• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Research alcohols, carbamates and antique sedatives

Which one of these alcohols mentioned in the article is the strongest NMDA antagonist?

As sekio said, this hasn't been measured as I don't have a formal lab. However, based on subjective effects, maybe the 3m3p, but it is not much more than the 2m2b so you're better off with that. But anyway, none of these should be consumed as actual drugs (and that's not just a disclaimer). Most of these taste like gasoline. The carbamate esters don't taste bad at all, but they haven't been tested enough and it's not worth the risk of cancer or some weird kidney disease.

Unlike with shulgin, these discoveries can't be immediately used as drugs because the dose is so high (grams instead of mg). Toxicity must be evaluated first. There is a study with mice showing high levels (I think it was about 16g per day or something) of 3m3p, but I wouldn't count on it. Personally, I also selfishly ingested a lot of 3m3p as well because I really like it and have no problems. I had a kidney test done a while back and it was fine, but I wouldn't count on it because I notice a decreased urine output for at least a day after I take it and I'm not sure why. My point is, don't go buy this shit and just start taking it like a drug - that would be dumb.

It would be really nice if a true lab could take up my research or if I could collaborate with one.

They do have some efficacy as NMDA channel blockers, usually that's only relevant at high doses, e.g. being blackout drunk.

NMDA antagonism doesn't always cause out of body experiences.

Not exactly. Yes, if you want to have an OBE then this is not going to do it for you, but there is definitely more NMDA than normal ethanol (even at moderate doses).

Well, older sedatives were mostly alcohols, the best known being chloral hydrate and ethchlorvynol, methylpentynol was pretty popular too. Triple bonds and the presence of electronegative subtitutents increases the potency. (Can't see the article, it says it's private)

Randomclean, use sci-hub.io or sci-hub.cc

Paywall crackers, gods gift to bluelighters, academics, hobbyists and clandestine chemists the world over.

IIRC, the concentration-dependence of ethanol's effects are as follows:

Low = NMDA-R negative allosteric modulator (disinhibition)
Moderate = GABA-A positive allosteric modulator (sedation)
High = AMPA-R negative allosteric modulator (anesthesia)

EDIT: Yup, according to this study, ethanol is more potent at NMDA-R than GABA-A

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10094141

Last edited:
I just took a higher dose of 1-ethylcyclopentanol (5ml) (not to be confused with the more commonly known ethynylated hexanol) - don't want to wreak my liver with triple bonds.

The effects are not too bad. At a low dose it just seemed a little annoying and like anhedonia, but it's pretty nice now. Compared to 2m2b or ethanol, it feels more like an opiate to me. There is little in mental effects, but my body feels pretty numb and nice. The more I type, I can tell that my coordination is slowed. It's not really satisfying though like I feel like I keep wanting more (I'm careful). It's tastes like gasoline though, so that should deter me enough :)

Anyway, I still have the carbamate of it to try, but I'm trying to space my usage of it out enough to prevent any toxicity, as it is an untested chemical.

I really don't think I like it as much as the 3m3p though (that's still my favorite).

Do ion channel inhibition play any role in dopamine release in the reward centers?

Synaps, willing to reveal your work in a place it can be sourced, viewed, without eating your bandwidth or are you aiming at keeping it your own until finished?

I first learned this was possible in the 2M2B "Vodka" thread

Someone mentioned a question on a WP talk page saying that "2-methyl-2-butanol in favor to ethanol would likely pass a breathalyzer as it is a tertiary alcohol (ethanol being a 1' by comparison) and it neither reduces chromate nor has the same IR signature as ethanol." which I find very grey market marketable, esp. being more potent per proof.

(I remember another thread where the viability of imbibing ether in extremely small doses was discussed with much seriousness. I know a few who have drank small portions of things as near to pure caustic, corrosive, poison, as can be that many would assume to be fatal and were not; for harm reduction I won't make volunteer mention of what household product it was in its amount, being one of the individuals silly enough to do this was myself, though I must say the experience was unique and not in the least unbearable or painful or 'body poisoned' feeling; oddly, 'toxic' mental *feel* maybe, but same with a lot of recreational psychoactives)

Ether? sure its drinkable. Ideally diluted, or followed by a chaser. (think something like a jagerbomb). It is pretty potent though, as is diisopropyl ether. The latter doesn't taste as good though (and has a nasty peroxidation tendency. Not that there is much of such a thing as a 'nice' peroxidation tendency in ethers prone to it. Or floated on an icy cold drink. Don't know if my signature cocktail recipe would ever take off in a bar...maybe, now the smoking ban is in force here, and it sure has to be safer than those nutcase liquid nitrogen-including drinks (these have killed a few people who didn't allow it to evaporate BEFORE swallowing)

IIRC the russkis/polish used to float it on milk. Sounds like it'd taste like shite. I don't mind either, but not together. Gives me the same mental image as somebody who recently mentioned eating a chocolate pizza.

IMO bypassing a breathalyzer is a pretty igfuckingnoble aim for such a product. 'hey, makes it easier to get shitfaced and kill kids'

I found some interesting toxicity reports on 2M2B:

CASE REPORTS/ The ingestion of 27 g of 2-methyl-2-butanol (amylene hydrate) by an adult female resulted in unconsciousness within 0.5 hr, marked signs of intoxication through the following day, and complete recovery after 14 days. Ingestion of 18 g of 2-methyl-2-butanol by an adult resulted in unconsciousness, a deep sleep lasting more than one day, and a slow recovery. The administration of an enema of approximately 29 g of 2-methyl-2-butanol to an adult male resulted in death after 53 hr, but the case was complicated by concurrent pneumonia in the patient.
[Snyder, R. (ed.). Ethel Browning's Toxicity and Metabolism of Industrial Solvents. Second Edition. Volume 3 Alcohols and Esters. New York, NY: Elsevier, 1992., p. 173] **PEER REVIEWED**

Normal dose of 2m2b is 5ml/5g
They took 25g which is 5 times a notmal dose and ewuates to drinking 2 liter vodka in once

More than the death, I am amazed one can take those doses and not be violently ill/hungover for the next 24 hours.

A tert. alcohol is less likely to produce a hangover. With EtOH the hangover is in a large part due to acetaldehyde
a metabolite of EtOH. Aldehydes are harsh on the body as a rule, and acetaldehyde is nasty stuff, not so acutely toxic as formaldehyde in the context of a metabolite, but its still vile stuff. Whether a metabolite of ethanol or in he pure state, its toxic, volatile and it stinks. Generally just unpleasant to work with.

However, a 3' alcohol like tert.pentanol can't undergo oxidization to an aldehyde in vivo so should be a great deal less prone to
causing those filthy hangovers that EtOH does.

Anyone here know if the carbamate on Soma is actually needed for activity or can one ingest 2-Methyl-2-propyl-1,3-propanediol and expect the same effects?

I would suggest 1-propanol or
1-pentanol. As the chain length increases, duration decreases (is inversely proportional to).

1-propanol.png

1-propanol

1-pentanol.png

1-pentanol

Have tried both 1-propanol and 1-pentanol as well as 1-butanol, 1-pentanol was most interesting from my memory.

Still going to mention 2-Methyl-2-propyl-1,3-propanediol as I want to know if it has promise.

Yes, it does hold potential as it is distantly related to the barbiturates.

Has anybody tried acetone aldol alcohol

or Diethyl carbamate?

A lot of the older bunk stuff fell into disusage.