• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos) Xannax advice

RamblinWreck

Greenlighter
Will taking low doses( .2-.5 mg) before class to control my anxiety inhibit my ability to learn and remember information in these classes? These doses have been really helping me out but I take rigorous engineering courses in college and I don't want to really start using xannax at even a low dose if it will noticeably affect my memory/information retention. Also, could it affect my focus/boredom at all?

I took half a bar today as well . It does relax me enough to learn still though . I sometimes lose minor things when on benzos but that's just part of it . I think memory loss is due to being a long time user of the drug.

I've never taken small doses before class, either half a bar or a whole one. This usually lead me to just falling asleep in class. Took it before a test once, good amount of blank questions but I didn't care. Got like a C- haha. I think the xanax would just make you lazy and not really care or worry about the class. Eventually the small doses won't work anymore because of tolerance too

I guess with low doses it MIGHT help. My experience is that xanax and other benzos give you a kind of false confidence while their effects on your focus and memory lead you to being more sloppy and not really working effectively. I lost a job that I had previously been ace at because of benzo dependence, I thought I was working fine but clearly I wasn't. No issues with benzos anymore thank heavens, out of all the drugs I have got in to deep wth benzos have to be one of if not THE worst. But if you can use sparingly with low doses and not fall into the trap of abuse, good for you, wish I had been able to. I don't think their is necessarily anything wrong with benzos in and off themselves, its just the effects they cause for people who end up abusing them are so nasty.

I can't entirely relate, though I can fully believe relaxing yourself would lead to positive effects in school and it's likely the doses you suggest are broadly in that range for you (hard to tell without BMI etc. but they aren't big). It sounds in many ways like appropriate "medical use," but xanax is one of the scarier ones and you'll almost certainly be better off getting on with it without xanax and if you can't having a conversation with your doc about it if you can (they should know on balance what's right .. and there should be better drugs than xanax for this).

I remember once taking 2mg after drinking and waking up having shat the bed. There was burned toast in there as well. Don't ask me what was going on but it definitely made sense to me at the time (it was all voluntary I'm sure).

Not to be overly dramatic about it, but I have a LOT of experience of most drug classes and I'm reasonably certain it's not a positive boon for your perspicacity to take benzos so use with great care if you intend to keep doing this. Don't dose escalate and keep your objective firmly in sight. When it slips .. stop.

Either way .. good luck. A few benzos won't hurt you in a pinch unless you are scarily sensitive .. but a lot will (e.g. everyday for a month).

Last edited:
Do you feel sleepy or lethargic? If so then I'd advise against it. Otherwise if your anxiety is severe enough where the medication does the job you should be ok.

I graduated with a software engineers degree , ive learned that yes all drugs ive taken throughout the years (weed,benzos,opiods,alcohol,methamphetamine) they all efect your brain in a way that makes you lose motivation unable to focus in classes and always forget things, the right balance i have finally been able to do through my studying years is to stop using all drugs in weekdays and only have 2 days in the weekend to do whatever the fuck i want, believe me this is the best balance for a student , some people will say i can do this and that in weekdays and get good grades well , they can do it but why should i suffer whoever says he can balance studying and drugs daily is suffering with lack of motivation and focus so what do you chose the easy way or the hard way ? , so as i mentioned above the secret is to use 2 days only on weekends it will become a habbit beleive me i never thought in my life i can stop my everyday usage routine but its all in your mind

You can use otc herbal medicenes for your anxiety they work realy well (valerian,stjhons worth , passiflora,5htp)

IME benzos (especially xanax) makes me feel great,even at low doses (1-1.5mg /day splitted in 3 or 4 times), i feel more comfortable with myself and other people, talkative but.... affect your short term memory. For myself, its absolutly a no-no use benzos and study, especially engeneering or math stuff. This happen even more with lyrica (I guess i lose like 20-30 IQ points when im on it). Try not to upper the dosage and dont took it for more than 2 weeks, you're gonna develop tolerance very quickly and tolerance is the little brother of dependance, they go hand-to-hand.

9 weeks ago I had surgery which caused anxiety. I already had a big supply of xanax on hand so I just went ahead and took .5-1mg every day for 9 weeks. Today is day 3 of quitting. I knew I was in for a treat when it was time to stop. I had no idea it was this bad. I can handle the anxiety. Anxiety is fuel. I can channel that. It's the hallucinations and tremors and coordination issues that caught me off guard.

Here is a list of my symptoms.

Of course anxiety.
Trembling hands
Legs feel weird when I walk like I'm not in control entirely.
Insomnia
Migraine headache.
Hallucinations. Not seeing little green men, but things I see in my periferal vision which normally do not cause alarm, they now cause alarm. My brain is like' "what was that to the right". So I look and it's just normal stuff. But I have to look and make sure.
Also auditory hallucinations. I think I hear people talking but investigate and find out it was no one.
Serious memory issues.
Cannot perform simple tasks because once I decide that I need to go brush my teeth(or whatever) one second later I change my mind and decide to go wash dishes. I took off work today because there is no way I could work like this. I called in sick today(Friday) and this is Memorial Day weekend and since Monday is paid holiday, I get to use my four day weekend to hopefully pull it together in time for Tuesday. I've never mentioned xanax to people at work because it's not a big deal UNTIL YOU TRY AND QUIT. After this experience, I'm never taking benzos again. It's not worth it. But if I'm still like this on Tuesday I'll just have to tell the truth.

Xanax is dangerous because it causes memory issues. If you can't remember if you took xanax sometimes you take more after already taking it. I probably sound like a bar tard right now and I am.

Xanax is for emergency panic attacks. Emergency panic attacks happen seldom. Not everyday. I learned the hard way.

At week 6 of the 9 total, I noticed at lunch time I was experiencing benzo withdrawal from the last nights dose. That's when I knew I was in deep.

^ That is a great description of the type of withdrawal this class of drugs can cause. Agreed, the memory problems are concerning. I am surprised at how quick dependence and withdrawal occur. But that post is a great warning. I never took enough for dependence but I could feel it in that post! Whew. And yeah, don't use benzo's for studying. I used occasional Ritalin when I was learning how to code and worked on all night projects. :D

There is no high with benzo's for me, so I rarely take any except for sleep and i just use cannabis for that.

I am not sure what I am doing in this thread. lol Carry on.

Ive never noticed that dose to do much for me (hah) let alone effect my ability to retain information. Just be careful once you start upping the doses tho.
You may be without anxiety during the course but you'll find yourself waking up and remembering nothing.

Small doses taking sparingly will be okay.. I was perscribed alp the whole time I was in college and it was largely beneficial. I took .5mg usually once a day, and timed it so the effects would be lasting while I was on campus. I usually did not redose, as I was trying to make my supply last. I knew that if I was requesting refils before I should be I wouldn't have a scipt to get refilled!! That being said, its already been mentioned not to up your dose or start redosing through the day, I can tell you alp withdrawal is one of the worst.

What was not beneficial was all the pot and drinking.. and long nights without sleep.

At one time long ago I started taking Xanax. I started low and gradually began to work up because the lower doses did not work anymore. Finally ended up at 8mg a day. Wow. The physician at the time had to work me off over a 6 month period. I was at least I think abusing them. If you can take a temporary low dose for a specific situation and control it and that coupled with your physician it might be ok.

I have quite a lot of experience with benzos. I think they have to be used on a very limited basis. The USA seems to dish them out like candy. (Bars??) I'm 26 and have quite serve PTS from seeing and be subjected to extreme violence in my early teens. I think the main issue is tolerance with most people. 0.5mg of Xanax for a newbie is fine and I have never had issues with memory at that dose, if anything I felt more functional due to feeling carmer. But take it daily for 3-6 months. Will make it ineffective and you will start to climbing the ladder, which means you body is already depend. If you abuse them daily, you can easily get up to 4mg and above in that time period. I made the mistake of going cold turkey from 6-8mg a day. After 36hr of no sleep and extreme agitation and was on the edge of a seizure, had to ring my mum to take me to hospital. It really is one of the worst drugs to withdrawal from. The doc gave me Anti-seizure medication, sleeping tablets and diazepam (valium) 10mg then 5mg for a week. Still felt like I was literally dying!! But after 10/14 days of hell on earth I recovered. So just to stress you must! Use Valium to come off Xanax if you're taking a high dose, even a small dose I would recommend it. So my own opinion is to use Xanax for things you find very stressful. Every day use will not solve your problems, it's recognised world over not to use long term. Good luck. If anybody reads this and is in withdrawal, I'm with you and try and hold on to the fact that you will feel better soon. Also I believe cold turkey can damage your brain and makes the healing process longer. Feel free to message me, I have gone through withdrawal more than once..

Last edited:
Will taking low doses( .2-.5 mg) before class to control my anxiety inhibit my ability to learn and remember information in these classes? These doses have been really helping me out but I take rigorous engineering courses in college and I don't want to really start using xannax at even a low dose if it will noticeably affect my memory/information retention. Also, could it affect my focus/boredom at all?

Yes. All benzos affect the memory after consistent use, but xanax is one of the shorter acting ones so you're better off going with that than say klonopin. when I was scripted that shit I couldn't remember what I was writing in a sentence, would drop words, punctuation. Any benzo is bound to affect your memory if used tor long enough

Well when i was a young buck. Dad was always abuzing the snooze tabs and it really didnt impede him from class but he did fuck mom in the sheds out front home depot

Starson I am hoping you can give me some advice., I'm new to this and not sure how it works. I have been taking .25 xanax for about a month or two at night for my anxiety. I haven't taken it consistently, like everyday. I took it 2-3 nights in a row and then 1-2 days off sometimes more. I haven't taken it in 3 days and I feel totally off like I can't put my finger on it. I feel like something is missing which causes my anxiety to flare and this morning my body has ached slightly. Do you think this is WD? And if so, when can I expect relief? I've been through opiate WD but the research I've done on Xanax WD has scared the living hell out of me.