• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Has this ever happened to you?

A

AnonMom

Upfront, I am not asking for any type of medical advice. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they handled it.
I am not sure where this should be posted?
Ok. I take Suboxone daily, via IV. I recently rotated to my hands/fingers. I decided to try the ones on my thumb, below my nailbed at the knuckle. They registered perfectly, didnt blow or anything of that sort. But while plunging, a burning sensation goes up my hand. Not like hitting a nerve, more like fire being plunged into a vein. Its only for a moment, by the time Im finished with the plunge, it stops. Then the next day, and for several days after, my hand will swell up pretty bad. It doesnt really hurt, other than the uncomfortable tightness from the swelling. Has anyone ever experienced this? Or know why it is happening?
I've been using Suboxone daily like this for a long time now, and only doing so in my fingers does this happen. But not every finger.
I have a photo, but dont see a place to upload it here
I have researched and understand the difference between a vein and an artery, and the difference of color in register. It is not an artery, it isnt bright, but deep red, just like a regular ol' vein. If its just a regular ol' vein, why would it give the burning sensation now and never any other time? I use the same dose, amount of water, everything is exactly the same as always. The swelling does go away after a few days, but I am curious if anyone knows what is happening here?

Thanks in advance..

*I am not asking for dose advice. I am not asking for medical advice. I am not asking to be shamed for ROA. I know the risks of this particular ROA and do not need links explaining the dangers.

Suboxone is a pretty bad thing to IV. Assume you don't use micron filters?

I've shot dope in similar areas around knuckles n to me it sounds like you may be missing slightly I mean they are tiny veins in that area and a miss hurts like a MF.. Much worse than on the arm.

So yea IMO it's due to partially missing in a sensitive area.

Be careful.. Suboxone is not a drug you want to miss really.

A low or otherwise non physiological pH solution will burn veins, especially small ones and cause inflammation and even sclerosing. Most forms of bupe contain acidic flavorings and buffers which are below the pH of blood. I would suggest changing your ROA or using larger veins farther up the hand / wrist and maybe a more dilute solution. And micron filters can save alot of damage to your circulatory system as well.

^This

IV suboxone can lead to amputation etc. due to it's caustic nature and fillers/binders so at least use a micron filter

Suboxone is a pretty bad thing to IV. Assume you don't use micron filters?

I've shot dope in similar areas around knuckles n to me it sounds like you may be missing slightly I mean they are tiny veins in that area and a miss hurts like a MF.. Much worse than on the arm.

So yea IMO it's due to partially missing in a sensitive area.

Be careful.. Suboxone is not a drug you want to miss really.

IDK why I thought I should post that anonymously.. who cares. anyway..
For years before, using other drugs, my ex and others had always told me you couldnt even use those veins. So I never did, therefore this is the only thing Ive ever IVd there. Anyway, I have missed with suboxone before, and it burns like hell. But this isnt a miss. This is definitely not a miss. Its almost as if its burning my vein while traveling through it or something, sorta what Jekyl said.. But only while im plunging. Once Im done, it stops. Then Im good the rest of the day, go to bed that night, and when I wake up the next morning, my hand or hands are swollen insanely. The day I originally wrote this was like 3 days ago.. I took a picture that I was going to attach, but I cant figure out how to do that yet. But today, they are back to normal size, except the finger I initially chose for the ROA; its not swollen like it was, looks closer to normal size than anything except exactly where I did it and surrounding about 1/4 inch all around, is red and numb. Slight puffiness, but I wouldnt call it swollen.
IDK if a picture makes a difference or not but yea..
Oh. And regarding micron filters. I have read lots of things where people use those and stories about it actually making a huge difference versus a qtip cottonball or anything else. But I have not a clue where to get those.. I mean.. Sometimes I'll go to Walmart to get my sharps, but my mom truly is a diabetic and truly uses them so I'm always getting them for her, and some for myself obviously. But I cant just walk up to an employee and say "Hey can you point me to the micron filters?" Can I?? Lol.

Thanks for the replies BTW.

You can get micron filters online.

Never have I met an IV user in "real life" who used them, though. Or probably even knew what one was.

its like fishing sometimes.

You can get micron filters online.

Never have I met an IV user in "real life" who used them, though. Or probably even knew what one was.

Do you know a place online particularly? My veins have gotten horrible over the years, so if it helps, Id actually like to get them to help save what I got left ya know..
&& yea, exactly. I had never heard any person say anything about a micron filter until I read threads, probably here. So I dont even know if anyone even knows what they are. It makes me wonder though, considering how in depth some 'junkies' are know about the ROA, that someone hasnt mentioned it before.

Sorry, but the No Sourcing rule also applies to HR supplies

You should think about plugging

The people who don't use micron filters will probably regret it later in life and more people are using them as information about them is spread through sites like this one. The streets are not always an intellectual hotbed of HR info. If nothing else they can actually filter out bacteria that can cause cotton fever type reactions. Typing "micron filter .22" into any search engine, will bring up plenty of options for acquisition. (Sorry if I'm encroaching into a grey area about sourcing Kiffer )

Last edited by a moderator:
How is your hand now? If it's still swollen and hurts go get anti biotics go to the ER trust me , they deal with people like you multiple times a day .
Happened to me with really bad cut dope I shot it in my arm and I thought it registered (which it did but I think I pulled it back a bit) and it was so cut I couldn't feel it missing for some reason either that or idk what happened .
I shot the whole 90 units and didn't feel any pain it swoll up right away and got warm and red day by day worse and worse and they had to cut it open after litocain shot it took 15 minutes and they sent me home it wasn't really bad , I'm glad I did that cause all I got is a little scar on my arm not a prosthetic

Now that you mention it when I would shoot around my knuckles it was hurt during the plunging.

Think Its just the fAct of it being a sensitive area.. Tiny veins, any bit of extra pressure I.e. from injecting probably irritates the veins.

N I also remember the injection site being puffy and red for a while afterwards. Cause like I said it's a sensitive area with lots of nerves

And to repeat, suboxone is a nasty substance anyway. Not nice to local tissue.

Also I do not use micron, or wheel, filters.. Would if I had an income and a debit card but those are things of the past..

Anyway do the sell them at ANY pharmacies? I've heard of needle exchanges carrying them sometimes.. Just can't imagine pharmacies carrying them because anything you would legitimately need to inject would be medical quality.

Micron filters are designed for applications like HPLC- High Performance Liquid Chromatography, but being sterile and filtering down to a fraction of a micron makes them an excellent Harm Reduction tool. Sterifilts are another decent filter actually designed for IV drug users but without the filtering capabilities of a micron filter. Sterifilts are widely available in the EU / UK and available in the states through mail order. None of these items will be available in pharmacies but are highly recommended if you have the means.

AND YES Subutex and Suboxone are tough on the circulatory system. vvv
https://www.bluelight.org/vb/thread...pen-to-YOU-)?p=7238266&viewfull=1#post7238266

You can buy disposable debit cards with cash at most stores and use those to order online.

Stetilfilt micron filter tips for insulin rigs are becoming more apparent at needle exchanges.

It's possible that you're not fully registering in an artery, but just nicking it in the process of injection. This all goes without mentioning the fact that the veins in the hand and feet are very fragile compared to say, the crook of your elbow. These small, dainty veins then, are going to be more likely to extravasate (blood leaking out of the lumen, but the lumen itself is still essentially functioning).

Also, I'm no expert on injection of Suboxone (Buprenorphine/Naloxone), but I've seen more people with complications from Suboxone Strip injection than any other drug. I would bet good money on the fact that there is something in these strips that is very harmful if injected. We really need to discourage the practice at this point. Again, I'm not expert, but I've seen things that really lead me to believe that this is a dangerous practice.

As far as your injury goes, so long as the swelling goes down, the pain goes down and everything appears to be returning to normal, you're fine. If for some reason, swelling increases noticeably and the wound appears to not be getting better, you'll need to seek medical attention. If you get to that point, please let us know and we can advise you on what your condition might be.

