View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nootropics to Repair Damage From Heavy DXM Abuse & Alcoholism

PsychonautRyan

Bluelighter
Hi y'all, I'm 50 days sober today, but from mid-October to December 19, I went on a two-month binge: getting wasted at night, and then getting stoned on DXM throughout the day as a pick-me-up since it's both a stimulant and hallucinogen at second-plateau dosages. I checked myself into Starlite Recovery Center in San Antonio, Texas for a forty-five day treatment program, and I noticed a serious cognitive/intellectual deficit my first two weeks: I was scatterbrained, in a mental fog, was even worse with names than I was before and I would leave or enter a room forgetting why I was there in the first place. Though I feel the haze has lifted quite a bit since that time, I'm wondering if anyone would recommend any nootropics for my recovery.

I'm taking 9.6 grams of omega-3 fish oil, a B-vitamin complex, getting three solid meals a day with adequate sleep, I need to restock on piracetam, but any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're feeling burned out I'd personally recommend Acetyl L-Carnitine. I would suggest reading about it's health benefits of which there are numerous. The fish oil, B-vitamin Complex and three solid meals a day with some good sleep will do you a world of wonder, trust me. I don't mean to be presumptious, but I don't think the best way to treat the residual psychological and physiological wounds of a past addiction to drugs, is with even more drugs. I think you're on the money with the supplements and lifestyle changes you've already mentioned, since that would be the key to a happy and healthy mindset which will, in turn, dissapate that mental fog. I myself binged benzos for a few months, and it really fucked me up. Memory loss, decreased cognitive ability, etc. I'm still recovering from it all, working on bettering myself as a person, and buildling the mental fortitude to live life to my fullest.

Best of luck to you man.

And don't forget engagement in what you love (from a hobby to a sport to a creative endeavor to simply being with people you love). If you are engaged your mind will rise to the occasion. It is in idle isolation that worry compounds itself.<3

I know this thread is several months old, but personally, I've found substantial benefit in using nootropics to combat the aftermath of a dissociative binge (DXM in particular, but also MXE). The trick is finding an optimal stack, as simply grabbing one of the 'racetams usually won't cut it; for me, choline was necessary to not only reduce the headache from the base nootropics I took (which were noopept and aniracetam), but also because it's a precursor for acetylcholine, which is helpful for memory and muscle control. I also found sulbutiamine and l-tyrosine to be good addenums, as well as doses of l-theanine as needed for anxiety and occasional doses of Phenibut, though the latter I wouldn't recommend more than once or twice a week.

This stack helped with the extreme anhedonia and mental fog that followed a dissociative binge, not to mention all the positive neuroregenerative effects that nootropics are reputed to have. Maybe if I wasn't on my cell and at a dog park I would do some research about the areas of the brain damaged through dissociative abuse (and DXM in particular) and the areas of the brain that nootropics are supposed to help, but until then all I have is anecdotal evidence. It helped with getting back into the swing of things but it's not a cure-all, obviously; the work still needs to be done, though this can be a very useful tool.

You should try L-theanine maybe. It seems like whatever damage was caused because of NMDA antagonism. L-theanine is structurally similar to glutamate, to it agonizes the NMDA receptor, which may help to improve you cognitive abilities. I've also heard that people who have suffered from chronic brain damage (far worse than what you have experienced) can have the damage somewhat repaired while using Ambien. This is still being researched of course and it still is not commonly prescribed for this effect, but it is definitely something to look into since the findings so far are very promising.