• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Oxymorphone hell...slowly reclaiming my life

Hi Sista!! im happy to hear your doing good now. I love reading you are inspiring people! really most of us are here for help then some stay to give help its humbling and heart warming.
Keep rocking sista so dam proud of you. TLD

Congrats Poke. Im hoping to get where you are someday. Still have a long way to go, but you give me hope.

Stillkickin, TLD, and Squeaks: Warms my heart to read your posts... made my day!! Even with over a 100 days clean, I still "work" on being mindful and finding alternate solutions to my problems. As I mentioned in an earlier post... hot weather is triggering my anxiety as it feels like withdrawal hot sweats, without the cold chills to balance things out, lol. However, I am trying to do the more active chores and activities when it is still cool or later in the evening, and then I am more sedentary when it is the hottest part of the day... 90's are coming this week-end, so I am praying my anxiety will be under control. However, I have no urge to use... having that nightmare of a physical withdrawal was a gift, after all.... I do not ever want to repeat that experience.
TLD: if you get a chance please PM re: your life now... employment, summer plans, etc. You are a good person, and I don't want to lose touch with you.
Squeaky: As you know, it took me many tries to get to this point.... years of trying to taper. My experience is: NEVER,NEVER give up and it will happen... I have the utmost faith that you will eventually get clean and stay clean. You have been suffering through mini withdrawals way too long now. Take care!

Oh wow POkemama over 100 days now !!! You are such a inspiration for me ...i am also glad you still are checking in and updating ...your a great rolemoldel for me ...

I am looking forward to my next part of my taper after reading your posts and am looking forward to the day i can say i am 100 days clean .... How is your pain levels are you able to contol body aches and pains with otc stuff my fear is pain will start and i wont be able to get it to stop ...

Ok gonna go for now .. hugs

Thanks Poke. I'm now in a position where lawyers and doctors are arguing over who's at fault for my first back surgeries and therefore who will pay IF I need another surgery. So it may be a while before I can really get away from this stuff for ever. My goal right now is to use less, and I am making progress.

I had quite a few "lightbulb" moments yesterday! I attended some continuing education trainings for my profession, and was presented with the latest research on methods used to help heal trauma... which underlies a lot of substance abuse, as most of us already know. Mindfulness and holistic methods seem to be the top methods, other than more medically or clinically supervised treatments, to help use learn to self soothe. Meditation, yoga, being in the present moment, observing without judgement, especially of of our own sensory processes, are proven to help us self sooth and re-regulate our systems. Lots more was presented, but just want to put it out there I am glad I did not underestimate the importance of my (almost) daily practices in helping me stay clean for over 3 and 1/2 months.

How do I deal with my chronic pain? In many ways... I find that the combination of caffeine and tylenol and nsaids is most effective with the lowest doses possible. I also try to walk everyday... I am in pain, use a walking a stick, but later in the day the pain usually is decreased, due to the muscles, ligaments, and joints having increased blood flow and oxygenation. I also meditate and practice mindfulness. I definitely notice if I am not engaged in anything, and just being "lazy" I begin to focus on my pain... and what I focus on... gets magnified. So my pain increases... being busy in a good way, not frantic business, definitely helps... a lot.

Squeaky: It sounds like you are doing the best you can... I think harm reduction is huge... happy to hear you are progressing!

Great post, poke. Thanks for telling us about what you learned.

I had quite a few "lightbulb" moments yesterday! I attended some continuing education trainings for my profession, and was presented with the latest research on methods used to help heal trauma... which underlies a lot of substance abuse, as most of us already know. Mindfulness and holistic methods seem to be the top methods, other than more medically or clinically supervised treatments, to help use learn to self soothe. Meditation, yoga, being in the present moment, observing without judgement, especially of of our own sensory processes, are proven to help us self sooth and re-regulate our systems. Lots more was presented, but just want to put it out there I am glad I did not underestimate the importance of my (almost) daily practices in helping me stay clean for over 3 and 1/2 months.

How do I deal with my chronic pain? In many ways... I find that the combination of caffeine and tylenol and nsaids is most effective with the lowest doses possible. I also try to walk everyday... I am in pain, use a walking a stick, but later in the day the pain usually is decreased, due to the muscles, ligaments, and joints having increased blood flow and oxygenation. I also meditate and practice mindfulness. I definitely notice if I am not engaged in anything, and just being "lazy" I begin to focus on my pain... and what I focus on... gets magnified. So my pain increases... being busy in a good way, not frantic business, definitely helps... a lot.

Squeaky: It sounds like you are doing the best you can... I think harm reduction is huge... happy to hear you are progressing!

What kind of meditation or mindfulness practices have you found helpful?

Glad your still rocking it POke. All going good here. No urge to use and anxiety is slowly getting better. Everyone else on here keep fighting. I know it's miserable. It will get better. 75 days for me.

b dog: 75 days is wonderful! So glad you continue to check in... I appreciate it!

TPD: The most effective way of meditating, for me, is to do the simple meditation practice based on following my breathe. I just label my thoughts as "passing cLouds" when they arise, notice them float by, and return to my breathe. I have taken classes at several locations, including our Shambala Center years ago, and it is like riding a bicycle... I did not forget how to do it. For me, the effect on racing thoughts, general anxiety symptoms, is profound, after I mediate for a little while. How are you doing? Well, I hope!

Hi Sim: Thanks for your kind words.

My summer is shaping up to be pretty great :) And that sounds like a great practice you have! I always find the most depth to the most basic, more elemental aspects of practice.

Hey TPD: Happy to hear that your summer is going well! It is hot here.... 99 degrees... I guess the parts of the West Coast are hot as well... stay cool.

Yup, it's gonna be a hot summer, but it isn't that bad yet. I don't think it's really gotten above 90 here. Crazy what it's like in AZ. 120 fucking degrees the breeze is so hot it hurts.

Btw I just want to mention that is has been a please and honor to get to see you progress in your journey P0ke. It's always such a joy so see someone find ways to manage all this crap even if it's just more or less. You're becoming more than less in this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are so kind, TPD... I appreciate your friendship as I journey through this life. :)

I just had the best job interview ever! I read about Sim's positive experience as well... how cool is that? It was so nice to look someone in the eye, and not worry that they would notice I take opiates... it is a thing of the past! I am confident I will get a job offer; however, the interview itself was so rewarding in that I felt I was so much myself... I wasn't doing that manipulative, people pleasing BS that became part of my personality while using. And, I am so happy to have over 4 months clean and sober.

That's fantastic, POke! Congrats on the successful interview and on the clean time.

Yeah, I also found my interview to be rewarding. So nice not to have to lie, dissemble, or otherwise hide one's actual self.

I'm super proud of your progress!

Not hiding is nice. I'm still not clean yet, but I recently had a visit to my company's Dr and told the truth about all of my prescriptions for the first time. A tremendous weight has been lifted not lying anymore about my medications.
Poke and Simco- I'm so happy for you guys.?

Squeaky... that is huge step! Being honest with your company doctor... much respect for doing that! You are moving towards being clean... it is a series of steps in the right direction... thank you so much for posting here and sharing your progress!!

LOL i know this all to well my friend. I mean look at my name for god sakes.

^I do see your name, lol.... thanks for stopping by... share more, if you like... I love to hear from fellow addicts.