View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Naltrexone and ayahuasca

Ayahuascalobster

Greenlighter
I'm planning on taking ayahuasca in the next two weeks. I take naltrexone for alcoholism. I drink like 1 beer on occasion thanks to naltrexone but no more than that. Do I have to stop naltrexone to take ayahuasca. Couldn't find much information on interaction. And how long should I stop it for if I do. If I stop naltrexone I won't go back to drinking alcoholically for months. I'm only saying this because I know ayahuasca and alcohol has a serious interaction and I will avoid alcohol within 48 hours of taking ayahuasca.

Btw I'm taking Syrian rue and Acadia confusa. I just read another thread that said this isn't technically traditional ayahuasca but I've done it before and had a blast with these plants. So yeah.

I have tried Ayahuasca 2x. Both facilitators said 2 weeks off alcohol?

I can't seem to find anything about the interaction of naltrexone with MAOIs, but if you feel you're able to stop it without relapsing, I would go ahead and stop it, as there may be an interaction and I think it would be best to go into ayahuasca with the most naturally functioning mind possible.

I've done two ayahuasca ceremonies and they were very powerful and helped me a lot with a number of my issues. Unfortunately, one of my issues was alcoholism and I have since relapsed. Due to this relapse, my doctor has me on naltrexone, a drug to curb alcohol cravings. It is an opioid antagonist. I am looking to do another two ceremonies at the end of March. However, I have not read much about naltrexone interaction with ayahuasca. I am well aware you can't be on MAO-Is or SSRIs. If anyone has any information on naltrexone, any help would be greatly appreciated.

u/0catfish0 (reddit)

---

Naltrexone or Naloxone will not have a drug interaction with Ayahuasca. The opiate receptors that are 'plugged' by Naltrexone are not probably not implicated in Ayahuasca drug effects.

However, I don't know of any clinical studies that support my claim as this is just speculation. It's absolutely possible there there is some relationship between GABA and Glutamate and Ayahuasca but I don't know if that's been studied extensively or at all.

-YogiBarelyThere (reddit)

---

Painkillers synthesized from thebaine (buprenorphine, etorphine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, nalbuphine, naloxone, naltrexone) should also be regarded as highly dangerous to combine with MAOIs.

http://sananda-wasi.com/meds-to-avoid-with-ayahuasca/

Last edited: