• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Digestion, Methadone

Pledge

Greenlighter
I thought I would bring this question here where there are so many intelligent people.

I am on methadone. The struggles of this drug and crazy side effects are well known. For now Im stuck on it.. But I have to figure out how to have this drug not destroy me

The biggest problem is the digestion. I have gone from having a crazy fast metabolism my whole life. 6'4" and 175. Skinny... To now 250 pounds. I eat 1/2 as much as I ever did.. maybe less. I just keep gaining weight. It takes me forever to digest food now and I cant hardly burp. This just cant continue and I have to get in front of it somehow.

My hope is for someone that understands the nature of this drug and its effect on the digestive system. I was also on Suboxone for 4 years. That never gained a pound. Heroine didnt. Only this methadone. Why is this methadone so devastating to these systems? And does anyone have any suggestions to counteract this?

Thank you

yea this is a very common thing for ppl on mmt. I am constantly having stomach gi issues, I have that hardly can burp sensation too. I don't eat as much. im 5'9 165, at one point I was over 180lbs, now that ive lowered my dose it doesn't seem to have as much of an effect on everything. I have relatively normal dooks, no more emergency rushing to push a football out of my ass lol (sorry to be crude!)

the reason is you have opiate receptors in your gut and it slows down motility and constipates you, that's true of all opis but since meth has such a long half life it is worse. same for bupe, even tho its not a full agonist it still causes constipation.

if you cant stand to reduce your dose focus on diet. try more fiber and water. also, I get weird pains and one thing that has helped to sort everything out is drinking a little of that braggs cider vinegar. its unfiltered. yea I know drinking vinegar sounds gross but if you dilute it down and add lemon or something its totally drinkable. will help with digestion big time. also good yogurt or kefir with active cultures are good too. just don't over do it.

do you work out at all? light jogging or crunches will help get things moving.

good luck, I know how uncomfortable it is dealing with it.