• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is Meth so addictive?

Lostsoul757

Greenlighter
Everyone says the first time you do Meth is the best high then , it kind of goes down hill..my question is if it's no longer getting you as high after so long ...why do people get addicted to it?

To depressed people, it can be a very twisted addiction. Lots of reasons to be addicted but only one to avoid it. L

I don't know the specific neurochemistry, but like most CNS stimulants it down-regulates neuroreceptors so that you need to use more and more of the drug in order to feel high from it. Eventually, the down-regulation affects day to day life, such that it becomes easy to rely on meth to feel good at all. In other words, drug resistance develops quickly, as well as drug reliance.

Crystal meth is also neurotoxic so it has deleterious effects on the brain that are usually permanent, unlike other classes of stimulants. As users become more and more cognitively impaired, it may be even more difficult to make healthier life choices, such as abstaining from the drug.

It tricks your body and mind into thinking it needs more and more till u have nothing left.

Meth and MDMA a very similar structurally. But what they do is alter the amount of GABA in the brain, a neurotransmitter. The thing is that over repeated uses of this stuff, your brain adapts to compensate for the increased lvl's of GABA, thus decreasing it's own output that occurs naturally. What ends up happening is that you get a chemical imbalance in the brain when you don't ingest the drug, leading to all sorts of mayhem in the body. You'll lose your basic ability to function, your brain recognizes this and triggers you to
get more of the drug, to produce/release the GABA. That's why these types of drugs are so addictive and dangerous.

Neither methamphetamine nor MDMA have much to do with the GABA receptors, if at all. Methamphetamine's effects are due to massive dopamine release, MDMA's effects are due to a release of massive amounts of serotonin.

yeah, it's a dopaminergic stimulant. Dopaminergic stimulants = feelsgoodman.jpg

I've tried it once due to lack of Adderall. Was high quality , just dont dig it .
Opiods :)

I would ... based on personal experience say there are three main reasons that meth is more addictive than other stimulants.

1.) It's smokable. This is the fastest way to get a response other than the needle and that makes it extremely compulsive. Not that compulsion is hard to manage, but some people have big problems with it and it can encourage much more heavy use and greatly deepen the desire to take it again when certain triggers are experienced. Classical conditioning on ice is seriously hardcore classical conditioning.
2.) It lasts unbelievably long. A subtle one this as in many ways it makes it less addictive as there is less of a crash to "manage," away with more drugs and it's more likely if you eat it than if you snort, inject or smoke but the duration is often so long especially with new users that it can be problematic to fit it into a weekend or normal length of drug sessions. I found myself bumping 5 or 10mg on Monday morning just to get through the day and that this could go on all week. A lot of this is to do with it metabolising into active amphetamines on the first two passes to quite a high degree which I suspect is greatly affected by administration method. If you have an insane amphetamine tolerance (e.g. just done a big dexie burn) then you will notice a profound difference in the duration and strength of the high.
3.) It is insanely strong. Meth is the drug I came to when the other drugs stopped working, and I can still catch a good buzz off even 20mg (and I mean a GOOD buzz not some piss annoying half buzz). If you do massive long runs the buzz gets immensely shit but a nice long sleep and some food with a week or two off and you'll be back there pretty quick. Eventually long term tolerance probably associated with mental deficits will take the edge off it - but we're talking years not months here.

All that stuff about the first buzz might be true for some people, but if you can remember your "first," buzz of anything you probably shouldn't be messing around with meth. It can also seriously trigger latent psyhosis in a way other amphetamines don't so it's one to be careful with. When the pipes start talking to you .. maybe you should find another drug or stop taking a gramme at a time.

Last edited:
I feel like meth is more mentally addictive than a lot of other drugs because when you're on it you feel like you can just keep doing more and more. With MDMA you can't keep re-dosing because you wont get any higher, but with meth, it seems like everytime you take some you get a strong high. You can also do it throughout the week, can drive and go to work/school while under the influence because you stay awake for so long. You can't do coke all night/week because you'll run out of money too fast and the high wont last you long enough.

I have a hormone imbalance and meth makes me a sexual freak with no care for the outcome. I like to play hooker and walk and meet men and get them off and do it naughty.

My man likes me to get them to video me having sex or giving head and really loved it if I do a black man and tell him about it in bed.

When he and I get high he pimps me out for fun and I am horny to the point that I become carelsss and willing to do anything anywhere.

Just gave a stranger a free sexual doggie style romp and facetimed my girlfriend and her man and about to show my hubby his phone where I sent the video from my Walgreens stud that did me in his company truck

I have a hormone imbalance and meth makes me a sexual freak with no care for the outcome. I like to play hooker and walk and meet men and get them off and do it naughty.

My man likes me to get them to video me having sex or giving head and really loved it if I do a black man and tell him about it in bed.

When he and I get high he pimps me out for fun and I am horny to the point that I become carelsss and willing to do anything anywhere.

Just gave a stranger a free sexual doggie style romp and facetimed my girlfriend and her man and about to show my hubby his phone where I sent the video from my Walgreens stud that did me in his company truck

Stay safe.

I have never used meth and do not ever want to; but it releases a lot of dopamine like burnt offerings wrote.

