• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

opioids

markosheehan

Bluelighter
what is the most physically safe opioid.? also if they are so safe why do you hear so many deaths from them?

Any non serotonergic opioid I would imagine ie morphine, hydromorphone. It's more a matter of potency. Opiates (naturally occurring) are not neurotoxic and in theory are not harmful in moderate amounts.
The risk is respiratory depression. The increase in deaths as of late is in part due to extensive cutting of heroin with fentanyl analogues and other agents that increase respiratory depression and sedation, leading to overdose. At least this is anecdotally reported often and apparently an epidemic on the west coast of the US.

the media has also jumped on the anti opioid band wagon so the propaganda is seemingly everywhere now...

I think morphine because it goes through the least organs to get to you brain if that makes sense. I mean all the others are either metabolised into morphine like codeine/hydrocodone or do weird stuff that require your liver to get busy making enzymes and metabolites, which makes your liver do extra work and can lead to liver problems. Then the excretion of the metabolites goes through your kidneys. I always always always get really bad lower back pain that wakes me up at night and forces me to take a painful piss when I take any opiate because of having to get rid of metabolites. Anyway after that disgusting analogy I hope you can see my point

Most synthetic/semi-synthetic opiates require some amount of extra work before getting into your blood but morphine just get's straight to it

Morphine, the "gold standard" as they say, its used to gauge the potency of other opiates even. If were talking pharma grade morphine ive read its basically non-toxic to the body, risks comes w breathing problems and of course swift physical addiction