• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Please help......Benzos/anxiety

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
I know there are hundreds of threads about anxiety and benzos but really need some help here please!

I have been on Klonopin 1mg daily for 7 years and Diazepam 10mg for 17 years daily, both prescribed for anxiety. Over the past 2 years I have got from 1mg to 0.125mg of Klonopin but still sticking with my current dose of 10mg of Diazepam a day.

The other day my son had an accident and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. The hospital is 8 miles away from me and I could not make it as I am almost housebound due to this anxiety. I feel terrible, my son was in hospital asking for me and I could not be with him.

If I increase the dose of Diazepam my anxiety gets a lot worse (I know, strange huh, one of the few that gets paradoxical effects off it) and I cant raise my Klonopin as I dont have many left and my Dr wont prescribe anymore.

How can I get over this anxiety.....I am now willing to do/try anything to help me.

Thanks greatly for any help/replies.

17 YEARS what. Idk where you live but atleast in america I believe it is not recommended that benzos are used for long term treatment because they are of questionable effectiveness vs placebo used daily for more than weeks. Do you have health insurance there are tons of medications for anxiety that take a few weeks to work but if you got 17 years of anxiety and benzos working less and less its much better imo the gradual improvement that are sustainable.

Have you tried ssris? Seritonin has been implicated in anxiety disordern the benefits of ifthey help they dowdownregulate 5 ht2a and 2c which in rats increases there exploration of a unfamiliar maze instead of choosing to stay and just not loook for any cheese which sounds like u you dont wanna stay home but ylu dont know what could be out there so u choose to just stay.
I had a bad doctor loaded me up on xanax and they stopped working

have you tried therapy....specifically cbt? your op only describe your med situation and not the whole picture. Excercise also helps immensely. Im not bullshitting either, i have moderate panic disorder ( very much under control now WITHOUT the use of meds...was taking 2mg klonopin when first diagnosed as needed for panic attacks but once they stopped so did the need for meds ) and these things help immensely. It will always be there but its more than tolerable and hardly noticed.

17 YEARS what. Idk where you live but atleast in america I believe it is not recommended that benzos are used for long term treatment because they are of questionable effectiveness vs placebo used daily for more than weeks. Do you have health insurance there are tons of medications for anxiety that take a few weeks to work but if you got 17 years of anxiety and benzos working less and less its much better imo the gradual improvement that are sustainable.

Have you tried ssris? Seritonin has been implicated in anxiety disordern the benefits of ifthey help they dowdownregulate 5 ht2a and 2c which in rats increases there exploration of a unfamiliar maze instead of choosing to stay and just not loook for any cheese which sounds like u you dont wanna stay home but ylu dont know what could be out there so u choose to just stay.
I had a bad doctor loaded me up on xanax and they stopped working

Yes NOW we know benzos shouldnt be used long term in most cases. But 17 years ago us in America were handing them out left and right. & alot of people have Just stayed on there medication for whatever reason instead of choosing to do a taper. But hey i say if it's working for you then do what you need to do

Thanks for the replies!

I live in the UK. I have tried CBT and Psychotherapy over the years with no great success. When I first started Klonopin it really helped but I am almost sure that long term use of it has made me worse anxiety wise?

Exercise is really hard as I cant leave my home..... I suppose I could buy say a exercise bike and put it in my living room.

Forgot to say.....I am on Celexa 40mg a day, been on this 17 years. They tried me on Amitriptyline (Elavil) for a time and it seemed to help.........But side effects were not good as in it made me aggressive.

This is gunna sound kinda stupid but you could just walk around your house. When I go to the gym I mostly walk anyway I went to a doctor in highschool for a panic disorder and he put me on Xanax long term for years. IMO if he only had a few people on benzos long term because it benefited them that be one thing. But as far I could tell based on hearing people talk in the waiting room he had almost everyone I heard talk about their meds be on Xanax. And he told me that "Xanax is not addictive it's a conspiracy by big pharna"

A great doctor IMO is someone who can individualize the exceptions instead of just giving everyone the same generic thing

But a horrible doctor is just prescribing drugs in a way across all there patients in a way that is in no where near matching what current research says.

Some people might benefit from Xanax long term but if all of your Patients are on Xanax long term your a horrible because medicine is supposed to be based on science not just doing your own thing for every single case. Sure it might of been acceptable 17 years ago but I think if you want to play doctor and make hundred plus thousand a year and have that status in society being 17 years behind is unacceptable you litterly have peoples life's In your hands

This is for all benzo users, information we all should have had years ago. I have been on 30/mgs of diazepam for 44 years.
I don't have the link, its not tough to find. For the information of a lifetime look up " the Ashton manual "
Awesome material for benzodiazepines!

You've been taking diazepam for over twice the years Ive been alive. Wow is it still helping?

