Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Celexa 40mgs/MDMA - First Time Combo - horrid Serotonin Syndrome

Buckstart37

Greenlighter
I had to read posts on here to figure out what was going on, helped a lot, heres my story:
A cop shot a person in my office a year ago 13 times and with the wrongful death suit against my landlord, he revoked my lease in a spot the business had been for 35 years, which I paid $400,000 over 7 years for in my 20s. Cap that off with already being burned out and it was a recipe for disaster. I camped the US for 8 months to "clear my head"...but ended up drinking a ton while camping...didnt help. After 5 months on Serax (which worked great) and no booze, doc yanked the prescription 4 weeks ago and put me on Celexa. 10mgs, then 20 after a week and thirty two weeks ago. I felt like I was rolling on 10mgs day 1, so figured "yep, this is working". I started cramping up daily and blaimed it on dehydration...water, water, water...headache was horrendouse, so I thought, I need more sleep. I was headed to Cabo for a bachelor party, had to be ready. Left for cabo, puked in a cup on the plane three times (supposed to happen coming home, not departing). Well, I was commited by Spirit Airlines at this point...so nothing to do but drink more water and sleep. When I left in a haste, I grabbed my roomates Trazadone instead of my celexa...read what it does, "sleep-aid"...perfect. Took 200mgs as his prescription recommended for him...and I, I guess��. Slept so deep that no one could wake me up to depart. Two friends carried me to customs. I woke up enough to get through customs, then dead asleep in the van to the house. Crawled into bed and slept another 10 hours solid...shit myself and puked asleep (thank god I was on my side). All my friends were in town at this point, Im rested (still puking and legs locking up...but hey, gotta rally! We hit a a couple of bars on the harbor and my friend whipped out mdma caps. (I never bothered to read the celexa interactions, Im an idiot who paid the price. I took one, nothing for 40 mins, so took a second..this is where shit went south fast. My heart went nuts, I puked uncontrollably at the bar, fell over and couldnt stand..since my 10 friends took the same dose and were fine..they figured I must have a "bug", so one friend came with me to the house. I started hallucinating and could not look at light without throwing up. Said "friend" found a "lady" in the lobby. So I hobble in solo, I fell over in bed...and after what I thought was a dream, woke up in a cabo hospital bathtub of ice with IVs and a ventilator. Muscles locking up, shaking like a leaf, head packed with pressure. Drs only spoke soanish and my friends only spoke english, so dr had been treating me for heat stroke. I then had my first ever siezure..in a bathtub in cabo. Back out cold again. Hospital demands payment on the spot $4000, so My geneious "friends" hacked my cell, found my passwords (once again, idiot award for me) and western unioned doc. This time I woke up 2 days later in a San Diego Intensive care, cords and cables everywhere. I finally had the sense to try and tell the doc everything I had taken...but I couldnt talk...wrote it in chicken sratch...then another siezure. This time I wake up and my pissed off girlfriend is there too. I was loaded with ativan and had a drug to stop the seratonin. Went to the bathroom and just shit pure red blood, no shit. So here I am a week later, out of the hospital for 3 days. Left my bags in cabo, all was stolen from there....lost my drivers license because of the siezures...but the headache is mostly gone and fever has gone wayyy down (it was 106.2 in cabo). So, I got a book on seratonin syndrome and Im back on a benzo, which works great. So, theres my idiocy of a story...dont be me this past year:). Oddly, through that whole mess, my depression has never come back...but that was mainly from the time, therapy and benzo help I believe (and dropping booze)...Ugh. My dog still thinks Im rad, so running with that positve before back to work Tuesday to pay for this $12,000 trip:).

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_celexa
substancecode_citalopram
substancecode_antidepressants
substancecode_ssris
substancecode_pharms
substancecode_mdma
substancecode_empathogens
_combo_
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
exptype_disaster
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that whole experience sounds awful, I'm sorry.

When you grabbed the bottle of trazadone instead of celexa for the trip was this by mistake? And if so, you probably didn't notice until it was too late? Please be careful, it sounds like you could have died in your sleep from asphyxiation. Like you said, luckily you were on your side.

Thank God you survived the serotonin syndrome and made it back home. If they put you back on antidepressants then you should really spend some time studying its interactions so this never happens. Actually you should always do this for any medications you are taking.

Enjoy your dogs love, get better and good luck paying the bill. Thanks for the report.

Thanks:). I had put my celexa in a baggie to bring it with me without a rattling bottle. In a haste, I grabbed his pill bottle on accident. I honestly thought it was a stroke of luck when I saw that it was a sleep aid. The only two prescriptions for neuro activity/central nervous system Ive ever taken were the serax and recently the Celexa...I did not research on it, just followed the instructions on the bottle "do not drink alcohol"...but it didnt mention mixing other anti depressants not mdma, so figured I was good. I definitely paid the price for not doing research first. On the bright side...I didnt have a stroke (which the doc in san diego thought was immenent) and Im alive and feeling pretty good. VERY serious issue tho, which I had never heard of prior to being in the throws of it. Since typing the original post earlier, tmI checked my emails. My friend had the mdma tested back in san diego and it was PMA (?)...so I need to do a little research on the difference. Regardless, appreciate the thoughts:)✌?

pofaced, I learned that yesterday reading about it. My buddies all ended up going on a really bad one (I didnt know because I was out). Three of them unded up in the Cabo hospital as well. Thats the reason they tested it when they got back. The wierd thing is we know the manufacturer, and he was adamant that it was mdma...so either he switched the wrong batch or someone else did some "manufacturing" for him. They said they were rt on the edge of heart attack for hours. Was shitty for them also. Great Party Tho!!!?

LucidDreamer: yes they do. I had no idea what PMA even was before last week. Apparently the manufacturer of the chemicals in Sweden mislabed a few of the chemicals ("apparently")..,thus the pma. He was freaking out because two of my friends had to get tested for strokes. He thought he was off to the slammer for sure given how sick everyone got....but ultimately, were all grown men and we chose to take a pill without testing it prior, so not really his fault. Pretty sure none of us will ever touch a seratonin enhancing drug again. I know I wont. Cant even get my damn drivers license back for 10 months and my short term memory is still zapped two weeks later. Ugh