Mental Health Could an entheogen, especially DMT help me?

mortuaryscience

Greenlighter
I have problems. I am middle aged, with a college degree, and have gone no where in life. I have suffered from chronic pain that has kept me from working for a long time. I don't use drugs, alcohol, refined sugar, etc. EXCEPT an SSRI. I have been addicted to the SSRI for many years. It has never helped me, but has given me problems, especially after an interaction I had during a "cold turkey" cessation of the drug. I currently have burning pain, jerky muscle movement, sexual problems, cognitive problems, etc. I feel that my mindset has something to do with these problems.

Furthermore, I've come to the recent realization that all of my problems, with the possible exception of the SSRI issues stem from a deep sadness that's been with me since early childhood as a result of a profound loss. Because of the SSRI, I haven't cried in years. I am emotionally numb, except for fear and negativity. I have heard of others coming to terms with this sort of sadness with DMT. I would, of course, wait until I'm off of the SSRI before trying this.

I'm worried about an interaction, though. My brain is deranged as a result of the SSRI. I would like a healing experience, but I wouldn't want to destabilize my brain further. In some ways, I feel like I have nothing to lose. I feel my brain won't stabilize for years, if ever. I need some advice. Thank you very much.

No DMT would not help you, and neither would other psychedelic drugs. Which SSRI are you on? Talk to your doctor that prescribes you the SSRI about what you are experiencing, and if you want to stop taking it talk to your doctor that prescribes it to you, and stop taking it under their supervision.

Last edited:
Yeah, SSRI's, while very helpful to some, are generally pretty shit drugs.

Please note that everything I am saying is from my own research and experience.

SSRI's do not fix or heal anything. People often think that they will magically cure someones depression, anxiety, OCD, or whatever they are suffering from. The fact is, they don't. They just decrease or mute the effects those disorders have on you. SSRI's are effective in combination with psychotherapy by helping people not feel like shit thus letting them make changes in their life and/or behavior that will lower, heal, or fix their disorder while at the same time allowing them to find the root of their disorder with their psychatrist.

(Warning: very controversial information ahead)

As for your issue; I am a very very strong believer in psychedelics. I've seen it done wonders for many people with mental disorders, including myself and my girlfriend. She was first placed on SSRI's and Benzos (Xanax to be exact) around 2 years ago due to having the highest stage of depression and anxiety attacks so strong that she would shake very violently and pass out. She's also been in therapy for that time as well. This has barely done anything for her. She cured herself with 4 mushroom and 1 LSD trip over the course of 4-5 months. She has not had any anxiety attacks or depression since. She's also not on SSRI's or Benzos anymore.

I also believe that psychedelics have the power to do physical healing. I am currently suffering from a very severe lower back injury that occured from an incident 3 months ago. After a 500ug LSD trip 2 weeks ago, my back has improved tremendously. After the next morning of my trip, I was able to bend over and walk properly again. I do not know what kind of physical pain you suffer from, but I've heard many things about Shamans being able to heal physical damage using brews that contain the substance you mentioned; DMT. You may want to look into that. However, if this is at all possible, you will more than likely not be able to do it yourself so I advice you seek a shamans help.

If you are suffering from depression, not having motivation, or something similar; I advice giving microdosing LSD or Psilocybin, exercise, and meditation a try. Trust me, it helps a lot and if you stick to it, will help you fix your life. Another tip I can give you is to make a list of all your "bad habits" and turning them into good habits.

E.g:
Eating too much and gaining weight -> Eat less and lose weight
Going to bed too late and therefore not getting enough sleep -> Go to bed on time
Not going outside -> Go for a walk
Not socializing -> Socialize, even if it's just online

A collection of bad habits WILL lead to a miserable and depressed life. You can fix that by turning them into good habits.

Some more tips:
You cannot have a healthy body without a healthy mind; and you cannot have a healthy mind without a healthy body (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_sana_in_corpore_sano)
Learn about how your psyche and body works. If you get an understanding of it, you will be able to more easily fix your issues.

Good luck!