• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Phenibut withdrawal/taper w fasoracetam

Scrillion

Bluelighter
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm hoping I can get some first hand experiences re my problem. I got myself into quite a mess. Long story short, over the last 5 weeks I was using both Kratom and Phenibut. I'm so disappointed that I let myself become dependent. But it is what it is. So now I'm trying to get myself healthy. I cold turkeyed the Kratom about 10 days ago. It's been real rough. It seems that since I've been through Kratom withdrawals recently it has made this time (the last time) much more painful and drawn out. But I'm getting through it. The other problem I have is that I've been taking 3-4 grams of phenibut a day for about 5 weeks. I'm terrified of the phenibut withdrawals. I plan on tapering slowly over a month or so once I get through the Kratom withdrawals. I've seen some reports on the web of people using fasoracetam to either help or completely eliminate phenibut withdrawals. I've purchased some and have it ready to go. My question is has anyone had success using fasoracetam to deal with phenibut withdrawals? I could really use some helpful first hand experiences. Thank you so much! I'm in a lot of pain and I'm really scared.

I have used it for the hangover the next day, but never let myself get an actual habit to phenibut. You've only been doing it a month. It will suck, but do a short taper. Use the fasoracetam adjunctively and experiment with dose. Also, try to get some lyrica or gabapentin, just enough to take for the first few days being off. you should be able to do this fairly cleanly.

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences with tapering off Phenibut after a month or so of use. Thank you!!

Mexidol (Emoxypine), Sulbutiamine, bioavailable Turmeric extract, Valerian root extract, Ashwagandha extract and Lion's Mane mushroom extract are very good in combination to bring me back to feeling normal after pretty much anything. If using herbals, make sure to use high quality extracts and not just dried herbs.

I'd be curious to try Fasoracetam but imo it's not worth the money. Id rather go for Sunifiram instead if looking for an interesting nootropic that is active in mgs dose.

I assume you are hoping to upregulate the GABA b receptors based on what I read on wiki with fasoracetam.

I haven't tried that racetam but I doubt it help acute withdrawal as it's likely the result of continued use vs acute action on the receptors.

Yes there seems to be a lot of conflicting info about how fasoracetam actually works, but most agree that it does upregulate gaba b receptors. I've read 5 or 6 accounts of people using it to deal with Phenibut withdrawal with great results. Several people report going cold turkey and having almost no symptoms. I definitely don't plan on trying that. I'm tapering down 300 mg every 3-4 days. That seems to have been a very successful way to taper for a lot of people. I'll supplement with the fasoracetam as needed. If it exacerbates symptoms I'll stop taking it. In fact I'm very encouraged by the tapering posts I've read. Sounds like if you go at the rate I'm doing it's fairly painless. I've only been on it 5 weeks so I'm hoping for the best.

Thank you for all your responses. I really appreciate it. If anyone else has any successful Phenibut taper stories to share I would love to hear them. I don't need to hear the nightmare stories. I've read enough of them to scare the shit outta me. Thanks again!

This isn't an experience I have to tell you but just a little advice...

On top of whatever you choose to use to help you thru your WD's, make sure to do your best to stay physically active and spend time around people that can help cheer you up and distract you.

The power of our naturally produced endorphins is often undervalued.

Good luck!

Thanks JamesBrown. Great advice! Yes, unfortunately I've been through withdrawals before (not from Phenibut) and excersize helped speed things up and help me feel better more than anything I've tried. It's extremely helpful. I'd say it's essential.Thank you for the post.

Unfortunately I don't really have a way to access baclofen or gabapentin. Which is to bad, it sounds like they both work well for getting off Phenibut.

Last edited:
I was actually editing it when you were deleting it, as I just read the user agreement. My apologies. Thanks

I tried some of the fasoracetam yesterday. Made me feel off. Decided that I'll wait to use it when I jump. I've been using agmatine as well. Right now I'm stabilized at 3 grams of Phenibut. Had some insomnia for a few nights but slept pretty well last night. Still feeling the Kratom withdrawals too. If I sleep well tonight I'll drop by 300 mg tomorrow. I was at a little over 4 grams for a week or so before I dropped to 3 grams a few days ago. I feel ok. A lot better than I did a week ago. But definitely not great. I'll take progress though.

