• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Crystal Ball Or Scrying Mirror

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I'm planning on purchasing a legit scrying device rather than simply using a household mirror for scrying. I've heard from many people (including someone on here) that household mirrors typically are ineffective for scrying. However, I'm unsure if I should use a crystal ball or scrying mirror. For anyone else that does scrying, what type of instrument is typically more effective? Also, there are crystal balls/scrying mirrors I've seen that are like 15 bucks but there are other that are more in the 100+ range. Should I just go with the cheaper one or are the more expensive ones likely to be more effective for clairvoyance/precognition/mediumship which is what I intend to use the crystal ball/scrying mirror for. I have long known that I possess a certain degree of psychic abilities that pop up every so often, but they aren't consistent. I even had a vision that showed me that the world is shifting into a new cosmic order of love and light. I received this message through an ancient language that I never have heard before in my life (ancient Persian to be specific). I feel that using a scrying device will help to bring out these abilities and allow me to really put them to use.

One time I was on Kratom in benzo withdrawals I was able to scry from the air or any surface I put my eyes on. I think what you use doesn't matter, it comes from within.

I had never heard of scrying using a mirror (sheltered life), so I was looking it up a few months ago when I experienced what I had dismissed as hallucinations prompted from some level of imagination. About six months ago I was staring into a mirror while meditating for completely different reasons when the mirror seemed to turn black and I saw an image not even remotely in my mind. It produced a fear that I took a fear minutes to find the childhood source of, mirror phantoms, that I had believed in. As I dismissed the belief that I was still holding both the image and the feeling disappeared. I stayed in that somewhat trance state a while before backing out.

It seems mental state is important but this experience showed me how I was allowing my subconscious to pick some more tricky to find mental blocks that were hindering my ability to progress. I haven't seen anything new in the mirror in some time but I rarely take the time to revisit that experience. I make it sound smooth when I write it here but it was not smooth, the fear was causing an adrenalin rush that I was trying to meditate through, the image was triggering responses on an emotional level. All from childhood fears I hadn't bothered to dismiss properly.

I do agree with Ninae that the mirror may matter less than intention of the scryer.

Yeah, me neither, this is the first I hear of scrying and scrying mirrors. I'm intrigued. I've always used a conventional mirror and gazed into it. Mirror gazing was something I was doing as a personal exercise and didn't know anything about it back then. I was an awkward and shy teenager growing up. Mirror gazing seeming like a way of facing my fears at the time. Then stuff started happening and I returned to it at different times throughout my life. There were drugs involved later but not when I first started. Scrying is some next level stuff, thanks for the info. The black is in the mirror which I'm guessing would make it less straining on the eyes and lessen the urge to refocus your gaze like in a conventional mirror.

just go easy landsunknown. I don't know enough about you to give advice but that sounds advanced and not particularly grounding. it'd be a good idea to meditate, do yoga or some breathwork as well if that is the path you want to go down

Can only really echo what others have said; I learned scrying by accident in a wardrobe-length mirror and I've never seen much point in moving on from there (if it's good enough for Gysin then it's good enough for me!), but if the 'right' equipment helps you to focus then by all means spend some money! It's very much akin to the difference between rigid and formal ceremonial magick and the looser, more improvisational chaos approach. Both will bring results, but some methods work better for one person than they do another. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I picked up a 5" scrying mirror with a stand on Amazon. The 5" size is too small, it's immediately apparent. If I like it enough to use it I'll get a 8" or 10" one. Does it work? Just got it in the mail and not in a rush to try it. Might share my experience with it at some point after giving it a few tries. Don't see why it wouldn't. It makes sense to me it'd work better than a mirror. Not interested in magic or fortune telling at all mind you. Only interested in insight into myself and my life, and not sure if this is the way to got about it. I decided a while back that the heart was effort better spent than the third eye, but that doesn't mean I have no interest in it, so curious to try new things. Thanks for the info landsunknown.

Depends on what the mirror is made of. Glass and crystal aren't usually the best. There is also a process that the mirror must undergo to turn it into a living object. If you don't do that, then anything you see in the mirror is a projection of your psyche and nothing trans-material.

The mirror I bought is made of obsidian. It's black and polished so you can see you reflection in it. I don't have any idea if it was treated as you say, though it was sold as a scrying mirror. Feel free to elaborate, I'm curious what you mean by the treatment and living object.

Those black obsidian mirrors are supposed to be good for it. With this sort of thing it's whatever works for you. I need sleep deprivation personally. My most vivid visions came from the hue around a candle flame. I have also never experienced anything truly meaningful from doing this which is why I don't particularly give af about scrying. I'm sure others are different though.

Thanks @krowsnose. I know what you mean about sleep deprivation. One night in my early twenties when I was traveling in Mexico but off the wagon drug-wise: no alcohol, pot or other drugs in my system, I went out with my friend and travel companions on New Years to a night club. My friend drilled it in my head that I should try to get laid that night but I wasn't feeling it. Was a nervous wreck and wasn't having a good time. Drank Red Bull and tonics all night to fit in while my buddy got sloshed and a bit obnoxious towards the end.

Later went home and felt like shit but was wired from the Red Bull's. Couldn't sleep. Thoughts of solitude flowing through my head. Decided to stare in the mirror and stayed there for like two hours. Was the first time I went deep into myself like that. Wasn't clear sight or anything but got a sense of being a part of something so much greater and it was a very formative experience. I didn't really believe in anything spiritual back then or at least my thoughts were very muddy. A bit clearer now. I'm in my mid thirties.

@ Foreigner, curious since you're rather experienced in this if you could finish that thought. I can google this I suppose, but would rather hear it from you if you got the time or if you'd like to drop a link you find meaningful.

As Ninae said, just about anything works. You could even use a basin of water with black dye in it. Bright lights, reflections, or prominent features on the surface or in the background will distract.