• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is Marijuana a gateway drug?

ImDeliriant

Bluelighter
I'm an experienced drug user and I've always heard people say that marijuana is a gateway drug. To witch my response is usually I've never smoked/consumed marijuana, but people reply with I'm lying and they don't believe me. The only sunstances I've used are dxm, dph, lsa, lsd, n20, hydrocodone, vyvanse, adderall, alcohol, and I'm sure that I'm forgetting some other drugs I've used. But back to my main point do any of you guys feel that marijuana is a gateway drug?

From a physiological point I would say no. I doubt cannabis rewires a persons brain meaning they then crave different drug experiences.

However I'd say yes from a sociological point of view. It's the cheapest, most available recreational drug that most people will start experimenting with, particularly as a teenager. It's perceived as safer to smoke than perhaps picking up a smack habit straight off the bat. After that it is easy to understand why people are perhaps more inclined to discover harder drug experiences whether because the initial taboo is overcome or perhaps being exposed to different drugs via dealers or drug taking friends. Obviously if a kid has access to pharmaceuticals then jumping from a few Oxys to a heroin habit is understandable.

Disagreeing because you never went through the most common route is a little like arguing that heroin isn't addictive because I've used it a couple of times and never became a junkie.

Besides everyone knows the one true gateway drug is breast milk

I don't have a hard stance on the issue. It is just that I haven't used marijuana so I don't really understand the gateway theory that well. Although I do feel that both of you made extremely valid points on the subject and I do agree with you.

It's a gateway drug only if you've been told all your life that it will do horribly damaging things to you, make you a zombie, kill you, etc. as once you try it and find out it does none of that and is actually incredibly safe, you'll then begin to question what they had to say about every other drug.

Why haven't you given weed a go?

i would say that its just that you don't have access to anything illegal if it weren't for the lsd that you listed. seems like you should be able to get your hands on weed if you can access lsd

Last edited:
Yes, basically what psy said. Although, if thats the case we should also consider tobacco to be a gateway drug, as well as, one of the first to show the hypocrisy of abstinence only drug education. At least for me it was the first to make me question the way we were being taught to just say no. Our teacher gave us our red "say no to drugs" ribbons to wear, and she not only stank like stale smoke, but could be seen lighting up in the parking lot.

I have access to weed. I've just never felt there was any reason for me to try it.

I guess it technically was the first drug I obtained on my own and I smoke daily so there's that, but it was Ambien and oxycodone that got me into other drugs

It's more of a "sitting on the lawn" kinda drug than a "gateway" drug to me :)
Whatever floats yer boat though.

It probably was for me.. weed was of course the first drug I've ever tried.. I also told myself 'I would never even touch ANY hard drug'

and look at me now..

Opiate and Benzo addict.. lol

Absolutely if your weed dealer also sells other drugs. Which is why I think legalization makes it less of one...

As pointed out. Cannabis is the gateway into the world of illegal drugs.

As people argue that cannabis drags people into other drugs. In my experience it also works the other way. Cannabis is quit psychedelic - with no tolerance. A lot of people don't like to be "out of their mind" and associate other illegal drugs with cannabis. There logic is: When i didn't like cannabis the other stuff will not appeal to me, too. They just tried weed, didn't liked the headspace and never went further with drugs. But most of these people do enjoy alcohol very much.

Therefore i conclude: If people have the urgent need to find a gateway drug, then is cannabis the best gateway drug ever! Because if other drugs (e.g. cocaine and amphetamine) would be the entry into the world of - illegal - drugs, society would look probably a little bit other then now.

alcohol is more of a gateway drug.

many people are likely to try a new drug (be it a line of coke, pill of X, tab of acid, dab/pot toke) while drunk. i've seen it happen many times..

weed is just easily blamed as it was pointed out in the post above that it'll likely make you more okay with trying other illegal drugs but in my opinion, alcohol will make people try new things more so than having smoked weed for several months..

As pointed out. Cannabis is the gateway into the world of illegal drugs.

Yeah. Although I think that cannabis culture is a bit different from other illegal drug subcultures...it's benefited from widespread permissiveness on the part of the general public, which was taking place well before widespread legalization in the American West.

With that being said, I think there's a moment in the career of just about every long-term cannabis consumer when they touch the world of hardcore illegal substance abusers/"real criminals" in order to acquire some weed (if they came of age in a legal climate in which cannabis users were persecuted)

Is alcohol a gateway drug?

What qualifies something as a gateway drug anyways?

Is it a gateway drug if you get a rx for Morphine and Oxycodone?

Yeah probably at least for me but I don't blame the doctors.

I think people are responsible for their own actions..MJ is one of the rare drugs used socially that doesn't isn't physically addictive, hell it doesn't really impare you after a while. I am trying to think of any drug besides tobacco with as little harm and who really knows what is worse for you lungs but new technology and edibles becoming more popular mj seems to be the drug with the least consequences.

Any drug that puts you around other drugs leaves you access sure but if you came for mj and left with crack too, you kinda made that decision on your own.

I just used weed because it was easy to get. I honestly don't care for it; I always knew I wanted hard drugs.