• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Research alcohols, carbamates and antique sedatives

Synaps3

Bluelighter
I posted on here a while back about my research on weird alcohols and carbamates.

Anyway, I've written an article on this here: https://www.scribd.com/document/336734227/Ethanol-Alternatives-REV4

I wrote it in a very formal way, but it doesn't have any sources listed. You have to take my word for it :)

Anyway, I'd like some comments on the info and if there is anything else I should add. I really wish there was more lab testing done on these chemicals because I really like their effects.

You wrote this? It's pretty complicated I don't drink so I really can't add anything. Your ingesting all these chemicals?

You wrote this? It's pretty complicated I don't drink so I really can't add anything. Your ingesting all these chemicals?

Yes, I did write this. So far I've only tested three of them (2-methyl-2-butanol, 3-methyl-3-pentanol, and 1-ethylcycylopentanol). There is one more that I'm willing to test (2-cyclopropyl-2-butanol), but the rest are pretty sketchy. More research needs to be done on those first, but I don't have a formal lab.

I thought acetylaldehyde was the active drug that alcohol metabolized too

Paraldehyde (acetaldehyde cyclic trimer) is used as a drug like ethanol, believe it or not, so either acetaldehyde itself is active, or there is some fraction of acetaldehyde that gets metabolized "backwards" through alcohol dehydrogenase to form ethyl alcohol. I believe both of these facts are true, actually, and both acetaldehyde and ethanol are active as depressant drugs in vivo.

Increasing evidence shows that acetaldehyde (ACD), the first metabolite of ethanol, is implicated in mediating the reinforcing properties of ethanol
The findings of the present study provide new insights on the involvement of the endogenous opioid system in the reinforcing effects of ACD. In fact, the present experiments demonstrate that ACD requires the activation of opioid receptors to maintain its oral self-administration.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21803531

Paraldehyde (acetaldehyde cyclic trimer) is used as a drug like ethanol, believe it or not, so either acetaldehyde itself is active, or there is some fraction of acetaldehyde that gets metabolized "backwards" through alcohol dehydrogenase to form ethyl alcohol. I believe both of these facts are true, actually, and both acetaldehyde and ethanol are active as depressant drugs in vivo.
Is there a reason to think that paraldehyde is not an active drug? It seems like it could potentially be an allosteric modulator of ion channels. Paraldehyde is sometimes used as an anticonvulsant and it is hard to believe that those therapeutic effects are due to either acetaldehyde or ethanol.

Drinking acetaldehyde gives me a foggy head plus hangover headache and skin flushing...

I'm assuming that's a joke. Why would one ingest that?

Anyway, I want some opinions on 1-ethylcyclopentanol carbamate. I know this is somewhat uncharted territory, but I need the opinions of more experienced people.

It is basically a cyclic carbamate like ethinamate except it doesn't have the triple bond and it is a cyclopentanol instead of cyclohexanol.

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.120733.html?rid=b13c5475-980b-42f9-a0f7-06ca95d1862b

...it is the carbamate of that. Would it be safe for me to ingest this (just a few times for testing)? It is metabolized to an acid and diol. The ethyl group becomes an acid. Would this odd cyclic acid be relatively easy to eliminate from the body or would it cause a buildup in fat tissue or other toxicity?

And to update with my testing. The 1-ethylcyclpentanol itself (I tested a couple grams on myself) - It has very nice GABA effects, but unlike the 2-methyl-2-butanol or 3m3p, it seems to have less of an NMDA effect and more of a stoning effect. It doesn't have that crispness of a slight NMDA agonist if you know what I mean. It is more like xanax than alcohol. So far I like the 3m3p the best, but yeah. . .

I'm assuming that's a joke. Why would one ingest that?

It is not a joke... It is literally real.
To add it has very acrid taste too.... even when diluted. And the smell just so strong that i need to use another hand to close nostril to chug it in. (1 ml in 1 "gulp of water") followed by a whole glass of water.
To summarize it actually has some depressant effect, plus EVERY symptom of alcohol hangover... eh...
That was 12 years ago though.

PS. The 2m2b metabolic pathway images (first one) you used is mine right? I remember i drew that and posted it in some thread i can't remember which one.
I dont mind using what I posted, but just want to remind you that when you quote or use someone else 's properties you should give the reference where you took it from, even if it's a picture or chart.
Just because there might be some 'serious' ones that cares alot bout their 'published goods'
(You dont need to ref. to me -- i dont care, just a reminder cos you start writing something like research articles)

Paraldehyde? you must be shitting me. No thanks. It stinks, both literally and metaphorically.

Is it still used? I suppose its a better option than a grand mal tonic-clonic. But not by much. Eats plastic too (not that that trait in particular marks it out as a shitty drug, but the thought of the smell of the stuff makes my insides cringe.)

Just think of it as half way between a revolting hangover and slug pellets (metaldehyde is the tetramer of acetaldehyde) and you won't go far wrong.

Which one of these alcohols mentioned in the article is the strongest NMDA antagonist?

I thought they just indirectly influence nmda channels because noone ever drinks and feels like they are floating above their body

They do have some efficacy as NMDA channel blockers, usually that's only relevant at high doses, e.g. being blackout drunk.

NMDA antagonism doesn't always cause out of body experiences.