• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Switching from methadone to suboxone - 48 hours enough?

catching fish

Bluelighter
If someone was switching from 35 mg methadone to suboxone, will they experience precipitated w/d if they wait only 48 hours?

It's really hard to say. I was on 80 mg and still got pw after 3 days. I know you don't want to hear this but wait until you are in full blown withdraw agony before taking it. For me personally my eyes are the key, if they are as big as dinner plates I'm good to go. If they are pinned at all, wait.

So I rolled the dice and went to the clinic (48 hours since my last methadone dose). I was feeling a bit shit but wasn't in full blown w/d. I was worried about precipitated w/d but decided to dose anyway.

I took 2mg and didn't feel any different. Around 45 min I felt a lot of relief.

Then 1.5 hours after my initial dose of 2mg they gave me another 4 mg and I feel absolutely fine right now. Just went for a swim and going to see my girlfriend shortly. Couldn't do either of those two in w/d ever.

So that's my personal experience.

That is great news precip withdraw is hell. I got it so bad I almost went to the ER because i thought I ripped my stomach from puking and dry heaving. You did it the right way, going down to a low dose of MD. I was impatient an jumped off at eighty, I thought three days was enough but I was on 140 mg for 4 years. I tested positive for methadone a full month after my last dose. I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

How much methadone were you on?

I've just come from the other direction. I moved from suboxone to methadone (long story) and i have to say that its been hard. I had my last 8mg of suboxone 4 days before I moved to the methadone. In between that i was using heroin and endone (to stave off withdrawals and not be sick) so when i moved to the methadone I had my last heron 24 hours prior, and my last endone (100mg) at least 14 hours prior.

Still had a few good waves of withdrawals, last anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes recurring at least 10 times over the 2nd day of my methadone dosing. But this morning I've been ok. Barely any problems since my dose at 6 AM just my nasal passages feel constrained and i feel sick (could be due to another issue though so i'm not ready yet to blame the methadone).

To be frank I couldn't do another suboxone induction. My last one was hell. After 3 months of using I ended up trying to cut over to suboxone. I waited 24 hours exact after using 300mg of heroin (street cut so probably way less). I was in insane amounts of agony and when I dosed 8mg of suboxone which only get a ton worse when i had the suboxone. It took a good 12-18 hours to come out of that hellish withdrawals (another 3 days to full recovery). I feel like i have PTSD from that induction. This was ontop of 300-450mg of lyrica which if anything execbated the fuck out of the symptoms and made them a ton worse.

The only thing that gave me an semblance of relief was having a shower. I basically flooded my house that night when i passed out in the shower.

That said I find suboxone to be ok once your on it though the weight gain was annoying.

Last edited:
That is great news precip withdraw is hell. I got it so bad I almost went to the ER because i thought I ripped my stomach from puking and dry heaving. You did it the right way, going down to a low dose of MD. I was impatient an jumped off at eighty, I thought three days was enough but I was on 140 mg for 4 years. I tested positive for methadone a full month after my last dose. I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

Wow, kinda off topic, but methadone showed up for a month? I had a blood drug test that showed up methadone 5 weeks after I finished up on 1mg. The doctor tells me that the State Government drug charter says it only stays around for 3 days so I must be drinking illegal takeaways lol. I requested another test. I don't really think some doctors know what the hell they're on about with the done, it's just like "in&out 80 patients a day give me my Medicare consult fees"

Wow, kinda off topic, but methadone showed up for a month? I had a blood drug test that showed up methadone 5 weeks after I finished up on 1mg. The doctor tells me that the State Government drug charter says it only stays around for 3 days so I must be drinking illegal takeaways lol. I requested another test. I don't really think some doctors know what the hell they're on about with the done, it's just like "in&out 80 patients a day give me my Medicare consult fees"

Methadone is metablised via the liver and is in fact stored in fatty liver tissue. It takes 2-3 days to build up the levels of methadone in the liver which is why methadone inductions take longer to kick in and work. I've read some clinics advise their customers to continue using heroin/opiates until they've had at least 3-5 days of dosing.

Its also why they are very cautious when inducting people onto methadone because of that liver storing thing, its very easy to give the individual too much in the first couple of days, and it not impact them until 4th or 5th day resulting in an overdose and death.

Lilyeye, not sure physically if you have any excess weight but if you did then losing it may help your body utilise the fatty tissue in the liver for energy and therefore flush out any remaining methadone stored in it.

Regarding the test you'd need to find out how sensitive it is. 1mg is a ridiculously small amount and if the test was showing that amount or less then you could argue that its simply showing the residual amounts of methadone in your fatty tissue.

Can I ask you how long did you taper on 1mg and when you finally stopped how was it? Did you feel sick, how did you deal with the sickness and how long did it last for?

Start small like SMALL 1 mg or less ( strips are easier to measure out) and go from there

I've just come from the other direction. I moved from suboxone to methadone (long story) and i have to say that its been hard.

Curious why the switch man? Glad to hear you've come through the transition phase okay!

A.

Switching to suboxone IMHO is really unpredictable, I've done it multiple times from both smack and methadone and I've had times where it was relatively smooth and I've had times where even when I've waiting 5 days since having smack, put me into PW. I find it is just really unpredictable. But when it doesn't go well, it's a nightmare.