....)
I would sell a bottle or take an extra, which would leave me with 5 bottles. I would take 15-20 mls from each bottle to fill my empty one. I would end up with one full dose and 5 doses of 90-96 mgs or so which was more then enough to get by.

It sounds like u are just really craving an opiate like feeling, and honestly I find doubling up on take homes is usually not worth it and leaves u short...

What I have realized (and many of my friends an aquaintences have as well) is that I can get by on well under my prescribed dose. Methadone is very strong, and I believe most of us on methadone experienced withdrawal relief well before reaching our final dose...many of us continue increasing to chase a high, doctors want u at an effective "blocking" dose etc. (ofcourse methadone doesn't truly block like bupe, it just jacks ur tolerance so high typical opioids in typical doses no longer provide desired effects)

My advice to you would be to either try your absolute best not to double dose....do you smoke marijuana? I find it helps me big time by eliminating virtually all my craving for hard drugs...I u don't smoke perhaps it could be the lesser of two evils here and u could give it a try.

Or, u can just really tell urself that taking 200-220 mgs instead of 260 mgs will not kill you, and because of methadones half life, I doubt u would even experience much, if any discomfort. At least not from only a 1-2 days on a slightly lower dose.i bet u could get by on half of ur dose comfortably so long as it was not more then 3 or so days

Double dosing doesn't really get you high, more like tired and feeling blah like for the rest of the day.

Its probably just my addictive personality screwing with me. 1 day without a dose I feel like garbage, sweating profusely. When I have a buncha takehomes it always try to convince myself that 1 or 2 extra is fine and Ill deal with it later, but then I end up making myself suffering for a 1 and a half days before I go back.

Im assuming substituting diamorphine for that 1 or 2 days would be a bad idea. I wonder how many I would even need to equal around 260mg. This issue usually happens only once a month, but I'll have to take work PTO in advance on that day that I know I don't have my dose so it is effecting parts of my work life. I used to skim off like 60 mg each time, but then I would splurge on what remains due to my addictive personality on weekends. SOmetimes when I go in WD, when I get back to the clinic I will take 2 doses at once to take advantage of me being in WD so I can get a huge surge(I think that is where my problem mostly lies). Throughout the rest of the weeks I just stick to 1 dose(But I only do that knowing that I would never go over 1 or 2 doses at max)

Ive been using opioids for over 20 years. 50mg I would still be in WD. There was 1 day were I saved around 50mg for that "sick day" but I was sick still throughout the day. I think my opioid receptors are just burned beyong oblivion. I have a stable job and life because of MMT, it saved me, but I just need to find a way to stop this double dosing

Last edited:
^^^i would advise against using diamorph to cover for the methadone.
You should tell your doctor about this, perhaps u can get dosed twice a day, as you sound like a fast metabolizer of methadone....only one day without a dose should not lead to full withdrawal in the average methadone maintenance patient. So if this is happening, you must be metabolizing it much too fast

Just rather than thinking you're in withdrawals you need more thunk instead you need less to get out of w/d let alone high

They already diagnosed me a fast metabolizer. I would say around 20 hours after my last dose I'm in bad WD(not acute, but sick inducing where I effects my function). However they think the 260mg is enough to cover the fast metabolism issue.

Out of curiosity, how much diamorph is needed to cover 260mg? Ive heard 1 gram of average stuff is equal to only 60mg of done? That can't be true. I heard also 100mg of diamorph is equal to 100mg of done.
2 grams of diamorph would be needed for the same effect?

Last edited:
^^^from what ur telling us, it doesn't cover it though. I would just tell your doctor that it is not covering it, and perhaps 2 doses is in order.

It will cover as long as I don't fool around with my doses and take every 12 hours. I feel if I tell them it doesn;t hold me they will think im crazy since Im at 260mg(I used to be at 300mg but was getting PVCs too much)

I get the pink Mallinckrodt Brand(the ones that start in the large white bottles). Ive heard that Mallinckrodt was kinda a subpar brand because I remember being held better when I was given the pill version. Maybe because its liquid it breaks down in my stomach too fast(I usually take it on empty stomach too). Although I imagine taking it with food would reduce the potency since some of the methadone will be absorbed into the food. I notice when I take with food I get a longer more noddier coverage. But on a empty stomach I get a nice high still

What's the differance btween methadone liquid and the methadone tabs. Been on the liquid for sum time but never had the tablets. Plus is 10ml equal to x1 10mg tab?.....

What's the differance btween methadone liquid and the methadone tabs. Been on the liquid for sum time but never had the tablets. Plus is 10ml equal to x1 10mg tab?.....

People say the pills last longer/mg to mg feel stronger. Never had the liquid myself, but I remember giving a few pills to someone who went to the clinic, and they said the same dose in the pills felt like double the liquid dose.

OP if your clinic offers pills maybe you should try those to hold you off on the withdrawal.

There is absolutely no difference between pills and liquid...both products contain methadone hcl in the specified amount on the bottle or tablet.

To the OP, again I advise you to talk to your doctor about this, doctors will typically work with u if u are being legit and the treatment is not working the way us like it to

is 260mg really honestly considered a large tolerance? I know people on 350 and over.

There is no real ceiling to single entity opioids but things like Long Q-T syndrome/ Torsades de Pointes and the PVC's you mentioned make a lot of clinics "nervous" about going up beyond 200mg without a good reason. Being a fast metabolizer you could try some potentiating tricks but they are not known for adding more than about % 10 of your dose. Use caution with the borrow & payback system with take-home doses as it can build into a hellish cycle that's tough to shake.

I get the being in wd after a day. I always start to feel minor wd around 22 hrs. Stuff like major sneezing fits, nausea, etc.

But I stopped a long time ago double dosing. I've been doing a long term taper and went from 95 to currently at 31 mg. Haven't felt a symptom yet. I feel the early wd the same at 31 mg as I did at 95. So it's not dose dependent

You can generally drop 10% of your dose with no noticeable symptoms. So if you insist on double dosing I would leave your doses at around 220-230 and just take what comes off as your " extra"

I'm also going to be honest, maybe brutally so--260 mg is absurd. Your receptors are beyond saturated at that point. You could probably go down 1/3 of your dose easily and still have similar saturation. Do you ever plan on getting off the clinic? If you don't, what about if you ever need pain meds? Nothing is going to touch that dose. I'd honestly suggest a slow taper to get under 150...

Crzydiamond- I'm doing what you are now too. I was at 110 and am down to 65. I drop 3mgs every Monday. I feel the same as you. The worst wd I get is sneezing and yawning and it's always after 22+ hours. Sometimes if I stretch a muscle at night it feels like its about to Charlie hoarse but I stop and rub it real quick! I also think its a time issue bc its not getting worse as the dose drops. As far as 260. That is absurd. I feel OP went on mmt before they were ready to get clean. It only got so high bc they kept trying to feel high and mmt is not meant for that.