• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Oral Health

starting_over

Bluelighter
Folks,

I can't emphasize how important it is to keep good care of your gums and teeth. Certain drugs can lead to dry mouth, teeth grinding, etc... leading to cavities, root canals, possible extractions...... even dentures if it gets really bad.

I've spent more money out of pocket on my teeth (even more than drugs!) due to years of neglect.

Dental work is expensive, especially when paid out of pocket.

In Canada, a filling is approximately $250 CAD. Root canals are easily $1000 - 1800, depending on the number of roots (molars have more)... price goes up when visiting an endodontist.

Crowns? $1k plus

Extractions are cheaper but don't let it get to that point.

Implants? Pony up thousands

Grind or clench your teeth at night? This can lead to gum recession, so get a custom fitted night guard. I had an improperly fitted boil-and-bite one and gave myself TMD since I was clenching so hard at night. I literally heard my jaw make a "pop" sound that woke me up at 3am. I still have occasional jaw and ear pain to this day, plus my jaw will noticeably move side to side when opening and closing.

Nothing is as good as your natural teeth. Keep them healthy!!! Brush and floss twice a day, every day. Biotene mouthwash is good for those with chronic dry mouth due to ongoing drug use or Sjogren's

So true, I really wish my teeth were something I gave more care for rather than taking for granted!
I'll take your advice about the boil & bite... I just got told I seriously need a splint but can only afford a boil n bite mouth guard... sounds like trouble...