Do intensive exercise instead of moderately intensive exercise and live longer

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
An interesting article from our friends at Erg-log confirming what CFC has been stating for sometime:

Do intensive exercise instead of moderately intensive exercise and live longer

If you replace half an hour of sitting with half an hour of physical activity every day you'll live longer. Replacing half an hour of light physical activity with intensive activity has the same effect, German researchers wrote in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

Study
Epidemiologists at the university of Regensburg in Germany used data that had been gathered in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey in the United States. The data covered 3702 men and women aged 50-85.
The participants had worn an accelerometer for a short period during the study which recorded the pattern of exercise and movement the subjects had. The participants were followed for roughly six years.
The researchers were able to calculate what happens if you replace half and hour of sitting with exercise. Or replacing half an hour of light physical exercise with something more intensive.
The researchers adjusted the results for the effects of bodyweight, age, sex, income, dietary pattern, illness, and unhealthy habits such as smoking.

Results
Replacing half an hour of sitting with half an hour of light physical exercise reduced total mortality risk and the mortality risk due to cardiovascular disease by several percentage points. Light physical activity includes activities that have no noticeable effect on your breathing.

That's positive of course. But replacing half an hour of sitting daily with half an hour of intensive exercise had even more effect. It halved the total mortality risk, and reduced the chance of death due to cardiovascular disease by two-thirds.
It's also worth replacing half an hour of light physical activity with more intensive forms of physical activity. That had almost as much effect on mortality as replacing sitting with intensive body exercise.

Conclusion
"Our results indicate that replacing 30 min of sedentary time with an equal amount of light or moderate to vigorous activity is associated with an intensity-graded reduced risk of mortality from any cause and mortality from cardiovascular disease", the researchers summarized.
"Moreover, an inverse association with mortality from any cause was identified for reallocating light activity to moderate to vigorous activity. Our observations suggest that mortality benefit may depend on the activity behaviors with which sedentary behavior is replaced."

Read the article here:

http://ergo-log.com/do-intensive-ex...ately-intensive-exercise-and-live-longer.html

Or the full paper here:

http://dx.doi.org.sci-hub.bz/10.1249/MSS.0000000000000913

And better yet, you can spend much less time doing intense exercise (just a few minutes even) and still reap greater rewards than moderate intensity exercise, except perhaps for the joints (which do like a fair bit of moderate jogging).

I absolutely love training high intensity, high frequency, low volume. I know it's completely anecdotal, but it just turns me on mentally in a way that standard exercise routines do not.

I always train intensely, as long as I don't have anything hindering me such as an injury.

I noticed the most growth when I started lifting with more contraction focus and a good amount of weight with moderate reps. I go to failure a lot.

I do have my hypertrophy/pump days, but even those days I will incorporate one intense heavy set or two.

I noticed the most growth when I started lifting with more contraction focus

Same here. When I started spending time thinking and feeling the muscle being worked - rather than just 'lifting' - things changed fast.

Smoking weed before lifting really helps me with the mind-muscle connection. Granted high intensity PL stuff is absolutely horrifying while stoned, but if I am just going in for accessory/hypertrophy work, I may have a smoke beforehand. Or smoke in the parking lot mid-workout. This is especially the case with my back...it took me a while before I really learned how to contract various muscles of the back while minimizing shoulders/momentum, but once I did my back hypertrophy took off.

going through these old threads sorry ya'll lmao

interesting to see others enjoying high intensity work with a focus on cultivating the mind body connection during exercise. currently exploring this with my cardio training for triathlon so we'll see how it translates