This is for all benzo users, information we all should have had years ago. I have been on 30/mgs of diazepam for 44 years.
I don't have the link, its not tough to find. For the information of a lifetime look up " the Ashton manual "
Awesome material for benzodiazepines!
WTF? I've been taking it for over 4 years and consider that a very long time to be on any benzo. Does your physician just doll them out readily? Do you still find effective after close to half a century? Fuck.

Great and helpful replies, thanks everyone!

Is it ok to take an amino-acid called l-theanine whilst on benzos as read its meant to help with anxiety? Also, may sound a bit strange but would a good diet of fruit veg and good meats help anxiety, reason I ask is my diet is not the best and I seem addicted to chocolate =D

Yes to both, Mighty-oak. Diet is one of the biggest factors in mental health as well as physical. Stick to fruits and vegetables as much as you can, grains excluded (not saying don't eat them, but nutritionally they aren't worth a damn, they're empty), and meats as little as possible. Chocolate, as long as it's dark, isn't actually that bad for you as long as it's not loaded with sugars.

L-Theanine is fine.

Yes NOW we know benzos shouldnt be used long term in most cases. But 17 years ago us in America were handing them out left and right. & alot of people have Just stayed on there medication for whatever reason instead of choosing to do a taper. But hey i say if it's working for you then do what you need to do

qtf in many cases.

Yeah for some of us Benzos are the only thing that helps. Or I could stay liquored up/drunk all day which I choose not to. To answer your question, I doubt that 10mg of Valium is doing a whole lot for your after so many years. The only way to get it working again is to take a hiatus from it. It may do you good.

My Doc tells me, "the only way to get it to work better is to take less of it." It's a very hateful truth. I would just stay on the 0.125mg of Klonopins. You might as well be taking nothing at all really.

You are still disabled with the anxiety despite the meds. Since your doc will not up the dose, you should really consider my advice. Alternately you could request that your doc change your meds. I think Ativan, which is not as mild as either of your meds may help more. The only thing that really helps my panic attacks is Ativan or Xanax. I do not recommend the xannies; they are so addictive and the anxiety rebound effect is unbearable to me. Lastly, it may be good if your doc will give you a FEW ativans or xanaxes just to keep for emergencies. A lot of people do that.

I'm no doc, of course, but it doesn't sound like you are taking enough meds to help you out. I'm taking 6mg of Ativan a day (equiv to about 30 mg of Valium) and sometimes, with my tolerance, even it doesn't seem like enough. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck.

I think that is so so true.....The only way to get better is to take less of it..... I was on 25mg of Valium for a few months when my dog died, I felt worse than ever, as I started to lower the dose my anxiety went up but I felt better.

Interesting about the healthy diet.....I will google a good fruit and veg diet as I have not eaten any veg or fruit for years, just eat meat, pasta, rice and chocolate. I may buy one of those blending things....You put the veg and fruit in the top and it turns it into a smoothy, then just a case of swallowing it. Now for the vanity part......I used to be very into bodybuilding so dont want to loose the size of my arms, chest etc.....Cutting down on meat I will loose my size which in turn will make me feel insecure as I only did bodybuilding to boost my confidence with size. I am 41 years old, 6ft and 232lbs. Majority of my anxiety is down to what people think of me. Its strange as people think I am full of confidence as I laugh, smile and joke all the time yet inside I am full of anxiety and want to run away and hide. Never had any troubles getting women or making new friends yet I am so scared and insecure?

I use l theanine for suppressing some of the stimulant induced stress response. Overall it's extremely weak but the combined use of egcg and l theanine w. Caffeine via tea leaves mixed with chewing tobacco seems to increase my stress tolerance without decreasing my stress levels idk if that makes sense. Meaning I find it easier to function and keep my cool but it's not like Xanax where you feel physically calm.

Overall what both l theanine and egcg from green and healthy foods have in common is chemicals that can reduce some harmful byproducts of living.

These are not eccessential to life because because most of the time your body has everything running smoothly.

For example green tea has egcg which contains a benzene group with hydroxy groups attached to it

Grapes have reversitrol which have benzene groups with hydroxy groups attached to it

Both egcg and reversitrol react with oxidants neutralizing them

Reversitrol + o2
Egcg+ o2
Hydroxy-benzyl + oxidant = ketone-benzyl
(Oh)-(benzyl)+ o2 = (o)=(benzyl)

In other words taking a chemical that is reactive making it neutral

Would something like Valerian Root help or could that cause more problems? Need to find something that is not sedating yet needs to ease anxiety? I managed to drive half a mile from home today but could not go into the local shop.

Thanks kleinerkiffer :)....I tried sending you a PM the other week but my space bar dose not work on PM's?

psy997.....I have just ordered some L-theanine off Amazon so hoping that will help.

There is also a Russian drug called Selank that is meant to work very well for anxiety, although not much information about it on the net, its is a peptide.