• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Trouble tapering alcohol

If you have a problem with alcohol it is extremely dangerous to mess with benzos. Those things are basically alcohol in a pill except they're a bazillion times more addicting and the withdrawals are the worst of any drug, according to reports I've read comparing benzo withdrawals to other drug withdrawals. I've been through cold turkey Klonopin withdrawals after just 6 weeks of use and it was the most traumatizing experience of my entire life. That's saying something because I've been through my fair share of shit. I still didn't feel right 6 months later. I wouldn't wish benzo withdrawal on my worst enemy. It's unbelievably painful and it lasts forever. No 3-7 days and your good. It's more like 3-7 months. My therapist said every time she's seen a recovering alcoholic try benzos they get addicted and all fucked up or they relapse on the booze or both. She's been an addiction therapist for 35 years. Knows her stuff. Anyways, just my 2 cents. Be very afraid of benzos especially if you've struggled with alcohol.

While all that you write is very true, I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone with a problematic history of alcohol use messes with benzodiazepines (or any other useful gabaergic medication in treating alcohol use disorder). However, when detoxing from an ethanol dependent state, medications like Librium and diazepam are not only useful, they are a necessary and lifesaving measure required to keep anyone dependent on alcohol from going into DTs, seizing, etc.

The point is that ideally these medications should not be taken without the supervision of a knowledgeable, trusted doctor helping you manage things. Ideally it would be an inpatient medical detox. Most people are unable to find the means to do something like that, so we try to provide folks with the information that makes it possible for them to more safely meet their needs wherever they find themselves, whatever the situation.

Your point is well taken though. Medications used to treat alcohol use disorder (Campral, baclofen, diazepam, Librium, Antabuse, naltrexone, etc) are no less serious than those used to treat opioid use disorder (methadone, buprenorphine, etc). Some of them can be particularly habit forming under the right conditions, but when used properly they provide the patient with the best chances of success in their early recovery.

After all, stability in early recovery is so crucial to longer term success. Medications like diazepam, Librium and baclofen - for individuals with severe ethanol use disorder - and methadone and buprenorphine - for individuals with severe opioid use disorder - can make early recovery much less stressful and chaotic for those detoxing and working to stabilize their mood without relying on their DOC.

It's like fire and the story of Prometheus. It's all how we use the resources at our disposal. The more resources we have, the better off everyone is :)

I agree that Benzos are necessary for those with serious alcohol withdrawals, especially withdrawals serious enough to cause Delerium Tremens, seizures, and death. They can save a persons life in those situations. But I strongly believe that they should only be used during the phase of strong physical withdrawals, which usually last no more than 10 days at the very most. There are very few cases of alcohol withdrawals that a person is in physical danger of life threatening symptoms, or many physical symptoms at all for that matter, after 10 days. Most all physical withdrawals from alcohol are over anywhere from 3-10 days, depending on the person, length and frequency of abuse, etc.

Benzos can also be very helpful in the short term for serious panic or anxiety attacks.

But I?m a firm believer that the dangers of benzo addiction, dependency, and withdrawal are extremely serious and therefore should never be taken for more than a couple weeks at a time at the very most. Benzo withdrawal can cause seizures and death too, and the withdrawals last for months. Not days. I experienced cold turkey Klonopin withdrawal after just 6 weeks of use (at the time I didn?t know the dangers of cold turkey benzo withdrawals) and it was the most traumatic and painful experience of my entire life. Gave me PTSD. I was bedridden for a month, didn?t sleep for more than a couple hours in 2 weeks, felt like I was loosing my mind and dying. 6 months later I was still having severe symptoms. So like I said, be very wary of benzos, especially if you have a history of chemical dependancy issues. Short term use (under 2 weeks) under close supervision of a Dr is IMO the only way they should be prescribed and used. They are extremely addicting, more than anything I?ve ever dealt with which is a lot, and cause physical dependancy very quickly. Even 2 weeks is risking physical dependancy. Best wishes to all. Be safe and careful. Love and peace.

I had seizures from opiate withdrawal. Just opiates. No benzos or alcohol.

I had an insane habit and tolerance. A gram and a half to two grams a day of IV heroin plus 300mg a day of prescribed morphine.

Just wanted to add this to make people aware that seizures can occur from opiates only.

Nutty hasn't been around in a while. I hope he's ok. You shouldn't try tapering with anything over 4-5%. I always used Bud Light, and you almost always will end up drinking more than you think you should be drinking. Someone who drinks over 20 std drinks a day should be starting around 16 beers on that first day. Please see http://hams.cc/taper on how tapering can be safely done.

I never understood benzo abuse. They just make me black out. Used therapeutically, they allow me to have a functional life. I've just made peace that I'm going to be on a low dose of Ativan for a long, long time, but is the risk worth the tradeoff? You bet your ass it is. At least right now. Because otherwise I'd be cowering beneath a blanket with all my shades and curtains drawn.

Last edited:
I had seizures from opiate withdrawal. Just opiates. No benzos or alcohol.

I had an insane habit and tolerance. A gram and a half to two grams a day of IV heroin plus 300mg a day of prescribed morphine.

Just wanted to add this to make people aware that seizures can occur from opiates only.

Yeah opiates being safe to withdrawal from is a myth. People die from opiate withdrawal sometimes if they don't get medical care when they should. Seems to happen in jail most often