Last edited:
Holy shit, I feel a million times better than just a couple days ago. I was going for long walks the first two weeks of withdrawals when I felt like death. However the last couple days I started going to the gym and getting some serious cardio and it has pushed my recovery into high gear. In the last two days I've improved by miles, while the previous 2 weeks I felt like I was inching along, at best. My appetite finally came back this afternoon. I was actually hungry at lunch time and by dinner I was ready to get it on. Went and plowed through like $60 worth of sushi and seaweed salad and edamame. It was exactly what the Dr ordered. Slept pretty well last night. First night in 3+ weeks that I didn't drench the sheets with night sweats. I've been smoking a decent amount of heavy indica the last few days. A week ago the weed was not helpful at all. Now it feels lovely. Anxiety is markedly better. Depression cloud has mostly lifted. Still have some serious head fog though and I can just tell I'm still a week or two from 100%. Still feeling some fatigue. It's easily bearable now though. Spirits are pretty damn good. Cognition is markedly better. I also upped my dosage of agamatine from 1/2 gram 2 x a day to 1 gram 2 x a day. I take it just before I take the Phenibut. Today I dropped from 3,000 mg to 2,700. I think it will be pretty easy until I get to lower dosages. We shall see. If I get withdrawal symptoms as I taper down I'll just stabilize at that dose until I feel better. I'm very optimistic about the taper now. I figure if I have a few rough days or few nights of insomnia towards the end or when I jump at least the suffering will be tolerable and short lived. I still plan on taking the fasoracetam for a few days or a week after I jump. Not sure if the agmatine is helping but it sure as hell isnt hurting. Something is working. So I'm sticking to what I'm doing. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I know I still have the toughest part of the taper ahead, but after reading other accounts of this type of taper I think I'm going to experience minimal symptoms. I'll update this thread with progress reports. Also, I think I forgot to mention in my original post that a couple years ago I went through cold turkey benzo withdrawals after just 6 weeks of use. Not a terribly long time to be using benzos but by the end of the six weeks I was popping like 6 or 8 mg of Klonopin a day. Those withdrawals were the most traumatizing experience of my whole life. Good lord. Anyways, last month when I was out of wack I stole a handful of Klonopin from my wife. I'm pretty damn sure that it threw me into withdrawals. I now believe I was experiencing both Kratom and Klonopin withdrawals the last few weeks. Jesus...never ever again.

Last edited:
Also, I recommend NOT drinking strong Kava while going through benzo withdrawals. I did for the first week I felt like shit and I think it made me much sicker. Felt better when I stopped, though I still felt really awful for another 9 days. What a mess. I should also mention that I take Lexapro and I think it has helped the anxiety and depression associated with withdrawals. From now on I'm just Lexapro and Indica. Nothing else. Peace!

Dropped to 2700 mg Phenibut yesterday. Sleep was plentiful last night but I had some night sweats and crazy dreams. Woke up a few times to use the bathroom but that's normal for me anyway. I've been taking hydroxyzine and doxylamine to help with sleep. Taking 4000 mg fish oil a day too. Today I feel pretty good so far. I'll stay at 2700 mg today and if I feel ok tonight and in the morning I'll probably drop to 2400 mg tomorrow. Once I get below 2100 mg a day I'll probably space the drops out be at least 3 days. Maybe 4. From what I've read that's when it can start to get a litttke tough. I'm optimistic though. The taper stories I've read involve much longer use times than my 5 weeks and the doses we're generally larger than mine as well. Many of them reported very minimal withdrawal symptoms with thier taper. I'll continue to update progress.

Dropped to 2400 mg Phenibut yesterday. Slept pretty well last night. Had some morning anxiety but that went away pretty quickly. I walk a couple miles every morning and that always helps tremendously with symptoms. Still going to the gym in the afternoon/evening, which seems to be helping more than anything. It helps a LOT. Feel weird but not too bad. I've cut most the excess sugar out of my diet over the last week which I know helps me feel better. Taking magnesium, theanine and fish oil every day. I'll update soon.

I've been on Phenibut for over a year. At its worse, it was 2.7 grams 5 times a day. Luckily with my neuropathy, I was prescribed Lyrica. I was able to (stupidly, I admit) to go from that to 1.1 grams in two weeks. The Lyrica made these jumps quite easy. And I have a Baclofen refill coming soon. Seems alright,.

But now I'm starting to feel that these 300mg jumps I was doing before, are not applicable now that I'm down to almost a gram.

Question (I'd make a forum but I'm a greenlighter): does the smaller the dose you get to on a taper make it harder to taper in general?

And the last thing. When someone is off Phenibut completely, what are the residual side-effects? Not including the damage to your GABAb receptors, for there are posts on that. But what should I expect? Will my Klonopin still work? (meaning, does large doses cross from GABAb to GABAa)