As far as shame goes, there's no shame man. We all have enough shame to go around and nobody here of substance will judge you for your addiction. We do want to help you be healthy though and it's at these points that we might potentially clash. This just doesn't seem like a sustainable practice.

I have never slammed Suboxone - but I can tell you what it felt like to slam black tar into the small veins in my hands and fingers. After most of my arms veins were inaccessible, I moved to my fingers - the sides, tops, joint areas, everything. In MANY MANY cases, I hit veins, registered venal blood, but when I shot it in I would get a feeling that was very similar to having shot into an artery. It would burn and would cause the area to swell up.

My thought at the time, was that perhaps it had something to do with the fact that at the fingertips, veins and arteries are very close and connected. Also, the vein walls of those tiny veins are super thin. That may also contribute to it. I would suggest you stop using your hands completely. I insisted on slamming drugs when all my hand veins went out, and once that happened, I switched to my legs. Superficial leg veins. However, I would not recommend slamming at all. Plugging is a better, safer, more sustainable practice which takes getting used to - just like anything else. Good luck OP.

-kiffer, i apologize. i didnt think about what i was asking obviously. sorry.

-gorillaboy, my hand is good for the most part now. all swelling is gone, no pain or redness. just a dark area now, like literally. a few shades darker than my skin, and still kinda numb. almost like a big scar or something. i still havent figured out how to attach a photo here or id show you.. glad your arm was ok also..

-Richards, thanks for the info and input. your reply has made me rethink the ROA. Im just not sure how to stop doing honestly.. I used to IV other drugs.. meth and heroin were my tops. heroin was the love of my life. aside from that, I am pretty positive Im also addicted to this ROA. Just, the whole process.

AnonMom, another thing to consider, shooting anything in those small to tiny veins will eventually lead to bad circulation in those areas, due to the caustic chemicals, non soluable ingredients and just the trauma of hitting little veins.

This is a big part of what leads to cardiovascular disease and amputations.

Excellent point Keif' Richards

-kiffer, i apologize. i didnt think about what i was asking obviously. sorry.

-gorillaboy, my hand is good for the most part now. all swelling is gone, no pain or redness. just a dark area now, like literally. a few shades darker than my skin, and still kinda numb. almost like a big scar or something. i still havent figured out how to attach a photo here or id show you.. glad your arm was ok also..

-Richards, thanks for the info and input. your reply has made me rethink the ROA. Im just not sure how to stop doing honestly.. I used to IV other drugs.. meth and heroin were my tops. heroin was the love of my life. aside from that, I am pretty positive Im also addicted to this ROA. Just, the whole process.

Hey man, it's not like its undocumented that users become addicted to rituals surrounding drug use. Fuck man, I have rituals surrounding my making of coffee in the morning that, if I can't perform, cause me anxiety. If I can't get up and go to that coffee maker and have the hot drink in front of me and the news on at 7, it's like I don't even know what I'm doing or where I'm going for the day.

If all that just surrounds the relatively miniscule jolt I get from a cup of coffee, consider the ritual surrounding drugs as powerfully as intoxicating as Opioids. The whole thing was addictive for me. The direct deposit Friday morning, the phone call to the man, the walk to the spot, getting home, turning on the music and getting high. It causes pretty intense emotion in me just to describe how I used to feel. Don't worry about it though, the issue can be fixed.

You've just gotta tell yourself that it's not gonna be an option any longer. Not because you might hurt your loved ones or because your addiction might cost you your job, but because your body cannot physically sustain the route any further. You don't have to stop using Buprenorphine. There's a lot of conjecture out there regarding the bioavailability of Buprenorphine, but from my personal experience, the rectal route is the fastest, most efficient and the "strongest hit" next to injection. As you move away from the ROA and the ritual surrounding it, you're going to ultimately desire a similar experience.

Don't torture yourself with moving too quickly or reducing your dose, but you have to get away from the injection route for the sake of your health. Keep us posted!

And, Speed King, I am flattered! :)