Your favourite Nirvana Song

Yep through Nirvana my musical tastes expanded a helluva lot, exposed me to so many great bands.

He did such a service to many an unheard of band, but then the industry gave us Nickleback, Creed, Silverchair, Puddle of Mudd and every other watered down rip off in exchange...to the point where people just see 'Grunge' as this miserable era of music, when it was such a well needed burst of energy IMO (see '1991 The Year Punk Broke').

His 'top 50 albums' list is a good starting point.

No mention of the holy modal rounders though :D guess he missed a spot.

honestly it took me until maybe last year to even attempt to understand what nirvana was about, but once I got it, I got it. I'm relieved
that I gave myself space because I would be really sad if I hated Nirvana.

Frances is probably my favorite song besides the cover of In the Pines from MTV unplugged or whatever...but I don't think that counts as a cover.

My best friend put a nirvana song I loved on a mixtape 10 years ago but both his suggestions as to what it could be are not what I remember.

radio friendly unit shifter ----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7B-AlKTdGQ

Tis a great song Kenickie :) Also nice to see you around!

Have you heard Jay Reatard's cover of it?

Sadly another artist who died young - I love his rendition of the middle 8 / bridge on this cover though, very few people manage to ever cover their songs gracefully!

And yep - RFUS has some great polychorus action going on.

All Apologies.

Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold the World is immense. The Unlugged session is a feat of musical brillance. To be in the audience for that session must have being special.

video=youtube;bZgtMchcOy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZgtMchcOy0[/video]

honestly it took me until maybe last year to even attempt to understand what nirvana was about, but once I got it, I got it. I'm relieved
that I gave myself space because I would be really sad if I hated Nirvana.

*There there* It could be worse - you could have been touting for 'La La land'. ;)

I had no interest in Nirvana(despite liking the sound of their over-played tunes during the 90's) The ubiquitous Nirvana trend put me right off( I was a hipster unknown-st to myself, apparently *vomit* ;) )

It was after the mania/hype I got to read about them - what they were about - normal, lost, relatable - seriously talented and creative. The cult of Kurt was sickening in the 90's - saccharine tribal adoration; Like queues for bargains on Black-Friday.

Last edited:
One of the things i love the most about Cobain's legacy are the little obscure groups he helped champion.
The Vaselines, Shonen Knife, Daniel Johnston - among dozens of other bands got a big boost when he wore their shirts in famous press and promo photos, and talked them up in interviews.

Agreed. :)

Aneurysm has always been my favorite.

I always thought the verse and chorus were so Beatles-esque compared to the dissonant noise build up /break downs in the rest of that song.

I mean 'come on over and do the twist' is such a great line :D

re: Asclepius & Stay Away :

Nirvana trivia - song was originally called 'Pay to Play' aimed at their disdain of venues that required them to place a deposit before allowing them to perform, lest the venue don't recoup their losses in ticket sales /drinks etc/ a practice that still goes on to this day and that I despise.

Here's an original demo:

and to those who mentioned Drain You, here's the first recording of it known to have surfaced (with Dale Crover from the Melvins on drums!), includes primitive guitar solo instead of the Sonic Youth style breakdown on the album:

any other rarities / trivia, feel free to ask :p

Hmmm...it's so hard to pick just one Nirvana song to be my favorite. I love so many of them...however, I would have to say that Even In His Youth is my most played track.

^that's a good one for people learning how to play guitar :)

Trivia: Cobain once titled it 'Eustacian tube turrets' in his Journals.

I always thought the verse and chorus were so Beatles-esque compared to the dissonant noise build up /break downs in the rest of that song.

I mean 'come on over and do the twist' is such a great line :D

re: Asclepius & Stay Away :

Here's an original demo:

Bella Figura: I get the impression that his lyrics. 'come on over and do the twist' were a nod to his feelings and thoughts about him being the child of an unplanned pregnancy...that he was just a mistake borne from a sexual urge; he was a quickie, borne from an impassioned couple ...easily in the throes of 60's fever and not thinking of the consequences of the child they would have. A sarcastic nod to the sexual impulsivity, of his parents - that he seemed to be haunted or embittered by this his whole life - the fact he was unwanted/maybe a financial burden/social shame on his mother - maybe he picked-up on her insecurities around his birth/conception. Pennyroyal Tea alludes to abortion and he was obsessed with fetuses, felt victimised, unwanted etc. etc.. All very awful for the man. :/

He makes some wise points, within his subtext. He always felt rejected and obsessed about childbirth and abortion - this, as far as I can discern appeared to be the floating, haunting discourse that surrounded the nature of his existence.

Anyhoo.
This is pretty special IMO.

Last edited:
'I mean 'come on over and do the twist' is such a great line :D'

Sorry 'splain to me your perspective...lest I feel full-on 'retard'?

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. A hardcore punk with the touch only Kurt could have thought and arranged with all that distortion which is part of the song hence the need for Pat Smear on second guitar (I don't like Pat Smear because he won't talk to Tom Grant after the one time he was likely sent by Courtney to verify where he was in his personal investigation some months after breaking the contract he had with Courtney, which at the time Grant was surprised she didn't call him to yell obscenities to. But when Pat Smear went to see Grant at his office, he stayed 3 hours, which is pretty long and left in full tears (substantiated by 3 people). He knows something....

I would say D-7 (especially the Reading 1992 Festival, but it is a cover of the punk band (kinda proto-grunge) The Wipers, but their version live is so energetic and Kurt's screams when the song picks up speed are fucking orgasms in my ears.