⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film John Wick: Chapter 2

Shale

Bluelighter
John Wick: Chapter 2
Movie Blurb by Shale
February 10, 2017

This movie picks up from the first one in 2014 and the action starts before the credits roll. John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is coming to pick up his stolen car being held by a Russian mob boss, brother of Viggo Tarasov and uncle to Josef Tarasov - both of whom were killed by Wick in the first movie, along with a bunch of henchmen who got in his way. Same thing happens here and by the time the credits rolled another bunch of dead henchmen were laying around, John got his somewhat damaged car back and the Russian mobster agreed to make peace with him.

John Wick Opening Mayhem
john_wick_still_1.jpg

At this point, I assume I am writing for ppl who saw the first John Wick movie because you will know the characters, the set up and the background story including the significance of his big burly dog that he stole as a puppy in the last movie. Just like the last movie, John just wants to retire as a mob hitman but they just won't let him.

John with Dog
John-Wick-Chapter-2-1.jpg

Having made peace with the Russians, up steps an Italian mobster, Santino D'Antonio (Riccardo Scamarcio) who calls in a marker, or blood oath that John took in the past - an offer he can't refuse. Seems Santino is jealous of his sister Gianna's (Claudia Gerini) advances in the mob and wants John Wick to do the contract killing.

So, more violence and well-choreografed hand-to-hand action ensues as John goes up against Gianna's army of protectors. Oh, just like the last movie, altho John Wick survives he takes some bloody hits that would make the rest of us lie down and stop. But he is the "boogeyman" who has killed ppl in a barfight with a pencil. (BTW, that was mentioned in both movies, but we get to see how it's done in this one) Did I mention that this movie is rated R for bloody, spattering, head-shot violence?

Some of the ppl from the first movie make a reappearance in this one, such as John's friend Aurelio at the chop shop (John Leguizamo), Charon the concierge at the Continental Hotel (Lance Reddick) and Winston the owner of the Continental Hotel (Ian McShane). Even Jimmy, the local cop and John's friend (Thomas Sadoski ) makes a cameo appearance.

A new gangster character that had history with John Wick and now is pressed to help him, is The Bowery King (Laurence Fishburne).

John Wick & The Bowery King
john-wick-chapter-2-1.jpg

I enjoyed this movie just as I did the first one. The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 90% Fresh and 94% of audiences liked it. This movie has all the appearances of being adapted from a grafic novel with disparate styles of cell fones, texting and internet access with traditional landline fones, fone exchange switchboards and manual typewriters. But, just as I discovered with the 2014 movie, John Wick was created and the story written by screenwriter Derek Kolstad.

Looks like it'll be good; I loved the first one so I'll see the sequel. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the first movie, but sobbed shamelessly when his dog was killed (blame anti-convulsants that have a mood stabilising effect given to someone without a mood disorder.....).
Please tell me nothing happens to the dog in this one?
From Mighty Celt, War horse to Red Dog my husband won't take me to see anything that an animal dies or is killed in....and yeah I know its just a film.

From Mighty Celt, War horse to Red Dog my husband won't take me to see anything that an animal dies or is killed in....and yeah I know its just a film.

Good thing you weren't a kid in my generation. From Bambi's mom to Old Yeller, Disney really got us ready for life;s tragedies.

One of the strengths of the first one was learning some about his mysterious background. Now that we already know, the sequel risks being as pointless as Taken 4 or whatever number they're on..

I found the music at times to be really good in this. Peter Stormare making an appearance was great.

It must be somewhat decent cause the rotten tomatoes crew aint the easiest to please.

The exception being episode VII Star Wars and that was an insider job.