Yep.. everything I've read in this thread I have either experienced or seen secondhand. Very very powerful dopamine releaser. It seems like some secondary effect causes the "pleasurable" effect, however the way it makes you act at first, I assume this is due to its' extremely motivating effects, no other drug can compare. It's like you all of a sudden have the utmost confidence to accomplish everything you wish to, however that effect falls apart as fast as your usual life does once you get on it, because its impsossible to operate at that speed and still be in sync with the general populace (so to speak). Definitely something to use very very sparingly, I had to learn to just only take 1 or 2 large puffs in a week or honestly a few times a fortnight, usually get from a housemate TBH and he takes way more but it seems like hes "not really there", so to say just like I used to be so I can't blame him, however this times where I talk with him is much of the time after drinking/smoking hash and I go to bed afterward anyway, or it's early in the morning which I especially enjoy because I can ride th wave of motivation and get so much fucking work done. So I can't say either way, is this stuff good or bad. Best of luck to all!

I believe Cocaine is a DRI dopamine re-uptake inhibitor(basically blocks the brain from soaking up the excess dopamine between the transmitters in the brain so a "pool" of extra dopamine collects which is what causes the "high")

Meth is more a DRA(dopamine releasing agent) which essentially force the brain to produce more dopamine in the brain

Both attempt to trick the brain intro having high synaptic levels of dopamine.

A bit more complicated than that. Meth isn't just a dopamine releasing agent, it's also a DRI in and of itself (at lower doses this effect is more pronounced), as well as an MAO-B substrate (basically takes up the enzyme responsible for metabolizing not just methamphetamine, but things like dopamine, phenethylamine (a TAAR1 agonist), norepinephrine. Meth is also, in and of itself, a TAAR1 agonist (trace amine autoreceptor). In high doses, it's releasing properties are so powerful and vast, it ends up forcing dopamine (as well as norepinephrine and to a large extent serotonin as well) to released in reverse back outward from the dopamine/serotonin transporters. Think a massive traffic highway collision, with backups/pileups. See, there is even things like N-methylphenethylamine, that your brain produce in small amounts during peak experiences, self regulating process and whatnot, and its only one carbon away from methamphetamine so the metabolism blockade is very real, just by virtue of introducing such a similar molecule into the same limited, confined space (your body/brain). It does force the brain to produce more dopamine, however that just gets fed into the same process, all discombobulated and whatnot, and even with all the dopamine in the world the receptors eventually get downgraded to the point where youre only feeling the positive effects upon the initial burst/rush of dopamine induced by peak levels of the drug.

A bit more complicated than that. Meth isn't just a dopamine releasing agent, it's also a DRI in and of itself (at lower doses this effect is more pronounced), as well as an MAO-B substrate (basically takes up the enzyme responsible for metabolizing not just methamphetamine, but things like dopamine, phenethylamine (a TAAR1 agonist), norepinephrine. Meth is also, in and of itself, a TAAR1 agonist (trace amine autoreceptor). In high doses, it's releasing properties are so powerful and vast, it ends up forcing dopamine (as well as norepinephrine and to a large extent serotonin as well) to released in reverse back outward from the dopamine/serotonin transporters. Think a massive traffic highway collision, with backups/pileups. See, there is even things like N-methylphenethylamine, that your brain produce in small amounts during peak experiences, self regulating process and whatnot, and its only one carbon away from methamphetamine so the metabolism blockade is very real, just by virtue of introducing such a similar molecule into the same limited, confined space (your body/brain). It does force the brain to produce more dopamine, however that just gets fed into the same process, all discombobulated and whatnot, and even with all the dopamine in the world the receptors eventually get downgraded to the point where youre only feeling the positive effects upon the initial burst/rush of dopamine induced by peak levels of the drug.

makes you wonder is selegiline might be a good medication in the treatment of meth addiction, since it is a MAO-B inhibitor.

Mhm. I would definitely like to procure some of that. N-methylamphetamine being one of its metabolites (I believe 10%ish of the dose though don't quote me on that). Seems like a time-released, beneficial form plus it has properties of it's own to rehabilitate the brain. Aghhh, methamphetamine is such a nasty beast to get rid of when its used in large amounts/extended binge amounts^.^ but I believe that with health taken into consideration and enough rest as well as engaging in activities one once found stimulating pre-meth usage, it's possible to reestablish (generally the same) type of neurochemistry as one had before. as long as tolerance breaks r taken ^^ and possibly some supplemental things. I personally take N-acetyl-tyrosine, N-acetyl-cysteine, alpha-lipoic acid, magnesium, methylcobalamin (methyl-B12 vitamin) All the best to all!

Last edited:
Mhm. I would definitely like to procure some of that. N-methylamphetamine being one of its metabolites (I believe 10%ish of the dose though don't quote me on that). Seems like a time-released, beneficial form plus it has properties of it's own to rehabilitate the brain. Aghhh, methamphetamine is such a nasty beast to get rid of when its used in large amounts/extended binge amounts^.^ but I believe that with health taken into consideration and enough rest as well as engaging in activities one once found stimulating pre-meth usage, it's possible to reestablish (generally the same) type of neurochemistry as one had before. as long as tolerance breaks r taken ^^ and possibly some supplemental things. I personally take N-acetyl-tyrosine, N-acetyl-cysteine, alpha-lipoic acid, magnesium, methylcobalamin (methyl-B12 vitamin) All the best to all!

I have heard L-DOPA and L-Tyrosine can help boost the natural dopamine levels too and help recover the ahedonia that addicts get due to low dopamine levels from drugs usage