• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Oxymorphone hell...slowly reclaiming my life

P0kemama

Bluelighter
8 days clean from all opiates. Withdrawals still rough, I will admit. Yesterday was a very bad day, but I survived. I came off an oxymorphone ER sniffing habit and could not taper very well, so did so for three weeks and then jumped off.

Feeling ill and shaky right now... I will update more later.

I have used opiates, this time around, for about three years. I get all my meds through my pain management doctor, and did not have any sources on the street, so could not add to my supply. I was able to work on taper after taper, some being documented here on BL, as long as I was prescribed IR oxycodone. Once I was told that I would have to add an extended release medication when I complained that 3 oxy's a day were not holding back the pain, I began to go down a slippery slope.
First I was prescribed morphine. I hated it. If only I would have stockpiled them as I did the first month, I would be ok today. Instead, as i ran short of oxycodone, I did take the morphine.
I told my doctor it upset my stomach, b/c I could not catch a buzz. I was then prescribed oxycontin, but insurance didn't cover it and it was way expensive.
So, I did some research, and saw my insurance covered oxymorphone, generic Opana. And it was easy to defeat the ER coating, I just had to crush it.
I had read that the oral bioavailability was only 10%, but sniffing it... well it raised it to 30-40%.
It was great! Finally, I had a drug that worked like oxycodone did in the beginning.
However, tolerance builds really fast, and then my doctor got shut down by the state licensing dept. I had to scramble to find another doctor... fast!
That marked the beginning of the end. I could not stand being home all the time so I could sniff. I was going into withdrawals, lightly, each month. Oxycodone no longer worked... I ruined my tolerance. So, I started a tapering thread on The Dark Side, and failed time after time.
As I practiced tapering, I did not realize I was building strength to eventually do a very rapid taper.
I cut my dose by 75% and went into full blown withdrawals, for nine days. I hung out at a 25% dose for several days, but it would not hold me very well at all. So, I jumped off 8 days ago. It was a rough week, but so worth it!
I have no urge to use at all, despite still being in withdrawal.
I am so done with opioids and will keep this journal to garner support and to remember to stay quit.

Last edited:
Really glad you started this thread, POke. I'll look forward to reading your updates.

Meanwhile, good vibes coming your way ))) ) )) ) ) ) ) )

Thanks, Sim... Awesome you are the first to post a response to me!!

Congrats. Life only gets better from here. I'm 9 months off the opanas and know the hell you've been going through. Remembering how bad I felt is one of the things that keeps me clean.

Day 9. Last night, I had the w/d symptom where I would fall asleep, then wake up sweating hot, and my heart racing. About 10 minutes later, it felt like icy water was running in my veins. Needless to say, I woke up exhausted. But I also was bored. So I drove about an hour to visit my daughter, the new grandbaby, and my almost 3 year old grandchild. I felt on top of the world! I stayed 2 hours, and ate a little something for lunch. I even held the baby and gave her a bottle. I could tell my daughter was disappointed. I think she believes I am just going to snap back to my regular self. I told her I might have some time where I am tired, as I begin to sleep more regularly and regain my strength. I know she really wants me to help her, but right now, that short trip down there was all I could do. I need to be able to not let this affect me. It is hard to stay positive through it all. But I will.

What are you doing to help yourself stay positive poke?

It sounds like you're putting an awful lot of pressure on yourself to perform up to certain expectations, which I know from experience can be a double edged blade. A natural thing to do, especially in your situation as a mother and grandmother, but I'm not sure it makes anything easier on you either.

You probably can guess that I firmly believe stress is public enemy #1 when detoxing or tapering. Other than setting some boundaries right now in terms of how much support you can provide your loved ones like your daughter, are there any other things you're doing to help manage stress right now?

TPD: Oh, Yes! I had my first appointment with one of the most respected addiction psychiatrists in my state ( I made the appointment for March last December). I am using a website called CBT-i, to manage insomnia, and some of the techniques work well on stress as well. I have some awesome guided imagery CD's...one is for managing stress and wellness, and of course I meditate. I also do my slow measured breathing when I feel overwhelmed, or anxious. I journal every day. Once I am a bit more stable physically, I will add walks of increasing intensity. I also have other techniques and info given to me by my shrink. So, I am good to go! Thank you for asking.

You certainly are kicking ass poke, kudos! Seriously, keep up the great work :)

You're doing just fine. It takes time. In a few weeks (weeks, not years lol) you'll be at your daughter's helping w those precious grandchildren and have energy and be closer to your old self. It took me 16 days to eat when I CT'd in jail I the 2nd time Other than small sips of iced tea and orange drink (that the Dr would give me ) forget it. And my energy was still no there.

You did ALL that!!! At 8 days. You are a boss.

I hate that w/d thing w sleeping - when you think you've been aslleep for hours-and it's really 10mins-and wake up sweaty, freezing and w a bad anxiety/panic attack. I also have bad dreams during those brief moments of passing out from sheer exhaustion.

You're closer to the finish line than the starting line now. The worst is over as w/d.

You really have done an amazing job. Its a process- it really is. Love ya POkemama <3

Oh I ordered red vein borneo zkratom-it should be here today. Have you tried Kratom?

And mama- stay busy. Try Kratom. Or whatever. Boredom and not having a good support system was my downfall.

Hi Sista! just found your thread and im happy to hear your still doing ok!. The accute stuff will start backing off soon hang in there!!!

Day 10! Today is starting out as a very good day! I spent some time last night tweaking my bedroom. My shrink had given me an app she wanted me to get that helps with insomnia. Well, first a person needs an iphone or droid to be able to get an app. I never would buy one because pain management was cash only, and I had to save my money for those daamn pills. So I have used the same burner phone for years. Now I will be getting an iphone in the near future. Thanks god for techie children to help navigate that purchase, lol. So, I can access some on the insomnia information online. I have been tweaking my bedroom to see what changes are positive in helping me get sleep. I have my own little sleep lab. So, last night was surprisingly good. I slept from 9-10:15am, 11:30pm-3:10am; 4:30am -6:44am, No wonder my head is clear and I am not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms today...yea!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience, 10Yrs... I sure have had many nights over the last month just as you described.. those panic attacks upon waking are the worst. I hope mine become fewer and fewer and farther apart now that I am feeling better.:)

10 years: I have a whole bunch of Kratom I ordered on line. However, after reading some threads about the addictive nature, I just said, Forget it. I would proably get hooked and need to do it for years. Or the taste would make me puke, lol. At least i have it for emergencies. I hope you find yours very helpful. I think we all hav to find our own best way through the fog. So, no judgin from me. I just know myself, and if I liked it.. enough said.

Hi TLD: I am hanging in, and things certainly turned a corner today! My head has cleared a lot, and other than waking one time last night in a panic, the rest of the night went well, and I have no w/d symptoms today!!
How are you? Is the Lyrica still working? Are you making any plans for when the job ends... any trips?? Keep me posted, brotha.